Revolution

We couldn't get our act together to host an Open Class show this year but we were able to help Revolution find a place to rest on their way through Kansas City.

Thanks to one of our Kansas City contacts, Greg Wright, Revolution of San Antonio, TX will be able to stay at Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, KS June 23, 2008.

Hopefully this will stir some people in our area and wake them up to Drum Corps again. :tongue:

Edited by Kansan

That's awesome.

We just learned of new regulations on the state level in TX that's going to make it even MORE tough to host corps overnight :(

That's awesome.

We just learned of new regulations on the state level in TX that's going to make it even MORE tough to host corps overnight :(

What regulations are those? We are still trying to find housing around the Houston show date so this info may come in handy.

Chris Magonigal

Assistant Corps Director

Revolution DBC

School Districts now have to report all utilities activities to the state on a monthly basis. Any big deviations that aren't justifiable for a SCHOOL BASED ENSEMBLE will cause the rates to be rasied for the districts. It's one of their cost cutting measures. That cost will be put over to outside organizations, or access will be denied to the organizations. They are also limited how janitors are used for the non-school hour events (which actually does make sense) - they are no longer required to be at the event the entire time for most events. They can be there 2 hours before or after for prep and clean-up.

I know two corps that used schools in TX this year for winter camps have since gotten big bills for the use of the schools that were originally supposed to be free. I won't mention who.

Wow...that's just another example of how difficult things are logistically. Housing is a bigger problem than rising fuel expenses in my opinion.

Good luck.

-GM

We were going to try and host an Open Class show but we could not get enough support housing wise for 6 Corps.

It's going to take some major insider support to get facilities for such a project.

I'm really amazed t how much red tape the larger School districts put up to block use of their facilities in the last 10 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greg Wright (Argonne 1972 and 73) for securing housing for Revolution Drum & Bugle Corps to rest and rehearse (R&R) on their way North.

Greg's inner circle in Kansas City Kansas did a fine job of allowing the use of Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, KS. There was discussion between the School Pricipal (who is a Blue Devils fan) and the Director of Revolution about possibly staying in KC again.

Revolution performed a run through of their show, which is complete from opener to closer. The people who attended were enthusiastic about the product.

Revolution of Texas may have sparked a small Drum Corps Revolution in KC.

review?

Good show performed well that of course needs a little clean up. They should peek at around finals.

From what I saw the stringest part of this corps is the Battery and Pit followed by the Brass Line and Guard.

The Guard looked like they had a couple people who may have joined later as they were still learning drill and moves.

They Still had a Contra and Mellophone Spot open on the 23rd. Man, if I was 21 years younger I would have joined up right there.

Good show performed well that of course needs a little clean up. They should peek at around finals.

From what I saw the stringest part of this corps is the Battery and Pit followed by the Brass Line and Guard.

The Guard looked like they had a couple people who may have joined later as they were still learning drill and moves.

They Still had a Contra and Mellophone Spot open on the 23rd. Man, if I was 21 years younger I would have joined up right there.

My brother plays rack in the pit for Revo. They definitely have had several guard members join late. They wouldn't let them march in the exhibition show in San Antonio 'cause they didn't know the show well enough yet.

I get to go see them in July when they return to San Antonio for the DCI SW Championship. It'll be my first DCI show ever, and I get to see them, the Blue Devils, Cavs, Santa Clara, and oh man, I'm excited. I'm so proud of that kid.