Head Hunters

This is for now....there's so many holes being advertised on DCP right now, plus many that are not being advertised, and I am 100% positive that there is at least one kid somewhere in the world who would march one of those spots if they just had someone telling them about it.

*raises hand*

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are called "free Agents" that could sign up on a shared data base.

The kid pays $25 to be repped by the database

The corps pay the data base on a per person basis to get the best available person for the hole to be filled.

No one really makes money but at least expenses are covered.

Imagine 16 kids all each a different position, traveling in a small bus with the tour.

On day 1 & 2 the 16 kids stay with Cadets, learn the warm-up etc. Understand the show concept etc.

day 3 & 4 the kids camp with BD and do same as above, then on to another corps.

The kids stay in shape, learn alot about each corps and it's staff and the whole time ready to jump in at a moments notice and learn a spot.

Ok, heres another thought..........

Let the kids pay a tour fee and travel the whole summer in the 16 pass. bus and are known as "The Replacements"

Once say a trumpet is taken, the next kid sitting at home joins the Replacements ( or, the Apprentices)....and so on.

A great way to see how every major corps operates, a chance to stay in shape, learn from instructors of all major corps and see some really great shows all summer long.

The kids pay the cost of the gas and the bus, all the corps feed them and house them.

I'll be a driver !

I LOVE this idea! Send a couple of cameras along too, and it can be a reality series on TV for those of us who stay at home all summer!

That's a great idea and logic would tell you it would be easy to pull off. But, corps don't share their information with anyone including DCI.

Not true. Some corps share their cut list with others. For example, earlier years at Capital Regiment -- we'd get kids that didn't make it into, say, Colts or Bluecoats. Colts, Bluecoats would share a cut-list and encourage kids to try out at other corps.

I've always wondered at the mentality of kids that decide "if I can't march Instrument X with Corps Y, then I have better things to do with my summer." That's sad.

Even within a corps, I've seen a kid not make the snare line, offered a spot on bass or front ensemble, and they turn it down, because they have themselves convinced they are "good enough" for snare but somebody just didn't like them.

We had an exceptional crop of about 18 snare-hopefulls try out for Kilties this year. Two camps later it was whittled down to eight. One young guy was cut, but offered another spot (tennors, I think). But he had decided it was an "all or nothing" deal for him. He only wanted to do this if he could be snare with Kilties. That made me sad.

For myself, I see the bigger picture: I just want to be on the field. This year I'm bouncing between pit, baritone and backfield conductor. I'm happy just to be in uniform and have these friends. I wish more kids "got" that about the activity.

I have also talked to kids that want to get their one year of drum corps as part of their music education "resume." That contributes. "I only have one year to do this, and I want to have "played X with Y drum and bugle corps on my resume.

And yeah, the networking thing is there, and works between friendly corps. When Cap Sound decided to take the year off, quite suddenly, you had a bunch of kids in a bad situation. Some went to Pioneer. We picked up an outstanding young gentleman to fill a remaining spot in Kilties. And now he's really excited by our program and the fact that he can do corps -- just on weekends. Great guy. Wish we had room for his friends.

I've often thought each corps should have a recruiting coordinator. Maybe somebody who is also on the instructional staff with good connections to area music educators. This person can put together pamphlets, videos, schedule presentations at area schools and contests, maintain and assemble email lists of prospects, etc. Top 6 types prob don't need this but I think it would be great for everybody else. Somebody who can bridge well from the drum corps world to the scholastic world.

.... -Corps history or reputation was a non-factor, as I had almost no corps knowledge when the calls came in.

-Cadets wanted close to 2k in membership dues. Canos wanted about $300.

-Both were long distances away (I was in FL) but Canos picked up my airfare.

Essentially, I made a practical financial decision that probably defies logic for most people here. I'm sure MANY people who have marched with various corps have based their decisions on factors other than competitive success.

And I bet you had just as much fun, and made just as good of friends that summer as you would have with the other corps. $300 for 'Canos? That's what I pay in my corps.

See you at St. Paul or St. Peter shows?

And I bet you had just as much fun, and made just as good of friends that summer as you would have with the other corps. $300 for 'Canos? That's what I pay in my corps.

See you at St. Paul or St. Peter shows?

That I did! Made friends and contacts, and got good experience and exposure to the activity in general. Honestly, if I had taken the Cadets offer I doubt I would have lasted a week. I had no idea what I was getting into, and Canos was enough of a shock at the time. I simply wouldn't have been mentally or physically prepared to jump into a top 12 corps in June. Especially not Cadets. That probably would have turned me off to corps completely. (Not bagging the Cadets here, just commenting on myself at that time)

It also gave me an opportunity to learn about the different top corps, and ultimately choose the one that best fit me both in performance style and philosophy. Basically, the best thing that ever happened to me. No regrets at all over where I marched.

And I'll be at both the St. Paul and St. Peter shows. We're also making it out to the Madison show on the 28th. :tongue:

I've often thought each corps should have a recruiting coordinator. Maybe somebody who is also on the instructional staff with good connections to area music educators. This person can put together pamphlets, videos, schedule presentations at area schools and contests, maintain and assemble email lists of prospects, etc. Top 6 types prob don't need this but I think it would be great for everybody else. Somebody who can bridge well from the drum corps world to the scholastic world.

The top 6 certainly do have people doing those things. All corps -- to some degree. Some are paid staff, most are volunteers. Many have booths at the major State Music Educators Association conferences, BOA, WGI and anyplace else you have a concentration of youth musicians. I was one of those people -- for Cap Reg. I did it as a volunteer for several years, and then was paid to do it, Jan-April of 2006. It was part of my "Marketing and Development" function.

The biggest show is Texas MEA. In Feb 2006 I drove our recruiting booth to Texas MEA convention and recruited some kids. YEA! was there, SCV, Blue Knights... Ralph Hardimon was on staff in 2006, and he spent some time in the Cap Reg booth talking to kids.

Kilties and Pioneer have even had information booths at the US Open Brass Band Championships in Chicago (a fun time!!!) Dallas Niermeyer (DCI adjudication) and his son run that event.

We'd do mailings to every HS in Ohio. The band director at Ohio State University even offered to let us come talk at band rehearsal. I had recruiting booths at Ohio MEA from 1999-2002. You have all those "All-state" kids running around. Great opportunity. You also end up talking with band directors that say,"You know, I have a kid in my program that I'd like to see in drum corps..."

With Kilties, in the past, we've had an info booth at WI-MEA, and we've learned (as well as Madison, Cap Sound, Pioneer and Racine Scouts) a great place is to have booth space/souvie space at the State scholastic marching band championships.

Something I think corps overlook as a powerful recruiting tool is concerts and exhibitions. Kilties are doing a few exhibition performances at area summer band circuit competitions. For us, that's a huge recruiting opportunity.

But we've also got Scott Stewart now as our director, and between him and his "network" and writers/staff that have come with him -- it seems like everyone wants to be a part of what we're doing.

Edited by dannyboy

And I'll be at both the St. Paul and St. Peter shows. We're also making it out to the Madison show on the 28th. :tongue:

Cool. You'll see Kilties at the DCI show in Madison on the 28th (get there really early!) This is a cool show when my wife and I march (Kilties) at the same show as my stepson (in his 4th season with Madison). And you can stop by Kiltie practice and say "Hi" to Scott Stewart. You'll run into a number of your fellow Scout alumns with us. I think we're practicing in an adjoining parking lot to the stadium - staying in the dorms. You're NOT going to believe our show this year.

Cool. You'll see Kilties at the DCI show in Madison on the 28th (get there really early!) This is a cool show when my wife and I march (Kilties) at the same show as my stepson (in his 4th season with Madison). And you can stop by Kiltie practice and say "Hi" to Scott Stewart. You'll run into a number of your fellow Scout alumns with us. I think we're practicing in an adjoining parking lot to the stadium - staying in the dorms. You're NOT going to believe our show this year.

Well, pre-show time is probably tied up with Chops rehearsal and warmup. But I plan to make the rounds as best I can to meet up with brothers and old friends.