The Official 2008 Phantom Regiment Discussion Thread

To reprise somone elses sentiments after watching SanAntonio live on the web, I to did the same:

"Thank you Phantom Regiment! You actually brought me to tears tonight in San Antonio. I have cheered wildly for certain shows over the years and the last time I actually cried was after my Grandmother was in tears in the stands watching Regimnents' 1994 production in Allentown. I had that same emotion tonight remembering her, remembering the FIRST time I saw Regiment live in 1982 and just bawled"

THANK YOU REGIMENT! And I am sure there is much more in store and I KNOW, from watching/listening that there is MUCH more to come in the ending , and I agree that the yelling og "I am Spartacus" needs more intonation and BETTER phrasing. It needs to sound correct.... "Spahr-TA-Kus". I criinge when I here them say it now.... and please NO WOMEN until the final front/reprise en mass! Just IMHO, Regoments' staff is free to do as they will, but if I were a judge, I'd dock them for that. Also, the DM "act" of 'Live or Die" REALLY, REALLY needs to be there..... especially the way they are playing the execution mid-field now. Withe the DM holding the saber to Spartacus' throat. Also -- Get rid of the dead time betweem movements...... it's killing the flow!

I Miss the huge sword in Mvt3 and feel it would have been excellent if retained and rotated toward 'Spartacus' (or who evers')dead body toward the 50 - with the tip/point aiming right at him with the guard switching to red flags dropped around him to simulate his blood being shed. Gee... that would be a visual moment which would be hard to equal in effect and emotion ... but hey, just me doing my "Wishful Thinking".

In any event, i will see/hear/spend some time with the corps the week of August 1st and will have a much better feel/earful when seen "in person". Greg Newell.... I will work for free as a visual consultant, I will be spending time with the corps volunteering the week of August 1st-and will have a better 'feel/ear' for what is fielded then. IF ANY REGIMENT STAFFERS READ THIS --- please IM me as I needs to turn over some $$$$ for a members dues as well as co-ordinate getting 5 cases of Gatorade to the food truck!

Until then, keep doing what you are doing Regiment -- the people LOVE YOU and love this years show....

People are still talking about PR's 1982 version and it did not win a medal -- hopefully this year will be different, BUT OF NOT -- it will be remembered as what Tony Hall said..... and epic in music, motion and motif! YOU ARE GORGEOUS, POWERFUL, PASSIONATE and exactly what the Drum Corps Community needs -- a beutiful story one can follow. What is a ring or a medal anyway? Yes it's prosperity, a device for pride and prowess, but really, what matters most is that 10-15 years from now, fan and phans alike will still be gloating about this years show -- whether or not it won gold. The trivial things in live often sit and gather dust, or, become too small or tatered to wear... but a feeling, a memory and a story such as this is simply..............

PRICELESS !!!!!!!

SUTA BABY!

Edited by PRPhan4ever

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the San Antonio APD, it sounds like the pronunciation of Spartacus near the end is improving compared to the previous APD. We're getting "Sparty-Cuss" instead of "Spartie-kiss", at least. Let's try for a spar-tah-cuss shall we? :-)

Also, it seems like the "live or die" prompt got the axe or the mic went dead at SA. Without it, it seems a little muddled because you have the audience yelling LIVE! or DIE! as well as the members.

Did anyone notice that the Rockford Register proudly announced Regiment's win in LA. An easy mistake to make since Crown's score was not on the DCI site, but Regiment is listed as second in the main score page and on the recap. Hopefully THAT sort of thing won't last.

Seems like it's guard and visual that is keeping them down, so, I hope the guard can really dig deep and pull some great performances out, and that the staff can do whatever it takes to fix whatever it is the judges don't like ( er, within reason, of course! :-) )

That's too bad the right scores weren't on DCI.org. The asst city editor at the Register Star does a terrific job of making sure PR's results get in the paper each night. He's always watching DCI.org for the scores since DCI does do a really good job of getting scores up in a timely manner. It's always nice to have drum corps fans in positions like asst city editor as they help determine what goes in the paper and what doesn't!

So someone correct me --- "Crown" has beaten Regiment 2X in a row --- be still my heart! But, there is time left to redeem that fact. Just like the Bionic Man (or "Spartacus" for that matter) we must be - 'Better, Faster, Stronger -- Louder and more intense!"

So someone correct me --- "Crown" has beaten Regiment 2X in a row --- be still my heart! But, there is time left to redeem that fact. Just like the Bionic Man (or "Spartacus" for that matter) we must be - 'Better, Faster, Stronger -- Louder and more intense!"

Yes, they have indeed, albeit by a decreasing margin. I know Regiment will be fine and am pulling for them from way across the earth.

That's too bad the right scores weren't on DCI.org. The asst city editor at the Register Star does a terrific job of making sure PR's results get in the paper each night. He's always watching DCI.org for the scores since DCI does do a really good job of getting scores up in a timely manner. It's always nice to have drum corps fans in positions like asst city editor as they help determine what goes in the paper and what doesn't!

Yes, it seems like it was just a simple mistake. There's been some score funkiness these days, on DCI.org. Here's to DCI and the Register Star both for bringing it.

I love Google's "Google Alert" service, which is what I use to get info emailed to me. I have an alert set for "Phantom Regiment" so any time Google finds something in its index, it sends it to me. Gotta love it.

To reprise somone elses sentiments after watching SanAntonio live on the web, I to did the same:

"Thank you Phantom Regiment! You actually brought me to tears tonight in San Antonio. I have cheered wildly for certain shows over the years and the last time I actually cried was after my Grandmother was in tears in the stands watching Regimnents' 1994 production in Allentown. I had that same emotion tonight remembering her, remembering the FIRST time I saw Regiment live in 1982 and just bawled"

THANK YOU REGIMENT! And I am sure there is much more in store and I KNOW, from watching/listening that there is MUCH more to come in the ending , and I agree that the yelling og "I am Spartacus" needs more intonation and BETTER phrasing. It needs to sound correct.... "Spahr-TA-Kus". I criinge when I here them say it now.... and please NO WOMEN until the final front/reprise en mass! Just IMHO, Regoments' staff is free to do as they will, but if I were a judge, I'd dock them for that. Also, the DM "act" of 'Live or Die" REALLY, REALLY needs to be there..... especially the way they are playing the execution mid-field now. Withe the DM holding the saber to Spartacus' throat. Also -- Get rid of the dead time betweem movements...... it's killing the flow!

I Miss the huge sword in Mvt3 and feel it would have been excellent if retained and rotated toward 'Spartacus' (or who evers')dead body toward the 50 - with the tip/point aiming right at him with the guard switching to red flags dropped around him to simulate his blood being shed. Gee... that would be a visual moment which would be hard to equal in effect and emotion ... but hey, just me doing my "Wishful Thinking".

In any event, i will see/hear/spend some time with the corps the week of August 1st and will have a much better feel/earful when seen "in person". Greg Newell.... I will work for free as a visual consultant, I will be spending time with the corps volunteering the week of August 1st-and will have a better 'feel/ear' for what is fielded then. IF ANY REGIMENT STAFFERS READ THIS --- please IM me as I needs to turn over some $$$$ for a members dues as well as co-ordinate getting 5 cases of Gatorade to the food truck!

Until then, keep doing what you are doing Regiment -- the people LOVE YOU and love this years show....

People are still talking about PR's 1982 version and it did not win a medal -- hopefully this year will be different, BUT OF NOT -- it will be remembered as what Tony Hall said..... and epic in music, motion and motif! YOU ARE GORGEOUS, POWERFUL, PASSIONATE and exactly what the Drum Corps Community needs -- a beutiful story one can follow. What is a ring or a medal anyway? Yes it's prosperity, a device for pride and prowess, but really, what matters most is that 10-15 years from now, fan and phans alike will still be gloating about this years show -- whether or not it won gold. The trivial things in live often sit and gather dust, or, become too small or tatered to wear... but a feeling, a memory and a story such as this is simply..............

PRICELESS !!!!!!!

SUTA BABY!

Well said, Trisha. Although it would be sooo nice if Regiment got a win.

Oh Dear GAWD !!!

I JUST re-read my post and typo's galore -- which means my Blackberry has a keyboard issue AGAIN! I THOGHT I FIXED that -- sorry everyone -- I'm really not that bad of a speller/typist! HONEST!

Keep working, Regiment! You know what to do!

You know, I just watched the Denver & San Antonio Videos again on FN and you know, I do believe the colorguard is the achilles heel AS FAR AS BLENDING INTO THE FIELD -- the color sceme needs to be hughlighted SOMEHOW. Wheter it be by adding gold or silver to the clothing -- it definately is a drawback -- their equipment work is diminished because they are so hard to see/follow ! My opinion only. The drill needs to be slowed down..... Roman marchers never RAN except from a fronto into battle! The 4-5 is a bit much for what they are imploying -- this is my visiual interetation from judging regional BOA & band camp events here in PA. The jazz run can be extremely effective but seems to be adding very little in "Effect" when viewed up high.

Especially when they are not playing w/horns down. The drill in the ballad is downright 'all over' and needs to center on the two dancing prior TO the heart motif/form BEFORE the execution IMHO. It can easily be changed and brought right into the heart we currently see that splits after her death.....

And what the HELL is SPARTACUS doing just standing idle as the Emporer/DM approaches? I would rather se him doing something -- ANYTHHING with back turned and turn around and see the killing and run FORWARRD to when the DM holds the knife to his throught.... C'mojn.... would ANYONE - ANYWHERE just stand by and watch their lover killed in that fashion??? Hmmmmm.......... "I" think not !!!

Anyway -- lets see what they (Regiments staff/advisors) add in the next two weeks and if anything I have already or now mentioned happens. Gee, they already did add to the baldric by tying it up, but I sense something else like a medallion or something will be added still......

We'll see won't we............

Ok -- Officially ditchin' the PDA -- TOO MANY Typo's