Belding Bash

As for nature calling, I can leave the stands, go to the men's room and get back to my seat in the time it takes a corps to set up. And I'm waaaaay older than you :biggrin:

Lol - tried that in the rose bowl and I missed 2 shows!!

(yes I know there were more corps there....) :laugh:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol - tried that in the rose bowl and I missed 2 shows!!

(yes I know there were more corps there....) :biggrin:

I didn't try that at the rose bowl. Just getting from one side of the tunnel to the other was quit a trek. Then you had the tunnel Nazi's that wouldn't let you through!

I didn't try that at the rose bowl. Just getting from one side of the tunnel to the other was quit a trek. Then you had the tunnel Nazi's that wouldn't let you through!

Tunnel Nazi is too nice of a name for what those people were.

The worst obsenity that can happen to a drum corps is to have hardly no reaction at all after a preformance . The

Cadets musically and visually have a very demanding show but I also have difficulty keeping my attention on the

show as a whole with all of the narration less is more . Musicman this is an area that I agree with you .

I am a TOTAL newbie to DCI. I have seen three live shows (one was Beldin) and some taped stuff so my opinion is that of a complete novice but I couldn't agree more that the narration overwhelmed the show! I am a long time theater performer and huge ice skating fan so I feel I know something about creating a feeling for a performance. This one is all over the place! The music and motion seemed disconnected from the story. The stage in the middle really lacked a direct connection. Was that her, her parents, was she being interviewed in her home...what the heck???

The depth of the concept of the search for happiness is mind blowing...is it being like everyone else, fitting in, chasing the Hollywood ideal of the American Dream, making our family proud or something else entirely. Even the beginning of the show hinted that some deep, albeit nauseatingly trite statment, might be made about being happy (I had breast cancer and my ideal of happiness changed), yet as the narrati0on progressed the points kept getting more shallow (I love my job!). Even the story didn't know where it was going...from I survived cancer to happiness is a snap without a single connecting thread. For me the ending was kind of insulting but perhaps I am missing the larger cynical twist of the program.

Boston and the Glassmen had a real audience momentum going and it died after the Cadets.

It would be great to see this program stir an audience...

I am a TOTAL newbie to DCI. I have seen three live shows (one was Beldin) and some taped stuff so my opinion is that of a complete novice but I couldn't agree more that the narration overwhelmed the show! I am a long time theater performer and huge ice skating fan so I feel I know something about creating a feeling for a performance. This one is all over the place! The music and motion seemed disconnected from the story. The stage in the middle really lacked a direct connection. Was that her, her parents, was she being interviewed in her home...what the heck???

The depth of the concept of the search for happiness is mind blowing...is it being like everyone else, fitting in, chasing the Hollywood ideal of the American Dream, making our family proud or something else entirely. Even the beginning of the show hinted that some deep, albeit nauseatingly trite statment, might be made about being happy (I had breast cancer and my ideal of happiness changed), yet as the narrati0on progressed the points kept getting more shallow (I love my job!). Even the story didn't know where it was going...from I survived cancer to happiness is a snap without a single connecting thread. For me the ending was kind of insulting but perhaps I am missing the larger cynical twist of the program.

Boston and the Glassmen had a real audience momentum going and it died after the Cadets.

It would be great to see this program stir an audience...

I have been a 30 year Drum Corps fan, a former band director, and current DCI parent . I will weigh in on this.

I was at the show in Toledo, and was impressed with all the corps for the first show . Glassmen show will be a crowd pleaser and , Crusaders horn line was great , Bluecoats drumline was smokin. Cadets were absolutely top notch in all categories, But that Catets show?? It just leaves me scratching my head.

I was not much of a fan of last years show, and found the narration tiring, but at least the story related to the drum corps activity.

This years show is much heavier in the narration, and is , at times a bit depressing, mentioning subjects of cancer and divorce, and relates in no way to the drum corps experience.

Also, I really question the idea of ending the show with narration, not music. This just does not lend itself to a great crowd reaction at the finale.

What I haven't seen discussed..........Am I missing the point , but is the message at the end that the main character's final lines (on which the show ends) ndicate that she found her "Pursuit of Happiness" in a homosexual relationship???

I guess that I am not really criticizing the corps, because the performance was excellent,and deserved the score it recieved, I just feel that it is a waste of talent not to show off the musicality of the group by trying too hard to tell a story.

Edited by Widge