Bridging The Gap - Show Designers vs. The Fans

I accept improvements as long as they are improvements.I about barfed my hot dogs at the 2004 singing corps and another corps that year that could not figure out what the color or crap was.Then there was the backwards dance show from 2005.Yowsa yowsa yowsa.Those were not innovations,,they were nausea on top of nausea. These corps have for the most part moved on and realized the error of their ways.I forgive them of their sins.One of them even went on to win a world championship.

And I am certain they truly appreciate YOUR forgiveness as the arbiter of all that's innovative.

I wonder if the snack bar in the Louvre has hot dogs?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one seems to be trying to find a new formula, or even a variation on the current en vogue formula. Add to that the fact that melody the average fans can relate to seems to be less and less popular....it can turn people off.

I don't know, I see a lot of corps trying new stuff. Although I freely admit that we have created shows in a similar pattern to what you describe, the Reengades have also experimented heavily with new patterns in show design and tempo mapping.

As an example, our 2008 show starts with a fast rhythmic tune (172bpm), followed by a drum solo at the same tempo. Then a jazz tune at 140 BPM. After that, a free form out of tempo section into a rammin' production at 164bpm. Our ballad alternates between 90 bpm and 180bpm. The closer starts at 192bpm, then down to 164bpm, then 152bpm, finishing at 172bpm.

When you look at it on paper like this - it just seems like a lot of fast marching. But watching it is a different story. It ebbs anf flows with a rhythm that is fairly unique.

Well, you'll see. Unless you go for a hot dog!

I guess I will have to go before or after you guys to get one. :angry:

I don't know, I see a lot of corps trying new stuff. Although I freely admit that we have created shows in a similar pattern to what you describe, the Reengades have also experimented heavily with new patterns in show design and tempo mapping.

As an example, our 2008 show starts with a fast rhythmic tune (172bpm), followed by a drum solo at the same tempo. Then a jazz tune at 140 BPM. After that, a free form out of tempo section into a rammin' production at 164bpm. Our ballad alternates between 90 bpm and 180bpm. The closer starts at 192bpm, then down to 164bpm, then 152bpm, finishing at 172bpm.

When you look at it on paper like this - it just seems like a lot of fast marching. But watching it is a different story. It ebbs anf flows with a rhythm that is fairly unique.

one, i dont eat hot dogs, and two, i dont skip corps at a DCA show unless i absolutely have to.

and I'm glad to see you guys going outside what seems to be the accepted box. Quite frankly, if you guys didn't, i'd worry

understood,..............the first sparticus libretto used by Phantom I thought was kinda cool,............but I really have enough to think about, and don't want to be "educated"...............it just gives me the sense of being educated by some freakin' know-it-all,...........that has their own sense of "I know better than you, so I need to educate you" mindset,...............now that's a turn off

Most of us at one time or another have been educated without realizing what has happened.

I would say that if you are playing Verdi's Requiem and Shaft in the same show you don't need a libretto. But with the advent of the "concept" show a lot of people are left out in the cold because as Gary alluded to earlier "they aren't smart enough" to get it.

Verdi and "Shaft" in the same show? I'd need an explaination of that show.

Verdi and "Shaft" in the same show? I'd need an explaination of that show.

1974 Reading Buccaneers

Show started with Naval Hymn and Firebird Suite....

Yeah no explaination or concept needed, just one helluva corps going to town.

Ya can't buy a hot dog during Renegades' show because it is the only one the vendors want to see! :lookaround: