Phantom drill?

I always liked Phantom's drill, even before this year (which I have not seen yet, that will change in about a week). I thought it always staged the music EXTREMELY effectively, especially in the last couple of years. Sure, it wasn't the most complex visually, but it complemented the music perfectly.

Brazale was way before Jamey.

There was also Tony Hall (1993-1994, 1999), Steve Hegemeyer (1995), Greg Cesario (1996), Garrett Decker (1997 and I believe part of 1998), Brian Hildreth (1998), Leon May (2000-2001), and Johnny Sanchez (2002-2004).

I don't think I missed anyone in there, but I am sure some people have contributed with re-writes, etc. I believe Bob Smith did some rewrites in 1988, he may have done some in other years.

FWIW, I thought Bob Smith was good for Regiment. He could be a jerk at times, but he sure could clean a hornline's feet.

Yeah, Bob could be pretty mean on the field but he was able to fix things with both the members and the drill. He always could catch the smallest mistake.

I always liked Phantom's drill, even before this year (which I have not seen yet, that will change in about a week). I thought it always staged the music EXTREMELY effectively, especially in the last couple of years. Sure, it wasn't the most complex visually, but it complemented the music perfectly.

That's a good way to describe Phantom's visual package.

It is clean and effective but very safe.

Nothing trend setting or overly complex, just a good visual package.

:lookaround:

You guys, and gals, are making me soooo jealous! I haven't been able to get out to see a show yet. I am DYING to see Phantom, SCV, Madison, and many others corps this season! My DVD colletion is getting worn out!

Please, keep the good info coming! It is food to my soul!

Thanks to all posters,

Ron Gunn

I spied the video on the forbidden site. I was absolutely floored by the sheer speed of the tempos they are performing at. Even more surprising was that the sound didn't suffer that much by the end of the show. By the end of the season this is going to be a tour de force in sheer power. Not to say all members don't work their buts off, but I'd say Regiment has once again found themselves way out in the deep end in terms of difficulty - however, they have the talent to pull it off. :lookaround::smile:

That's a good way to describe Phantom's visual package.

It is clean and effective but very safe.

Nothing trend setting or overly complex, just a good visual package.

I would definitely not call Phantom's drills from the past few years "safe". They are often moving at very fast velocities with short count sets. Just look at the end of last year's show. I think their drills have been very difficult (probably more so than all corps except Cavies, Cadets, and SCV), and very effective. The Faust show scored extremely well in visual effect even winning that caption on finals night. I think the main difference between Phantom's drills and some other corps' is that it completely and solely serves the music. Cavaliers drills often introduce themes or ideas by themselves. You could probably watch a Cavies or SCV drill in silence and at least be somewhat entertained. This is probably much less true for Phantom.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

As for Bob Smith...unless you were instructed by him, it's really hard to explain.

He had a very abrasive method, but you had to respect it because he got results. I learned so much about cleaning drill, and subsets, by observing him. His ability to see small mistakes on both sides of the field during even a short rep always amazed me. The members reaction to his instruction sort of went through a development all its own. At first, you were scared to death, and his comments would make you want to go back to the housing and cry. Eventually new members would learn that his comments had an air of humor to them, and we would laugh harder the more outrageous they got. Though he tended to tone it down when people were watching rehearsal, every now and then he would unload, and it was really funny to see the reactions of people in the stands.

The scariest visual combo I have ever seen was Tony Hall improvising drill with Bob Smith trying to translate and clean it. It was both very exciting, and very frustrating, and the end result was very very effective. That experience gave me a much larger appreciation for the 1993 show.

I spied the video on the forbidden site. I was absolutely floored by the sheer speed of the tempos they are performing at. Even more surprising was that the sound didn't suffer that much by the end of the show. By the end of the season this is going to be a tour de force in sheer power. Not to say all members don't work their buts off, but I'd say Regiment has once again found themselves way out in the deep end in terms of difficulty - however, they have the talent to pull it off. :smile::angry:

well according to our most recent show reviewer, they won't even have a chance to make top 3, let alone survive the all powerful Crown. :lookaround:

i'm glad we have judges for these kinda things.

Edited by chaos001

I would definitely not call Phantom's drills from the past few years "safe". They are often moving at very fast velocities with short count sets. Just look at the end of last year's show. I think their drills have been very difficult (probably more so than all corps except Cavies, Cadets, and SCV), and very effective. The Faust show scored extremely well in visual effect even winning that caption on finals night. I think the main difference between Phantom's drills and some other corps' is that it completely and solely serves the music. Cavaliers drills often introduce themes or ideas by themselves. You could probably watch a Cavies or SCV drill in silence and at least be somewhat entertained. This is probably much less true for Phantom.

Just my opinion.

Couldn't be better said. This is what I was thinking, but just couldn't articulate it. Thanks - well said!