1980 prelims

6 girls from our guard passed out after we got off the field.

They all got up in time for the corps picture which they were taking as we all got off the field that year.

Talk about bad planning.

Still can't find out who the outfit was...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Got it.

Now, anyone know if any video available for 13th - 25th?

Figured I'd bump this being that it is Championship week.

Any video out there of 1980 13th - 25th???

Also remember, it took two days of prelims to field all 44 of those corps. Montreal 81 was the same way.

The unique thing about Montreal 81 was that Troopers, by virtue of their 14th place finish in 80, performed on Thursday of prelims. They were the only corps from that day that made finals.

Garry in Vegas

The one thing that sticks out in my mind at prelims '80 was that our corps director felt the need to tell the corps as we were waiting to take the field that the corps was broke finacially and that if we did not make finals, this would be the last show for the Royal Crusaders. We were in about 14th/15th place by standings from previous shows scores and who we had beaten and who had beaten us up to this point. I believe we came in 23rd.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind at prelims '80 was that our corps director felt the need to tell the corps as we were waiting to take the field that the corps was broke finacially and that if we did not make finals, this would be the last show for the Royal Crusaders. We were in about 14th/15th place by standings from previous shows scores and who we had beaten and who had beaten us up to this point. I believe we came in 23rd.

Let me guess -- the corps director went on to be a successful motivational speaker?? :cool:

Sounds a lot like RCR last year. We were told 30 minutes BEFORE we went out for our second Modesto show that we were going inactive. Nothing like being a "dead corps walking". :cool:

I also was in that 1980 prelims show----with BAC. We had 26 horns, no food, and no money, but sang the corps song before the show and did our best anyway. I remember that it was so hot that morning that I was eating a bowl of fruit loops and sweat was running down my nose into the cereal!!! (no lie!)

AS for videos of 13-25, I was told on a couple occasions by folks at the DCI office that there was a fire at DCI years later, and the "masters" of those tapes were destroyed. How I would love to get my hands on a video of that performance....and yes, I think that was the hottest day I ever marched!!!

I marched that show too. It was brutally hot, but, since it was my last show in a 16 year career, I don't think I even noticed. The worst part was seeing where we came in in M&M (26th). We just could not march that year, no matter how much we practiced. Too many young members and a very confused marching staff (dot vs. form).

I believe we came in 23rd.

You did better than us. We placed 32nd. :smile:

The noteworthy thing about that is that we weren't the last-place corps in prelims. Not that I'm cheering that, mind you. It just points to how many more corps were competing back then.

You did better than us. We placed 32nd. :smile:

The noteworthy thing about that is that we weren't the last-place corps in prelims. Not that I'm cheering that, mind you. It just points to how many more corps were competing back then.

Ha! We placed 34th. :smile: