Lesser Known Corps

March where you want to, and if you can't do that, find another corps that's decently run and you know you won't starve. I wouldn't say I marched at my first choice of drum corps, but I enjoyed my experience nonetheless and am happy for everything I experienced. But again, make sure you're marching where you want to, unless finances are an issue, don't go bankrupt over corps.

Excellent point. Example - Pioneer - a lot of people dump on them because they have recently been hovering near last place in World Class.

But, everyone gets fed well, they have little or no debt, and they pay all their bills. Which is more than you can say for some corps that place(d) ahead of them - most (if not all) of which are not around any more. I won't name names, but many on this forum know of whom I refer to.

To the OP - Get out there and march. I had the time of my life in a 50 member corps that never ventured more than 250 miles from the American Legion post that sponsored us.

OBTW - are you guard? If so, Troopers (another very well-run corps with a history second to none) may want to speak to you.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to you! I am sure that you will have a great experience with whatever corps you decide to join. As a drum corps parent, I can speak to the great atmosphere of the Blue Star Family. Our son is with them for his second year, & plans on aging out with them. I encourage you to check out & perhaps talk to members after a competition. :lookaround:

You have the right mindset for joining a corps. I was never interested in ring chasing either. Initially, I wanted to goto Phantom Regiment and be the next Tommy Feagin. Well after I figured out that wasn't going to happen, I joined the Colts for some experience. I ended up staying there for three years and aging out because of the friends and relationships I had built with the staff and volunteers. And...if I may throw this in...there are plenty of people within the non-top 6 corps who could very easily hold their own with the big boys, but choose not to corps hop.

Pick a corps based on its values and its members, not on its placement.

I also completely agree with this. In 1986 I joined a 28th place corps thinking I'd go get some experience, then move on up to one of the big boys. Well I found out fairly quickly that I was where I belonged. We placed 11th my second year and I couldn't have been happier. We also had plenty of those people that could have held their own with any other corps out there but stayed "home". Some did move on though, you'll have that, more power to them.

Some people mentioned choosing a corps because of the type of music they play, etc. Maybe also consider the uniform. That may sound stupid, but if you really do not want to be seen in a certain looking uniform, then maybe that's not the place for you.

And, maybe try and volunteer with both corps sometime this Summer. That would really get you the inside track to each organization.

Dylan, both the Blue Stars (my corps) and the Colts have a reputation of being a "family" corps, meaning once you're there you're part of the family forever, even if you move to a different corps. Some people do move on, but most people find a home in these corps and don't want to leave. Those that do still keep in touch, meet up and continue the friendships. Corps these days is alot different than when I was in and cross-corps friendships are valued.

I would suggest that you try their camps, see what fits and stick around based on that.

These are great responses everyone, and really enlightening!

I would have never guessed there would be some corps that didn't feed their members well, etc etc, so that is really good to know. From what it seems now that has become less of a problem, but I'm sure it still exists somewhere...?

And the "family" environment that you all speak of is exactly what I want in a corps, so that's really reassuring.

OBTW - are you guard? If so, Troopers (another very well-run corps with a history second to none) may want to speak to you.

I'm not sure yet what I would want to march. I'm a trombone player that could do euphonium/baritone, but I also have experience on guard and in the pit through winterguard/winter percussion. So that will be another decision for me.

Dylan,

I can tell you that both are great organizations. I never marched with the Blues Stars but have had many people I know love their experience there and stay all of their years, even when they were Div 2 and 3.

I can also tell you that the Colts Organization with wonderful support from the staff/volunteers/members. I was a clarinet player in college, but decided that I had to march drum corps. I was from Iowa so Colts made sense to me. I knew the first day that it was a great choice. I had a wonderful four years there, and taught Colt Cadets the year after my age out. The entire organization is a class act, and they will always be very good to you.

I can also tell you that after not finishing in the top 12 in any of my 4 years (not at a regional, not at finals, never) I would not have traded the experience I had for anything. The people I met and the experiences I had were something I will always treasure. I got married about 6 months ago, and the Colts were all over it. Two of my groomsmen (one of which being my brother), plus about 1/2 of the people on my side of the chapel (not just members either) were all people I shared my marching experience with.

I could write all day about how great my experience was, but I think this has been long enough. Know that a choice of any drum corps will be a rewarding one, and whether you finish 1st or 20th your decision to march will have been well worth it.

|/\|Sebastian|/\|

I'm not sure yet what I would want to march. I'm a trombone player that could do euphonium/baritone, but I also have experience on guard and in the pit through winterguard/winter percussion. So that will be another decision for me.

I suggest snare.

:lookaround:

I may be the only person on this forum that marched both Blue Stars and Colts. Both are stellar organizations, well run from the top down. You would be guarenteed an excellent educational and all round drum corps experience from both corps in every aspect of what it means to participate in DCI. With them being so close compettitively you basicaly just need to decide what you like better:

Blue and White

or

Red and Black.

Good luck either way! :lookaround:

While these corps aren't in the "top 6", they are storied, established corps with rich histories!!

I'd find another expression than "lesser known".

Exactly, both of these corps have been around a long time have great traditions, and both appear to be headed upward. It wouldn't surprise me to see either one of these corps break into upper tier in the next couple of years. One of the most important things is finding the right vibe where you feel comfortable. Things like safe transportation, food, sleep, staff professionalism, etc... should all be considerations. IMO, both of these corps are very well run.

Edited by oldtimedrummer