Cadets Volunteer -- Day 13

With a free evening to do laundry, make runs to WAL-MART, starbucks and the ice-cream store everyone returned back to the school safely with no incidents to report. A good night sleep and here we are back to doing what tour is all about. Yesterday we had to deal with a lot of rain, today was completely the opposite; hot and humid. I don't know about the kids but breakfast is my favorite meal (when I can get up). This morning it was cereal, coffee and my favorite...Peanut Butter and Jelly :) I don't know if you know Joe but he has been with us now the last few days and he has been the conditioning man for the Cadets and he is whipping these kids into shape (a no slack type of guy). This is a Music is Cool day and as the young musicians, percussionist and guard learn their parts the corps is off doing what they do...PRACTICE. After the stretch and run the corps went into their marching block where they reviewed some changes to the show. This is a several hour long block and this gives the food crew and volunteers time to prep various things. Today my part was to help with refilling the ice-coolers so the kids can have ice for their water containers. We also had a new volunteer come on today from Nashville taking the 18 hour bus ride all the way here to little old Elkhart, Indiana. He immediately jumped right helping us cut watermellon for serving at one of the scheduled meals. One of my favorite parts of the day is the sectional rehearsal and then to see all the sections come together to put those changes on the move (horn-line). This year is completely different than last year at this time; we had several shows in the begining of the year and so far we have had two shows with a couple of days off in between. I feel the staff and Cadets have taken full advantage of that time to make necessary changes; changes you probably won't even notice about the time you see the corps. After tonight's ensemble we are scheduled to leave at 11:00 pm for East Troy, Wisconsin where we will be for two shows in Racine and Madison. I can't wait for the Madison show; that is where I call drum corps heaven. I've really kicked it into gear now as a primary driver and really don't do as much in the food truck like I did last week but I still manage to give a hand when I can; but if I buy one more thing out of the souvie truck....shoot me :) I'll say this and sign off -- The Cadets are good and the show is coming along. Being this close to the corps I want every run I see to be perfect and I'm afraid to say they are not perfect....YET! You know the saying..."it will all be clear in August."

Irving

Fan of the Arts

With a free evening to do laundry, make runs to WAL-MART, starbucks and the ice-cream store everyone returned back to the school safely with no incidents to report. A good night sleep and here we are back to doing what tour is all about. Yesterday we had to deal with a lot of rain, today was completely the opposite; hot and humid. I don't know about the kids but breakfast is my favorite meal (when I can get up). This morning it was cereal, coffee and my favorite...Peanut Butter and Jelly :) I don't know if you know Joe but he has been with us now the last few days and he has been the conditioning man for the Cadets and he is whipping these kids into shape (a no slack type of guy). This is a Music is Cool day and as the young musicians, percussionist and guard learn their parts the corps is off doing what they do...PRACTICE. After the stretch and run the corps went into their marching block where they reviewed some changes to the show. This is a several hour long block and this gives the food crew and volunteers time to prep various things. Today my part was to help with refilling the ice-coolers so the kids can have ice for their water containers. We also had a new volunteer come on today from Nashville taking the 18 hour bus ride all the way here to little old Elkhart, Indiana. He immediately jumped right helping us cut watermellon for serving at one of the scheduled meals. One of my favorite parts of the day is the sectional rehearsal and then to see all the sections come together to put those changes on the move (horn-line). This year is completely different than last year at this time; we had several shows in the begining of the year and so far we have had two shows with a couple of days off in between. I feel the staff and Cadets have taken full advantage of that time to make necessary changes; changes you probably won't even notice about the time you see the corps. After tonight's ensemble we are scheduled to leave at 11:00 pm for East Troy, Wisconsin where we will be for two shows in Racine and Madison. I can't wait for the Madison show; that is where I call drum corps heaven. I've really kicked it into gear now as a primary driver and really don't do as much in the food truck like I did last week but I still manage to give a hand when I can; but if I buy one more thing out of the souvie truck....shoot me :) I'll say this and sign off -- The Cadets are good and the show is coming along. Being this close to the corps I want every run I see to be perfect and I'm afraid to say they are not perfect....YET! You know the saying..."it will all be clear in August."

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I know Joe and he's pretty hardcore. I actually loved that about him. He made us "want it"..well, at least he made me want it.

Thanks again for the update Irving!!

I know Joe and he's pretty hardcore. I actually loved that about him. He made us "want it"..well, at least he made me want it.

Thanks again for the update Irving!!

Part of me is glad I never had to go through that training...but man could we have used him in 2006 :angry:

After tonight's ensemble we are scheduled to leave at 11:00 pm for East Troy, Wisconsin where we will be for two shows in Racine and Madison.

East Troy ... man, that's where I was first exposed to drum corps as a kid in the late-60's & got hooked. I used to stay with my aunt & uncle there during the 4th of July. They had a great parade, with a lot of corps lincludng PR, Scouts, etc. My uncle lived next to the field where they had the competition that evening. Great music, fireworks, brats & potato salad ... wow, you just rekindled some great memories! :lookaround:

Part of me is glad I never had to go through that training...but man could we have used him in 2006 :lookaround:

06 wasn't THAT hard...

06 wasn't THAT hard...

And we werent all THAT in shape.... :lookaround: