Rifle-work

AS far as the poster that asked about "dance with the rifle."

Thanks for you explanation of color guard design and judging criteria. It's really more than I can really appreciate or even understand. As I stated, I am not expert on drum corps (nor do I want to be) and I'm really just commenting from the "man on the street" perspective particularly from the entertainment angle.

I think that you may be refering to my post. If so, please go back and reread it. I was actually saying that I think that some corps have too much dancing WITHOUT equipment. I actually like the dancing. I think that quite often it add a certain something to a show and can really help convey the theme or story built into the presention. However, I do feel that some shows end up being just about the dancing (without a designed in dance theme). I sometimes wonder if it isn't easier to teach the dancing (do we have lower expecations on the dancing in corps?) than to really teach and do the spectactar guard work in unison (like SCV which I totally loved!!!).

BTW, I totally agree with you about the shows in the 90's where the guard became something other than the guard... :thumbup:

Edited by Mark in AZ

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's... I knew a good rifle line was good, if I didn't see anyone's arm in a sling.

MY ALL TIME BEST

TROOPERS 1979

27th LANCERS 1980

MADISON SCOUTS 1981

Bad A@@

I have to say that my favorite is the Anaheim Kingsmen in 1972. Unfortunately, I never saw them in person. I can't tell you how many times, though, that I played the recording of their show. There is a point in the show where the rifles are near the mic -- all you hear is the rifle straps clicking against the stocks. It sounds like 1 person, but you know in reality that it's like 10. Now that's real drum corps... :thumbup:

There was a scary time for me whem BLUE DEVILS, CADETS, SANTA CLARA, PHANTOM REGIMENT, STAR OF INDIANA were all top drum corps who removed all the weapons from their colorguards in place of streamers, spider webs, Wings, Parasols, Capes, Shawls.....need I go on?

I am very happy that weapons are alive and well in our current world of Drum Corps!

I believe the sickle (sp?) was put in vogue by BLAST!. Also, FYI top World level WGI guard group Fantasia won the gold this year and never spun a flag. All weapons. Sign of the future?

Every year, I keep noticing how the rifle work at drum corps shows is more designed like a winterguard show. Does spinning exist in any drum corps besides all-age? Good rifle spinning has a great visual impact. Today, it seems as how well you dance with the rifle, or how high you can toss it and catch it. Short crisp tosses are great too.

Wait.

Sooo...apparently I missed the memo. What is the difference between "work" and "spinning"?

Are you referring to doing consecutives and double-time as part of the rifle book? There are some double or triple-time features throughout various shows, but thats about it.

Colorguard has evolved through WGI and many of the great choreographers are a part of DCI and WGI. Its inevitable that worlds will overlap.

Many of us "new school" kids call what we do spinning. The TRIAD has been mentioned in several posts already, and that may be where you're getting the idea of dance w/rifle.

If that is the case then again, the judges are wrong

Oh wait, us stupid fans are wrong …silly us, we like good rifle work and loud brass, darn we’s just a bunch of unknowing stupid folks how pay for their endless summer- they’s all knows a better and whats bes for us

I often feel that DCI is just self serving bandos stroking each others egos while holding the fans in contempt

Anyway, all the rifle/ saber work I have seen this year has been slop –Blue Stars could have a killer show if their guard could get it together

Even the Cavies blew a big moment solo toss staged mid-field last night with a drop - the crown guy on the 50 had a big muff too

Guards have gotten weaker, noticeably

guards have so many duties, they’ve become jacks of all trades and masters of none

Wait.

Sooo...apparently I missed the memo. What is the difference between "work" and "spinning"?

Are you referring to doing consecutives and double-time as part of the rifle book? There are some double or triple-time features throughout various shows, but thats about it.

Colorguard has evolved through WGI and many of the great choreographers are a part of DCI and WGI. Its inevitable that worlds will overlap.

Many of us "new school" kids call what we do spinning. The TRIAD has been mentioned in several posts already, and that may be where you're getting the idea of dance w/rifle.

I am not a color guard person, but I have been around drum corps since the 70's. Spinning to me is the 27th lancers or the Kingsmen. If you saw Kingsmen last year, you will know what I refer to as spinning. That translates so much better than the rifle work I see today.

I often feel that DCI is just self serving bandos stroking each others egos while holding the fans in contempt

Or maybe the paradigm shift appeals to a silent majority that doesn't feel the need to post their approval of how things are now on DCP.

I find it interesting when people take their own opinion (and the opinion of a relatively small sample size) and extrapolate that across the entire population of supporters... Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but as stated many times before, DCP is hardly the be-all and end-all of drum corps commentary.

As for me, while I appreciate the technical skill of the old guards, and agree that it's more "######," I have to admit that dance is a more flexible medium that is more expressive and appropriate to many musical styles than the old stuff. There's still enough technical components (to this guard uneducated guy) for me to appreciate.