Carolina Crown Show

Though I'm positive this will strike anger... here I go...

I saw the show last night. It was fun, cute, and extremely recognizable. Everyone in the entire audience recognized 3/4 of their repertoire, I'm positive.

But.... It's easy. I honestly am amazed at how Carolina Crown is becoming the park and blow corps of today. And you would think they would really, really hit when they do park... I remember only once really "feeling" the sound hit me. I think the drill is very easy, and I don't think the music is much harder. Seeing as they have recently been very successful, my par has been raised for what I expect out of CC. Unfortunately, like last year, I saw easy. Why have such a talented group of musicians if they aren't going to be pushed to the max during a show? Very little, if any, difficult drill, is done while moving at any sort of pace. The pit/drumline will take over, hornline will turn around and starting sprinting around... stop, turn around, and start playing. I'm not saying a show has to be 200bpm from start to close... but what I saw was less than respectable.

Overall: Fun and light, but lacking complexity visually and even musically. Unless serious changes are made I predict a 6th place finish at best.

I'm just thumbing through my DCI rule book, trying to find the chapter where it says you have to have an extremely difficult show to be successful.... hmmm, not seeing it. But I'm sure its there, right?

(sarcasm off)

If there is one thing the folks at Crown have taught us, is that You don't need Cavi's style performance to get the crowd in your corner. Sometimes winning doesn't have be about getting a ring. Last year, Crown "won" the popular vote, and as a result, their show was more memorable and more recognized than any other show on the field. I vaguely remember what BD played, but I have Crown's show memorized. And it still gives me goosebumps. BD might have scroed 4 points higher, but Crown walked away the true champions.

So... who cares if its not "hard", or if the music is too "easy"... what matters if the folks that paid for a ticket enjoyed it.

Sometimes I really hate the competition aspect of this activity!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't want to start ruffling anyones feathers... but 2007 was a great year for crown...

and from what i've seen so far... 2008 is going to be that much better.

people have put their speculations out there as to who will place where...

i don't care who you toss up there, but i think crown can make 4th this year...

and i know that means one of top 3 will get beat cause phantom will place above crown..

any feedback?

I don't think we've seen everything Crown has to offer at this point. It's the first week of the season (and this can be used as a general rule for EVERYONE).

What I do see is a great show with a lot more potential. I think we'll get a good idea of where everyone will be slotted by the tie we get to Texas is two weeks. Honestly, if they work hard enough and make a few changes here and there, It's a top 4 show, and they could be the sleeper like Phantom was in 2006. But we have a few weeks to go before we can call it... lets see what happens.

Hate to break it to you naysayers but Crown is adding layers upon layers to the show. The show you'll see finals night will not be the one you saw in Madison.

Hate to break it to you naysayers but Crown is adding layers upon layers to the show. The show you'll see finals night will not be the one you saw in Madison.

Layers - Ogres have lots of layers - maybe next years show can be Shrek :)

Maybe the kids are performing the music a lot better that most people think, at this point. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this year's music is by FAR more difficult than anything they have done before. So if it sounds easy, perhaps it's because they're playing it pretty well. The drill is also much harder than anything they've done before. Now- personally- it may not be my favorite show that Crown has ever done. But like others have already said, what we're seeing now is NOT what we'll see in August. (True for ALL the corps) I'll reserve judgment till after finals.

Yeah, I've head through the rumor mill that there is quite a bit more to the open of the show, and some neeto visuals that will make you smile and get goosebumps. What we see now won't look anything like what we're going to see in five weeks.

So... who cares if its not "hard", or if the music is too "easy"...

I certainly didn't think the music was "easy". My impression from the Fan Network videos was that it's one of the most demanding brass books on the field this summer. If they can clean it, they should certainly get some credit from the judges for what they're playing.

I did think the visual was a bit underwhelming. Not so much that that the moves were "easy" as that there didn't seem to be a lot of impact and effect generated by them. But that's pretty hard to evaluate from a web video, so I might have a completely different impression seeing the show live.

Overall, my impression was that Crown has a vehicle that might take them up a placement or two, which is no small feat given the competition. And I'm positive that audiences everywhere are going to find it accessible and entertaining.

I love how many "experts" there are on the difficulty of the Crown show - too bad all of the judge positions are already filled. One thing I haven't heard talked about too much this year is Crown's percussion. When I became a fan of Crown in 2006 - the percussion score was really low - last year it vastly improved and this year so far they seem to be holding their own - don't underestimate the total package :) - excellent guard, loud brass, solid percussion - the top 3 better be looking in their rearview mirrors.