Can Pioneer pass Madison this year?

Not will they, but can Pioneer pass Madison this year.  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What's your thoughts on it?

• Yes
    • No

i'm not talking about placements...IMO anyone who is in it for that needs to re-think why they are marching. what i'm talking about is medling with the show design, and forcing injured members to risk further harm when not necessary just to name a couple. as i said, it's not that i think he is doing this stuff on purpose, i just believe that his style of running his corps is outdated...it's my opinion, so don't agree with it if you don't want to, i expect that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not talking about placements...IMO anyone who is in it for that needs to re-think why they are marching. what i'm talking about is medling with the show design, and forcing injured members to risk further harm when not necessary just to name a couple. as i said, it's not that i think he is doing this stuff on purpose, i just believe that his style of running his corps is outdated...it's my opinion, so don't agree with it if you don't want to, i expect that.

Hmm... What's the above in reference to? Perhaps I missed something...

What a pile of you-know-what! You may not like Mr. Blenski's vision, but to say he just doesn't understand is hogwash.

A successful organization is more than just a number and a placement. I think you ought to reorder your priorities.

it's in reference to this...and a mention about scores...and the rest of the topic

Having marched at Pioneer, I can say with complete sincerity that you are 100% wrong, Corps fan. There isn't a corps director who cares more about the kids, the fans and everyone involved with the corps than Roman.

One of the great corps directors/administrators of all time, a good man and someone who has done more for drum corps than 95% of people who ever picked up a horn, drumstick or flagpole. He's the earned the right to have an influence on whatever he would like to have an influence over inside the Pioneer organization. I know that it is always in the best interests of the people comprising the corps family.

That said, who cares if Pioneer catches anyone? As long at the kids are having fun, learning and becoming better people...then it's a successful summer. Bottom line.

Having marched at Pioneer, I can say with complete sincerity that you are 100% wrong, Corps fan. There isn't a corps director who cares more about the kids, the fans and everyone involved with the corps than Roman.

One of the great corps directors/administrators of all time, a good man and someone who has done more for drum corps than 95% of people who ever picked up a horn, drumstick or flagpole. He's the earned the right to have an influence on whatever he would like to have an influence over inside the Pioneer organization. I know that it is always in the best interests of the people comprising the corps family.

That said, who cares if Pioneer catches anyone? As long at the kids are having fun, learning and becoming better people...then it's a successful summer. Bottom line.

I can second that, also having marched Pioneer in years where we were scoring much better. OK, so Roman does not make 'avarage' decisions or decisions you like. Well....marching Pioneer is something you do out of free choice. Roman has never stuck a gun to anyones head stating that they MUST march in Pioneer. The fact that kids still show-up and get to know drum corps speaks for Pioneer and Roman. He has introduced more kids to Drum Corps than you can imagine. Some go thru the ranks to 'top 12' caliber corps so maybe Pioneers function if different now.

There isn't a single soul in Pioneer that thinks they will catch Madison this year, nor does it interest them. Pioneer is there for the kids in Pioneer and hopes to entertain some people on the way. Reading all horror stories online on corps folding and leaving kids in the cold, we should thank Roman for giving kids stability. At least Pioneer kids return to the activity in whatever corps year after year. How many have been ditched by their corps and quit the activity as a whole?

When I started marching US Drum Corps (not a common thing in 1995 when you lived in Europe), I had a choice between Pioneer and Suncoast Sound. Suncoast crashed halfway tour. They promised me great things....a three year plan to be back in top 12 when I would age-out. Pioneer was defending Div II Champ and promised me a great experience. I trusted my instinct and oh my god....did they deliver! The DCI Ring was great......the experience made me come back and still love the activity & the corps.

So Roman has another view on things......so Pioneer will not end in top 12 (although with the current speed of folding corps, they might end up 12th and last in 2 years time)....this activity is great and Roman is the guy giving kids a chance to march World Class where some would never have that chance. Did you know Roman sponsors many, many South-African kids to march? They all come from the slums. I have been there. I stood in the mudpools they call home. I judged those kids with people like Dave Gibbs, Brian Hickman and Roman. We were close to being in tears. I think of those kids who got a chance to learn and experience positivity thanks to Roman. Just like he has given me a drive in life thru Pioneer.

So if you don't like Pioneer or Roman.....sorry to hear that. I know the real Roman and the real Pioneer.

God bless Roman for everything he does !!!

Edited by PeeJay

Let's give Pioneer some credit. They work hard, they're in the same State as the Scouts and Blue Stars, they're smaller in numbers than most corps, and they're willing to accept members at a younger age, which most World Class corps won't. Yeah, they're doing it right. :rolleyes:

I think what Pioneer has going for them is momentum. They finally have Bflat horns which should help in recruiting. They know how to stay within budget.

What they lack is a strategy for recruiting in SE Wisconsin and Northern Illinois.

Maybe if they got rid of those silly looking hats kids might come flocking. Just a thought.

Madison.

Wow. At Saturday's show the guard still had their flags to their sides for portions of the show. Surely that doesn't help their GE. Well, at least it was done in unison.

Go Pioneer. Keep maturing. You've been in the big leagues for awhile now. Step up.

I know your to posting here on DCP but I have to agree with you on this subject it's something about those hats !

I can't stand em !! I love the uniforms it's just the hats ! :worthy::rolleyes:

I know your to posting here on DCP but I have to agree with you on this subject it's something about those hats !

I can't stand em !! I love the uniforms it's just the hats ! :worthy::worthy:

Oh yea ( Go Pioneer !! ) I love Irish music !! And Roman is the best ! :rolleyes:

Nice unis, but they SHOULD ditch that headgear. Maybe an Aussie or something. I don't know. Anything that doesn't make them look like a bunch of Irish cops from NYC. :thumbup: