Why do I keep hearing that the way to get new fans is to go more BOA?

First Mike, let me just say I have mucho respect for you. Also, me liking or not liking amped vocals or marching band shows doesn't really affect the logic behind my point. If someone could comment on that that would be great. There is no point in arguing opinion and I don't have actual animosity towards people that enjoy amped vocals, I am just curious to see if anyone can come up with a logical rebuttal to my point.

I agree there is no point in arguing opinion, and that is why you will not get an answer that is sufficient to your particular mode of thinking...because nothing presented will seem logical.

By the same token, to those who feel otherwise, nothing coming from the other side of opinion will seem logical.

It's a conundrum we're not likely to erase by trying to discuss something so open to opinion.

But that's the joy of DCP and I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't want a series of clones reflecting my point of view. I want a diversity that helps make us richer in depth and appreciation. That goes for corps, corps programs, staffs, audiences and the remarkable variety of sno-cones one can get at the Allentown show.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Band kids have disposable cash that they can spend on everything drum corps related. If the Hopkins' Rules result in chipping away at the uniqueness of drum corps and making it more recognizable to band kids and their parents, there will be a new crop of fans every year. They may not be life-long fans like many of us old school people, but they will spend what they need to to attend shows that feature unfinished shows and poor quality perfromances at $50 a pop.

I agree with some others in this thread. Amp'd voice hasn't not been used by most corps and I don't expect it to be. BUT I predict electronics will be. Wait till you hear that booming synth chord cranked up to 11. I've seen many, many 3A - 4A, etc. smaller bands just hammer down and get thier volume using keyboards in the pit. There was a band in there somewhere.

I've heard it described as a tool to increase fullness of sound. Code speak for cranking the volume. Take a DCI hornline (BTW not nearly as loud as they used to be for the most part.) and crank the volume to 11 over the top.

It's coming. Watch.

:worthy:

Wasn't the same said with amped voice though? Personally I was afraid everyone would use it and thankfully it hasn't turned out that way. In fact, this year Cadets may be doing more to kill narration than all of us griping about it on DCP could ever hope to achieve. The sight of a member of SCV with an electic bass guitar could accomplish the same thing without us ever firing a shot in anger.

I Totally AGREE! If the Cadets continue to go with the current product, and there's no reason they wont, they may just undo the whole thing themselves.

Edited by Perry S

I Totally AGREE! If the Cadets go with the current product, and there's no reason they wont, they may just undo the whole thing themselves.

1. If the Cadets have proven anything over the years, it's that what you see and hear in June ain't what you see or hear in August. Even in recent years with voice, they have altered and changed and removed and enhanced what the original product was from June. Some years, it has worked (2005 and yes, I would say even 2007). Some years it hasn't worked so well (2006, and possiby 2008? We'll see...) But we all know they WILL make changes.

2. Even if this year is an unmitigated disaster for them (define that any way you like), while it may turn some corps off to the notion of adding mic'd voice, it won't turn the Cadets off and it won't get any rules repealed. Like it or not, mic'd voice is now a part of the drum corps paradigm.

Amped vocals are, as has been shown, a very small fragment of drum corps shows. Just as in most of the MB shows you see across the country. Most do not use vocals either. IMO you can't just look at one tiny thing...it's the general direction of broadening the DCI activity that is...and always has been...the goal...not 'amped vocals' for their own sake.

Mike, imagine a beautiful woman is giving you the best massage ever. One hour of pure bliss. Somwhere in the middle she rams a knitting needle between your 5th and 6th vertibrae. It's only a tiny thing compared to the whole massage, but will you go back again???

If someone charted the number of shows with amped voice in each year it would go something like

2 3 2 5 2...or something like that (i dont like doing research). Still, not seeing much of a trend.

And yet, on DCP, it's talked about as if it's the only thing happening in drum corps.

HH

Please read the 2003 Amp prop. written by Mr. Hopkins. You know, the one where he slams the Legacy Fans of 75

The document cited most and understood least by DCP posters.

There’s no smoking gun there no matter how many times it’s misquoted.

HH

With electronics, a corps is going to be at a competitive disadvantage if they refuse to put themselves in a position where they can create the effects that the other corps are.

We see this sentiment all time. Allow me to associate it with that other fervently held anti-electronics opinion to the effect that true creativity is achieved without implementing new tools or toys. They are axioms of the acoustic faction of DCP.

So tell me (any of you anti-electronics folks, not just this poster) if acoustic really is superior, if genuine creativity is possible even in an acoustic environment, why can’t Phantom or Madison or Cavies any other corps who’s never used voice figure out a way to make acoustic competitive even while other corps use electronics? Huh?

HH

And yet, on DCP, it's talked about as if it's the only thing happening in drum corps.

HH

Should give you an idea how much folks hate it.