Edited by DCImonkey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE ARGONNE REBELS!!!!!!

You are correct sir

(Throwing babies)

I love how two people that have never even touched a brass instrument are chubbing out to G bugles

No thanks

I matched single valve G bugles and I say bring back G bugles.

So there

I love how two people that have never even touched a brass instrument are chubbing out to G bugles

No thanks

It just goes to show that even non musicians can tell the difference.

( or maybe they just need to paint the house........)

Fine :smile:

But why?

Because of the sound produced, that in opinion as a 52 years old band director who marched corps, is a sound much better suited for outdoors.

Oh I dunno, why do kids put sub woofers in their car ?

Because of the sound produced, that in opinion as a 52 years old band director who marched corps, is a sound much better suited for outdoors.

Oh I dunno, why do kids put sub woofers in their car ?

I'll take your view on Gs sounding better outdoors.

As far as sub woofers, I think the kids don't know any better. Car stereo systems are raped on a daily basis by teenagers and 20-somethings, I'd hardly say those things sound good.

I'll take your view on Gs sounding better outdoors.

As far as sub woofers, I think the kids don't know any better. Car stereo systems are raped on a daily basis by teenagers and 20-somethings, I'd hardly say those things sound good.

Well, it's not because they are bass players just digging the parts, it's because the physical affect of the musical effect, affects them. As does G bugles to me who really digs the parts.

And yes, I rather like the actual sound of tim toms that actually have a depth of pitch as opposed to the "cranked" sound of tenors today. Same with bass drums but I realize that one must crank the heads to get that many black notes played at that tempo today. It's a tradeoff. I'd rather have parts that support the brass with more depth and volume than 3 gazillion notes being played that usually only the drummers can understand.

It's just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

It's just what "I" like.

Well when I was a DCV (1982, '83) what I loved the most was having my beautiful blown dried hair parted down the middle by some crazy horn line that parked and played. Heck yeah!!!! Plus, I miss the soloists who could bring a house down night after night. I miss retreats and cadences, but for the DCV, bring back some park and blow and you'll always have the crowd and the newbies in the palm of your hand. I'd like to see narration do that!

as someone who marched both with the full retreat and without it, i will say that without the full retreat was sooo much better for us members.

heres why:

- unless we were going on in the last few corps, it always gave us some more down time.

- even if we were last or near the end, members were usually worn out after the show. knowing we didnt have to stay in uniform and stand around for a while was comforting.

- down time after a show was always the most relaxing and rejuvinating

- when we DID get to do 'america' it became exciting for us

- it gives different corps a chance to do the encore, other than the winner every time

- being chosen to play the encore was always really exciting! (although many corps now do not prepare/play much.. which is too bad)

now being a full time fan i understand why the crowd would want a full retreat, but the new system is indeed much much better for the corps and its members

and to the argument that "fans pay good money to see a drum corp show.. or traveled hours to get there..."

myself and every other member pays thousands of dollars to march each summer. infact, i had to fly to Philadelphia from L.A. every time we had a camp! this more than doubled my tour fees.

i know what your thinking... "no one forced you to do it"

you are right, but no one forced you to go to a drum corp show with out full retreat.

staff and administration know that the kids who march drum corp all summer need as much rest as possible, they want to provide an environment conducive to progress, while meeting the demands of the activity. as a member paying to march, i expected that i was treated with respect and was provided the best experience possible. like i said, as a member who marched both with full retreat and without it, the experience provided to me was MUCH improved WITH OUT it.