Why Don't We Bring Back...

Bring back guards that do the same ratio of equipment to dance that 27th did in the '80s.

Limit dance to the ballad and have the gaurds throw everything at the audience along with the kitchen sink, like 27th Lancers and Phantom Regiment in the 70s and 80s!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I definitely DO NOT miss is the timing gun.

Tell you what though, even though I know the new timps sound better, only tie up one guy etc, the look of a good marching timp line was pretty cool....

:smile: hehehe and beside the timps can be the glokenspiel line with contras marching up and down the 50. Old school...Gotta love it

Good topic. I would bring back full retreats complete with corps playing their signature songs off of the field. I know it took forever sometimes but I really miss hearing Cavaliers "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Phantom's "Elsa's Procession" and Madison's "Never Walk".

Cadence during trooping is a good thing as well.

absolutley bring back full retreat...it is too cool to let it completely slip away...

bring back ticks and the start and stop guns too.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if buying a ticket to a major/regional was an invitation to vote as a democratic block with an equal voice to any other board member at the next DCI board vote? So the fans who buy tickets and support the corps can have a say in what we get to see?

:smile: hehehe and beside the timps can be the glokenspiel line with contras marching up and down the 50. Old school...Gotta love it

OK - make that timing gun and glokenspiels on the list of things I don't miss.

Contras on the 50 along with the drumline. Can't say I miss that either. We (battery) were having trouble getting the right count to charge the stands, and one of the drill techs told the contras to run us down if we didn't get it on the next run. We didn't, and they did. ploughed right through us and loved every minute of it. This was senior corps, and our contras had some pretty big guys.

A tech that told anyone to do that today would probably be fired....

I dont want (or expect) to ever see full retreat again for every show. I certainly didnt mind it, but it was a pain sometimes (as a performer). I will say - once a year is not enough. Do it at the regionals when possible, and maybe some of the really small shows. As there are less corps, and shorter shows, dci should be doing anything possible to fill them out.

:smile:

drum solos.

And music that people ... average people who would be the fans who pay to come to drum corps shows...not all of US (I'm included here) DCP snobs ... would enjoy hearing. Not some complex piece that no one knows that is the product of someones intense music writing skills and is intended solely to try and impress other drum corps peers.

My brother is an average fan who enjoys drum and bugle corps, initially because i was in one and he enjoyed the shows. Now he goes to shows and says "I didn't recognize a single piece of music."

He paid full ticket price, just like all the music majors did. :smile:

OK - make that timing gun and glokenspiels on the list of things I don't miss.

Contras on the 50 along with the drumline. Can't say I miss that either. We (battery) were having trouble getting the right count to charge the stands, and one of the drill techs told the contras to run us down if we didn't get it on the next run. We didn't, and they did. ploughed right through us and loved every minute of it. This was senior corps, and our contras had some pretty big guys.

A tech that told anyone to do that today would probably be fired....

How about bringing back the days when naration was NOT!!! part of drum corps. And bring back the days when tom Float taught B.D's :smile:

drum solos.

And music that people ... average people who would be the fans who pay to come to drum corps shows...not all of US (I'm included here) DCP snobs ... would enjoy hearing. Not some complex piece that no one knows that is the product of someones intense music writing skills and is intended solely to try and impress other drum corps peers.

My brother is an average fan who enjoys drum and bugle corps, initially because i was in one and he enjoyed the shows. Now he goes to shows and says "I didn't recognize a single piece of music."

He paid full ticket price, just like all the music majors did. :smile:

I think there is plenty of recognizable music out there, esp. this year. Some corps give us weirdness, and others are, well....crown :smile:

:thumbup:

Bring back the great fan reactions from the stands. There is good drill and music in today's Corps. It is just that there are so many good moves that I have no time to react so I save my reaction for the end of the Show. Today's Corps are always moving. I bet if they would stop here and there and let us react. Let us show our love. There would be more standing O's during the Show. The Madison Scouts were master of this. They would make their first great hit and then it would be if you liked that you will love this. And if you love that you will throw babies at this move. You had us right where you wanted us. On our feet cheering and clapping before the gun went off and never stoped until you all passed the stands. :thumbup::smile: