What if The Cadets dropped electronics next year?

"Just another drum corps?" wow. I don't think that's possible. Their carriage, their marching style, their characteristically thrilling drill, the amazing and most often superior musical books.... Cadets are definitely in no danger of being "just another drum corps." They were the Cadets LONG before the electronics stuff, and they would still be so if they dropped it. In fact, perhaps what bothers people is that the Cadets "style" seems to be overwhelmed by the narration direction, specifically. (not electronics, so much, just the vocal storytelling).

If GH were to stay their director and leave electronics behind, I would applaud him repeatedly here for "going backward" and letting innovation return to the acoustic music realm. People have the right to change. Just because you pick a direction doesn't mean you absolutely MUST (or should) keep going that way.

This is fair.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, this entire thread is a joke. Even before Cadets had amps, annoying narration, etc., etc., they were still bashed most of the time. Happened when I marched, and I know, because I was there. Lesson learned, no matter what Cadets bring to the field, they are never going to please 50% of the fans 100% of the time.

I agree with your statement 100%; I have been a Cadets fan for almost 20 years and most of that time they have been criticized for something. The problem here is that serious die-hard Cadets fans are really starting to question this obsession with narration. It just flat out is not executed at a level that is even close to the other components of the corps. I love the fact that the Cadets are not afraid to explore new things, but why would you continue to pursue something that the majority of your audience does not like?

With all due respect...BULL CRAP. When I marched they were one of the most respected corps of the sixties! We loved them. When they won DCI 83,84,85 AND 87 we LOVED them. And even with the added stuff we don't like what they put in a show today we still love the CORPS AND THE KIDS. Like a politician said something like this before..."It's the NARRATION stupid!".

Cant speak to the 80's. In the early 2000's though, the cadets still got more crap than any other corps. Like I said before, it was not nearly as one sided, and they were only argued about slightly more than other corps, compared to now when its not even close.

I agree with your statement 100%; I have been a Cadets fan for almost 20 years and most of that time they have been criticized for something. The problem here is that serious die-hard Cadets fans are really starting to question this obsession with narration. It just flat out is not executed at a level that is even close to the other components of the corps. I love the fact that the Cadets are not afraid to explore new things, but why would you continue to pursue something that the majority of your audience does not like?

I see your point. I can't say why they are continuing to pursue this because I am not in the minds of the creators. But my best guess would be they are hoping they can eventually perfect it to a point that most people will like it. I am not sure if that will happen, but I guess that's how I see it.

I see your point. I can't say why they are continuing to pursue this because I am not in the minds of the creators. But my best guess would be they are hoping they can eventually perfect it to a point that most people will like it. I am not sure if that will happen, but I guess that's how I see it.

The narration is a better attempt than last year, however, many of the complaints from the masses are the same as last year, that indicates they did not remember the lessons learned from last year; that is extremely troubling!

The narration is a better attempt than last year, however, many of the complaints from the masses are the same as last year, that indicates they did not remember the lessons learned from last year; that is extremely troubling!

But maybe perhaps they did. I mean if you think it is a better attempt, maybe they are learning, and since there is still some time left within the season, they have more time to refine it I guess.

But maybe perhaps they did. I mean if you think it is a better attempt, maybe they are learning, and since there is still some time left within the season, they have more time to refine it I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts, I will try to stay positive. I will see them saturday in Clifton and I am confident the corps will be great, hopefully the narration will not ruin it!

Thanks for your thoughts, I will try to stay positive. I will see them saturday in Clifton and I am confident the corps will be great, hopefully the narration will not ruin it!

Likewise, and I will also be at the Clifton show. Can't wait.

You know, this entire thread is a joke. Even before Cadets had amps, annoying narration, etc., etc., they were still bashed most of the time. Happened when I marched, and I know, because I was there. Lesson learned, no matter what Cadets bring to the field, they are never going to please 50% of the fans 100% of the time.

the difference being....

back in the early and mid-80's, Garfiled was winning everything. Anyone that wins that much is gonna get flack. That's like the kind of flack the Cavies get today. It's the "love to hate the winner" argument. Those that were complaining about Garfield back in the day were still throwing babies out of the crowd when they did the Z pull...

Lately, all the hate has been towards Hoppy, and narration. Everyone that says they hate narration, etc, still say the Cadets are an incredible drum corps...they just want to actually hear it some time again before they die...

the difference being....

back in the early and mid-80's, Garfiled was winning everything. Anyone that wins that much is gonna get flack. That's like the kind of flack the Cavies get today. It's the "love to hate the winner" argument. Those that were complaining about Garfield back in the day were still throwing babies out of the crowd when they did the Z pull...

I havent heard anyone refer to the 80's, so why do you keep putting those words in our mouth? Tekk marched in 99 and 2000, and I said that my experiences with their critics were mainly in 01-03.