The differences between drum corps and marching band

Get with the times buddy! This is the post-modern era, not the high-modernist era; there are no rules anymore, no boundaries, no classifications, no labels. John Adams, arguably the most important living composer, (and frequent drum corps source material) has released at least one pop album himself, and an entire opera sung in a pop vocal style.

I own 95% of the recordings of John Adams' pieces, and I am very familiar with "I Was Looking at the Ceiling and Then I Saw The Sky", which is a musical. That's one musical, which itself isn't one of his greater works (certainly not as good as Nixon in China or Klinghoffer, I'm assuming he would agree from all the interviews I've heard and read with him). I understand what you're getting at though, John Adams was more influenced by Jimi Hendrix than Schoenberg whilst going to Harvard. And people can definitely hear certain pop culture American influences in his music, however there is a reason he makes this work, and that is within the subtleties of his music. That is what makes John Adams one of the most performed living composers (and he has a Pulitzer and I think a couple Grammys on top of them) and not a schmuck who tries to create a post-modernist type of music with no clarity or attempts to stray away from triteness.

Your posts drip of fascism, and as a fan of this activity both how it was and currently is, I am offended by both your opinions and your audacity.

I've never been called a fascist before, I humbly accept this as a compliment :thumbup:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure after reading this thread that I can sumarize the difference between Marching Band and Drum Corps...

Marching Band members are happy to just be there and are excited to be doing something fairly new to them, they get excited about performing, practicing and competing. They do not know any better so they do not complain about every little aspect of their activity. They do not think they know more than the judges because of listening to their elitist staff pontificate about how things should be instead of embracing how things are and enjoying them.

I guess after saying this I do not have to describe what drum corps IS! But if you have to hear it, it is elitist crying babies wanting someone to hand them something they may or may not have earned! Wishing for more instead of living in the moment and enjoying the fact that they have performance opportunities that most will never know!

Keep it up whiners...

I am pretty sure after reading this thread that I can sumarize the difference between Marching Band and Drum Corps...

Marching Band members are happy to just be there and are excited to be doing something fairly new to them, they get excited about performing, practicing and competing. They do not know any better so they do not complain about every little aspect of their activity. They do not think they know more than the judges because of listening to their elitist staff pontificate about how things should be instead of embracing how things are and enjoying them.

I guess after saying this I do not have to describe what drum corps IS! But if you have to hear it, it is elitist crying babies wanting someone to hand them something they may or may not have earned! Wishing for more instead of living in the moment and enjoying the fact that they have performance opportunities that most will never know!

Keep it up whiners...

Nah I'd rather be an elitist whiner

This cheese doesn't go with this Peanut Nore, ########

Nah I'd rather be an elitist whiner

This cheese doesn't go with this Peanut Nore, ########

Wish granted, YOUR elitist whiner status is permanent!

Enjoy life as what you have decided to become... :thumbup:

Myself, I prefer to enjoy the positive aspects of what I am engaged in.

Keep it up whiners...

WOW I'll bet your Mother would love this post. :thumbup:

Keep it up whiners...

Actually it couldn't be any further from the truth. Many HS bands at the nationally competitive level have problems with judging that are as legitimate as DCI has. Your entire post is wrong.

And I hear more whining from elitist babies on DCP than from HS kids...

Actually it couldn't be any further from the truth. Many HS bands at the nationally competitive level have problems with judging that are as legitimate as DCI has. Your entire post is wrong.

And I hear more whining from elitist babies on DCP than from HS kids...

What does this mean? You say High School Bands complain and have "Legitimate" judging issues and you say my entire post is wrong... Then you say that you hear more whining from the DCP elitist babies... Which is EXACTLY what I said! I mean if you agree with me then say it. If not then do not post in agreement!

Edited by Big Bad Bari

WOW I'll bet your Mother would love this post. :thumbup:

My mother is no longer alive but if she were she would have made this post albeit possibly far more inflamitory... She hated people with a sense of entitlement!

And she really hated people who would complain about something that made them more advantaged like say people griping about their situation in an activity that many would love to be able to participate in!

Keep it up whiners...

I cannot believe that I just read this whole thread. However, I will say that I agree with the above post!!

It's VERY obvious that the OP is not in the least concerned about the differences in anything. He/She is only interested in their own opinion. Good

lord, the differences in DC and MB have been stated numerous times and all the OP does is look down their nose and dismiss all other opinions. But,

there is one difference that nobody mentioned.

THEY ARE SPELLED DIFFERENTLY.

Go ahead and disagree. I dare ya.

Later,

Tony