I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

Velvet Knights weren't done with their show either. They did the exact same thing. The OC (we all know who this is about) destroyed the other corps in music and visual performance scores... not GE. They paid for their incomplete show and concept but were rewarded for a level of demand and execution that was far above the competition. They did not receive scores that put them top 3 nationally from judges that have judged DCI Division I Finals because they were the home team. They received their worst score from the most prominent local judge, in colorguard. You may note that VK did win Visual GE, which would cover the Thriller dance. But the fact that VK did a fun dance has nothing to do with the fact that OC frankly had a better hornline and drumline.

OC didn't happen to be in full or half uniform when you saw them rehearse, did you? Because it wouldn't be appropriate for the corps to get down and do pushups, or even run back to reset in that situation.

No, they weren't. However, an unfinished show should NOT allow any corps to walk away with the first place finish. I don't care if it's VK, OC, or Blue Devils. But that's just IMO.

I must say, that since the Sunday before, the show was definitely cleaner and better for what it was. However, it was also easily the most boring.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they weren't. However, an unfinished show should NOT allow any corps to walk away with the first place finish. I don't care if it's VK, OC, or Blue Devils. But that's just IMO.

So, if the corps with the finished show puts on a ~68.0 performance, and the corps lacking a closer is good enough to get, let's say, a 75.0 (counting the loss of score due to time and GE and yada yada yada), then the score of 68.0 should be placed 1st and the 75.0 should be placed 2nd?

If you think there's complaints about politics in scoring now, just wait. :thumbup:

So, if the corps with the finished show puts on a ~68.0 performance, and the corps lacking a closer is good enough to get, let's say, a 75.0 (counting the loss of score due to time and GE and yada yada yada), then the score of 68.0 should be placed 1st and the 75.0 should be placed 2nd?

If you think there's complaints about politics in scoring now, just wait. :thumbup:

No. I'm saying that an unfinished show shouldn't be allowed to compete in the first place. An exhibition performance would be fine.

Otherwise, the Cadets could take the field, blow one solid note, and walk away getting a higher score than the Blue Devils.

Edited by apoch003

No. I'm saying that an unfinished show shouldn't be allowed to compete in the first place. An exhibition performance would be fine.

That seems like an unreasonably sharp penalty for not quite having the closer wrapped up enough to put on the field. Mind you, that's coming from a guy who, if my memory serves me correctly, never once had a drum corps season that didn't start with truncated shows at the first few competitions. Not even today. :thumbup:

Otherwise, the Cadets could take the field, blow one solid note, and walk away getting a higher score than the Blue Devils.

Seems like, even with politics involved, were that to happen, it'd be a pretty safe bet to say that BD was doing something very wrong.

Why not just insist on judging that follows its own rules, to begin with?

Now we're quibbling over fantasy rules. I'm not going to do that anymore.

You asked, I replied. I believe, logically.

Whatever, dude. You brought up the fantasy rules. Heck, you were the one to bring even more fantasy into the equation with the "Cadets one note" example.

No offense meant. I just don't see the point of such an idea.

My bands don't need to be told, they just do 'em. It's not "punishment", it's personal accountability, a lesson rarely taught in today's schools.

I agree on that, as I said in a subsequent post...

"Agree...if a member is doing it on their own it's not so much the physical act, but what the person is thinking inside. Good point!"

A judge should judge what is presented..not consider anything that might be missing. If undertime...the corps takes a penalty.

Whatever, dude. You brought up the fantasy rules. Heck, you were the one to bring even more fantasy into the equation with the "Cadets one note" example.

"No. I'm saying that an unfinished show shouldn't be allowed to compete in the first place. An exhibition performance would be fine."

"My bands don't need to be told, they just do 'em. It's not "punishment", it's personal accountability, a lesson rarely taught in today's schools."

Hi there. I'd jut like to touch on these points: Not have a complete show before the beginning of the season? What the heck is that about? We worked all winter from October to March and never never went on the field without a complete 12 minute show - it just wasn't done. This included the drill and all the music.

As to personal accountability - We had formal rehearsals twice a week Friday and Sunday and I don't know of a section in our corps that didn't have individual section rehearsals all during the winter. Our little 34 man horn line was tight because we were in each other's heads. We knew that we owed it to our instructors and each other.

Puppet

"No. I'm saying that an unfinished show shouldn't be allowed to compete in the first place. An exhibition performance would be fine."

"My bands don't need to be told, they just do 'em. It's not "punishment", it's personal accountability, a lesson rarely taught in today's schools."

Hi there. I'd jut like to touch on these points: Not have a complete show before the beginning of the season? What the heck is that about? We worked all winter from October to March and never never went on the field without a complete 12 minute show - it just wasn't done. This included the drill and all the music.

As to personal accountability - We had formal rehearsals twice a week Friday and Sunday and I don't know of a section in our corps that didn't have individual section rehearsals all during the winter. Our little 34 man horn line was tight because we were in each other's heads. We knew that we owed it to our instructors and each other.

Puppet

We worked all winter as well. That's why an unfinished show in July is so alien to me.