I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

I didn't say "Penalize". I said they could perform in exhibition. MikeD said the "P" word.

What is this? "Pick on Apoch" week?

It's ok. apparently us old French horn players didn't get that memo.

But I still don't get it about giving the kid glove treatment to young people in their Wonder bread years.

And one other thing - aren't the shows considerably shorter now? Like by half?

Puppet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say "Penalize". I said they could perform in exhibition. MikeD said the "P" word.

Yes, I said that they should be penalized if UNDERTIME. That's all.

A judge should not consider anything outside of what has been presented...if it makes sense, even if the show is not 'done', it shouldn't matter. If what is presented just sort of ends mid-thought, then it would impact Effect, I hope. It should not impact the performance captions at all.

It's ok. apparently us old French horn players didn't get that memo.

But I still don't get it about giving the kid glove treatment to young people in their Wonder bread years.

And one other thing - aren't the shows considerably shorter now? Like by half?

Puppet

In our era shows were 11.5 - 13 minutes long, with execution stopping at the 11.5 gun. Included in the 11.5 would be a concert number that took up a couple of non-marching minutes...so there was about 9 - 9.5 minutes of actual music/movement. Todays shows are around 10 minutes or so...very little concentrated 'standing around' time.

Plus, the tempos are so much faster overall that they end up doing more drill in the same amount of time. A minute at 188 today versus 128 in the day means that it took about a minute and a half in our era just to match the counts of a minute of todays fast-paced shows.

I think the whole answer to this thread for some folks might be knowing what level this corps mentioned in the original thread was. I haven't seen too many corps that I have been around or just watched being coddled. A couple of years ago, I was watching a D1 corps rehearse, They were at the time ensembling what I later found out was the most demanding segment of their show. Well it seems that the brass weren't putting out the volume and intensity that was required so They ran a lap around the field, got back on the field and ran the segment again, This all was in 90+ degree heat and with no water break until they finished that segment. There's quite a few young people out there who can relate to that story. I'd dare say that the people marching today are generally better conditioned that we were bitd.

I think the whole answer to this thread for some folks might be knowing what level this corps mentioned in the original thread was. I haven't seen too many corps that I have been around or just watched being coddled. A couple of years ago, I was watching a D1 corps rehearse, They were at the time ensembling what I later found out was the most demanding segment of their show. Well it seems that the brass weren't putting out the volume and intensity that was required so They ran a lap around the field, got back on the field and ran the segment again, This all was in 90+ degree heat and with no water break until they finished that segment. There's quite a few young people out there who can relate to that story. I'd dare say that the people marching today are generally better conditioned that we were bitd.

I will only reply with this: Of course they are better conditioned. I remember posting a shot in another thread and got the incredulous response "Is that guy smoking a cigarette!?" It's a wonder we lived to tell the tale

Puppet

I will only reply with this: Of course they are better conditioned. I remember posting a shot in another thread and got the incredulous response "Is that guy smoking a cigarette!?" It's a wonder we lived to tell the tale

Puppet

Brings to mind warming up in Bridgeport, CT in 2006 with the Bridgemen Alumni Corps. Jersey Surf was doing marching warmups next to us (in their normal impeccable manner, of course !!!).

Somebody in the Bananas observed, "Boy, are they good !".

Whereupon somebody else promptly pipes up, "Yeah --- and skinny !!!!!!". :laughing:

Edited by docachna