I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

The changes from the 80's onward have been more than just g-two valve to Bb-three valve. And I don't know what to think. We've all argued the electronics on the field debate until blue in the face, but has anyone actually seen a modern rehearsal lately?

The corps I saw had 65 kids on the field.... and TWENTY TWO instructors! WHAT...THE... H-E double hockey sticks??? That's one instructor for every three kids. How are they paying this kind of staff?

Now, the kids are new. As the state I'm in didn't let them out of school until the 21st of June. So I can forgive a lot of what I saw. STILL, the drill wasn't finished. Not even a first draft of the drill was finished. Don't the kids have drill camps in the winter? How come the drill wasn't hammered out between last August and this July?

There were no commands. Seriously, these marchers don't know what "dress center dress" is. It's not in the modern vocabulary. There wasn't even one time the performers were called to attention. I suppose this is okay for modern drum corps, but it sure took away from the military tradition that created it. The drum major never spoke. Just stood on the podium, and waved his arms when the metronome clicked a beat. I asked about commands, and how important they were to parades. The response I got was that corps do not perform parades anymore. In fact, without retreats, they don't even know what a parade FORMATION is anymore. These performers had to be taught in 5 minutes at DCI backfield last year how to form and stand at retreat.

The staff constantly sweet talked. There was no passion to the performance, no volume... I couldn't tell if the pit was even playing the same show as the rest of the corps. And the colour guard was extremely dirty. But not once, were the performers told that it was (basically) terrible. "Saber line, don't worry about it. We'll work that out later.", "It would be really nice if there were more volume coming out of the trumpets, do you agree trumpet line?", "Can everyone try and listen better to others around them?". I couldn't believe my own ears! Where was the true statements? Why weren't mistakes being fixed with pushups?

I will see this corps perform again in two days. Supposedly, with a finished drill. I'm very worried for them.

Having said that, it's clear to see why some corps are exceedingly GOOD using this method of instruction as well. The kids don't stress the small stuff and just learn and learn and learn without threat of repercussion of doing things wrong. This is a very positive way to teach.

Using that, I can see kids wanting to learn. And that's really what it's all about, right?

As the performers become more confident in what they do, they will naturally become more passionate about it, as well. But it needs to happen much quicker than the current pace I see being produced.

Since there is no retreat, or parades, there really isn't much point in learning interval/distance, or commands. But it's still a shame, IMO.

I wonder if the kids help each other out as well. I didn't see that happening, but who knows what happens after time on the field.

Please post and help me be more confident in our beloved music activity. I could use the scolding/cheering up.

Edited by apoch003

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't sweat it, each kid will receive a MVP trophy at the banquet thus assuring the staff that they will gladly pay fees through the nose again next year so that the staff and friends will have something to do next summer and a free ride to see shows.

:tongue:

Welcome to the Dr Phil Generation !

Wow....don't know where you were but I have been watching my Son's rehearsals for three years and NEVER seen anything close to that. Even his high school band is much more serious than that

Unfortunately they don't learn about LIFE by teaching that way.

Hey while you mentioned "THE METRONOME," I hate them! I use them for myself once-in-a-while to get an idea for a tempo but I go with the "inner pulse." Read some books written by Edward Lisk and it makes perfect sense. I train my students by his methods now (inner pulse, Circle of Fourths, etc).

The changes from the 80's onward have been more than just g-two valve to Bb-three valve. And I don't know what to think. We've all argued the electronics on the field debate until blue in the face, but has anyone actually seen a modern rehearsal lately?

The corps I saw had 65 kids on the field.... and TWENTY TWO instructors! WHAT...THE... H-E double hockey sticks??? That's one instructor for every three kids. How are they paying this kind of staff?

Now, the kids are new. As the state I'm in didn't let them out of school until the 21st of June. So I can forgive a lot of what I saw. STILL, the drill wasn't finished. Not even a first draft of the drill was finished. Don't the kids have drill camps in the winter? How come the drill wasn't hammered out between last August and this July?

There were no commands. Seriously, these marchers don't know what "dress center dress" is. It's not in the modern vocabulary. There wasn't even one time the performers were called to attention. I suppose this is okay for modern drum corps, but it sure took away from the military tradition that created it. The drum major never spoke. Just stood on the podium, and waved his arms when the metronome clicked a beat. I asked about commands, and how important they were to parades. The response I got was that corps do not perform parades anymore. In fact, without retreats, they don't even know what a parade FORMATION is anymore. These performers had to be taught in 5 minutes at DCI backfield last year how to form and stand at retreat.

The staff constantly sweet talked. There was no passion to the performance, no volume... I couldn't tell if the pit was even playing the same show as the rest of the corps. And the colour guard was extremely dirty. But not once, were the performers told that it was (basically) terrible. "Saber line, don't worry about it. We'll work that out later.", "It would be really nice if there were more volume coming out of the trumpets, do you agree trumpet line?", "Can everyone try and listen better to others around them?". I couldn't believe my own ears! Where was the true statements? Why weren't mistakes being fixed with pushups?

I will see this corps perform again in two days. Supposedly, with a finished drill. I'm very worried for them.

Having said that, it's clear to see why some corps are exceedingly GOOD using this method of instruction as well. The kids don't stress the small stuff and just learn and learn and learn without threat of repercussion of doing things wrong. This is a very positive way to teach.

Using that, I can see kids wanting to learn. And that's really what it's all about, right?

As the performers become more confident in what they do, they will naturally become more passionate about it, as well. But it needs to happen much quicker than the current pace I see being produced.

Since there is no retreat, or parades, there really isn't much point in learning interval/distance, or commands. But it's still a shame, IMO.

I wonder if the kids help each other out as well. I didn't see that happening, but who knows what happens after time on the field.

Please post and help me be more confident in our beloved music activity. I could use the scolding/cheering up.

Unfortunately they don't learn about LIFE by teaching that way.

I am speechless! This is happening only in a parallel universe, right?!

It has not come to this, please tell me.

Only last month I met a young man who was traveling from South Florida to join the Crusaders for this year's competitive season. His aunt is a friend of mine of over ten years and never knew I marched as a youngster. My hundred dollars to his cause turned to over a thousand as I brow beat everyone in our neighborhood bar to match my contribution. I then did almost twenty minutes about what a great thing drum corps are for our youth and our country.

I may say some things that are not to my liking about how drum corps has changed over the years, but only between us here in the family. We never air our dirty laundry in public.

Keep your head up, apoch003. All is not lost.

Puppet

I am glad that I marched when I did in a much different day and age. I guess I am not totally surprised as it seems that "most" kids under the age of 27 have never been told they are wrong or that they are not the best at everything. At some point reality does set in and then they are devastated to hear they are not perfect. I liked it when accountability was taught at a very young age. Yes I know that was a very general statement but seems to be the ever growing trend.

I do hear there are other organizations out there that do believe in accountability and constructive criticism but I still do not think it is near the level that most reading the "historical" were accustomed to.

I had a band director who yelled alot BUT he wasan extremely knowledgable music teacher who taught us a way I'll never forget. BTW he also hated drum corps until he saw they were using two valves (LOL). Nowadays, they give the kids candy because they played "Bill Bailey" with only 100 mistakes. "Great job kids!"

My first year teaching we had a MB contest. The band messed up big time and I let them know it. They "brain farted" the entire show. I was honest with them. Two days later I received a card from an anonymous parent who felt that I was harsh with the students. I laughed and showed the other band director who replied, "I guess the truth really does hurt!"

No Child Left Behind is leaving MANY behind. Sadly, these kids will one day be our leaders. If you think our country is screwed up now...wait a while. Close your eyes or go live in the mountains. It's scary!

Hee hee! I know I don't teach like that....AT ALL. My students definitely know when I am on the podium or anywhere in front of the band, it's ALL business.

I've had my share of parents complaining about being "mean" to the kids. Well, it IS an elective, and there are plenty of other places at the school where they can go to "feel good". That being said, there are a lot of parents who appreciate a teacher calling it like it is. Most of these kids were raised by female teachers through grade school, and haven't encountered a strong male who will tell them when they are wrong.

Thank GOD I had Thom Hannum and Tom Aungst as instructors! If any of you here reading have worked with them, you know what I mean!

Apoch, you're in Portland, yes? I think it might be an Oregon thing, being a recent transplant here from So Cal. Fear not, it's not like that in most places.

I had a band director who yelled alot BUT he wasan extremely knowledgable music teacher who taught us a way I'll never forget. BTW he also hated drum corps until he saw they were using two valves (LOL). Nowadays, they give the kids candy because they played "Bill Bailey" with only 100 mistakes. "Great job kids!"

My first year teaching we had a MB contest. The band messed up big time and I let them know it. They "brain farted" the entire show. I was honest with them. Two days later I received a card from an anonymous parent who felt that I was harsh with the students. I laughed and showed the other band director who replied, "I guess the truth really does hurt!"

No Child Left Behind is leaving MANY behind. Sadly, these kids will one day be our leaders. If you think our country is screwed up now...wait a while. Close your eyes or go live in the mountains. It's scary!

I always find these types of conversations interesting. Have you all noticed that all of the parents and teachers, etc. that are treating kids these days like glass are of the age that grew up during the times where kids weren't treated like that? I've never really understood that. You'd think that if they were raised that way, they'd see nothing wrong with it.