What's with all the homeless people on the 50 yard lines at shows?

I agree with the OP. As a visual person and visual staff member, it is a distraction to have sloppy dress displayed within the visual space observed by the audience. It is possible to be reasonably well dressed while on tour (I have managed to do so for a couple of years, since 1974). Perfection is not essential, but believe it or not (and I think most staffs tell the corps that they are "onstage" all the time), it does affect how many audience members view the corps. IMO, few are going to be bothered by the on- and near-field staff looking neat, and some will find it refreshing, so why not ask it of the "major league?" Personally, I consider dressing well to be a sign of respect for both the audience and the corps members.

Edited by footform

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever it's worth, when we were at the Fairfield show last week, the group of people next to me brought up this issue amongst themselves. They were late 40's age corps vets and their families. One of them started off jokingly saying something like "shouldn't the sound guy be in a suit or something?" The one out there at the time was the flip-flopped, ragged t type. Then they agreed a suit would be too hot, but shouldn't they at least get him a corps shirt from the souvie stand? It stood out to this group that the guy looked inappropriate. And when you are in a smaller stadium like at Fairfield, it is more obvious, at least to those seated near the 50.

Ann

Well a very successful drum corps director once instilled in his corps members that "You can't have class on the field if you don't have class off the field". Personally, when I taught I always made an attempt to get cleaned up, golf shirt, button downs, walking shorts etc..... actually it is not that hard to do. Quite frankly I really do not care what others dress like, but if they do not have the ability to look at least "clean" perhaps that speaks of the respect they have for the organization. Maybe they did not have time to change or clean up, maybe there was a major problem that kept them from cleaning up etc..... if thats the case so be it, but I think that people here need to remember, alot of the paying audience at drum corps shows are band parents who are use to seeing staff and support staff in some designated "uniform" or similar clothing, some audience members are long time fans or alumni who know the trials of tour and some are new people to the activity or the family that has always gone to that summer "band" show down the street. As a drummer as well, I can tell you that aside from a few Metal Rock drummers (death metal, goth etc..) all the ads for drums seem to have people respectfully dressed, this includes the marching ads. Just a memory I had, was watching some corps at a show, Capitolaires were setting up (remember them?) all the staff I noticed were clean cut, wore either a corps shirt or corps jacket (most were in jackets), they sat together in the stands and alot of the people around commented about how professional that group is, "they must have great discipline", "They must be great teachers" were some of the comments...they may have had no more or less diccipline or been better or less educated but......the perception from those fans (only mildly familar with drum corps) was that they were. so after this long post.......When possible, dress respectfully for the corps image and the values and traditions that corps has. Just my opinion, neither right or wrong just what I think.

I hesitate to add to this thread because I have seen some very horrendous mistakes in the other direction, where corps staff dress up so much as to look hilarious (too-short skirts to be practical, totally inappropriate footwear such as high heels). However, I prefer that look because it speaks to the pride that one would take the time, however questionable the choices. But most of these guys (yes, most of them are guys and I guess if it were women it would not be so bad - call me sexist if you will) do indeed take the "casual" look too far towards the beach. Represent, men!

Also, in regards to the Original Post, I think homeless people display more dignity.... homeless people are understandably obsessed with caring for their feet and would most likely be wearing shoes with a clean pair of socks and NOT FLIP FLOPS.

What 28 total posts and you degrade homeless people. Smart. Very smart.

Just say you don't like amplification and move on. No need for rude comments on the plights of the homeless...many of home are mentally troubled or deficient and the facilities to help shelter and work with them are closing right and left.

But, you keep up the arse-like comments....that will make things better.

Um. I just want to know if this reply was for real.

I don't really agree with the point of the topic personally, but really? Are some people really this sensitive?

Cancer comments, I understand being sensitive over. This? Come on.

Um. I just want to know if this reply was for real.

I don't really agree with the point of the topic personally, but really? Are some people really this sensitive?

Cancer comments, I understand being sensitive over. This? Come on.

Yes, people can be this sensitive over something as stupid as dressing properly. I agree people are being ultra-defensive on something pretty non-defensable. Hopefully, I am not holding my breath, someone, somewhere, will read this, wake up and say, "Wow, mabe I should wear something nicer on the field...and wow, I never noticed the souvie booth over there possibly I should be modeling some of the latest wear out there when I am performing."

Edited by Mello Dude

Gee all the staff should dress up. I can't wait to see all the pretty dresses.