Dissension in today's ranks.

I never trusted DCI.

Not because management of my corps didn't like where it was taking us -

I was even then a person with his own mind and opinions.

I use trust in this context:

DCI, to me, is like that Uncle who comes over and always wants your little sister to sit in his lap.

DCI, to me, is like that kid who lived in the next block who used to tie cans to cats' tails.

DCI, to me, is like that guy who, when the interview is over, has a hand shake like a limp rag.

I think in it's effort to take ownership of a great youth activity, DCI is like every feral animal always looking to "mark" its territory.

I have been, like all who watch train wrecks or accidents on the side of the highway or a jumper on a bridge, unable to turn away.

It's fascinating, scary and creepy all at once.

Puppet

Yes, indeed; it's akin to studying an Ivan Albright painting - a celebration of decay. Your words above, Puppet, ring as true as do those of a John Donne sonnet or a Shakespearean soliloquy. Amidst the muck and mire of the miasmic maelstrom, your thoughts on the situation, crystallized as they are, stand as a shining beacon of pure reason and utter realization. Thank you for that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW...Bingo..can I put his on my Signature

"Discuss"? The problem with discussing this is that the old crowd knows what drum corps used to be. The new crowd has no clue what drum corps used to be. So the new crowd, who in no way can relate, blasts the old crowd. It's not exactly a pleasure to read some of that smack. Talk about dissension, wow.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they still use 2 valve bugles. Here ya go, I found this current pic.

And going to 2-valves was controversial, around 1977!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they still use 2 valve bugles. Here ya go, I found this current pic.

IMG_1402.jpg

And going to 2-valves was controversial, around 1977!

:sad:

Yeah, 2 valves was controversial..but not nearly as much as the change to 3 valves or to multi-key.

Marty - you and Sam are Kee-rect!! The 'Commandant's Own' has recently taken delivery of a new CUSTOM set of Kanstul 2 valve 'G' bugles..They have always played 2 valve 'G's since the change over in the late 70's.

Sorry Mr. Cairns - they have always played 'bugles'.. which by adding a 3rd valve negates the technical term BUGLE.

Before the upgrade to 3 valves, there have been any number of professional union-card carrying brass musicians who have played with different drum corps. When discovered by 'union officials' demanding they be paid to play..They were kindly informed that the 2 valve contraption the player was using could not be defined as a 'musical instrument' so the player was NOT engaging in playing an instrument for which he could be paid as a union musician.

I'm sure that the 'Old School' folks in the USMC and other services feel the same way, which is why that tradition will probably be the last to fall with the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps.

OK - geezer rant over :tongue:

Pat

Sorry Mr. Cairns - they have always played 'bugles'.. which by adding a 3rd valve negates the technical term BUGLE.

I don't think I can agree with this. To my understanding, the technical aspect of the term "Bugle" has far more to do with the conical degree of the tubing than with the number of valves.

IOW, a trumpet is a different beast than a three-valve soprano bugle, regardless of key, because the tubing of the trumpet (for the most part) remains a standard diameter until the bell flare, while the tubing of a bugle (for the most part) increases in diameter through-out its run.

IOOW, even "bugles" haven't really been bugles for several decades. :tongue:

Yes, indeed; it's akin to studying an Ivan Albright painting - a celebration of decay. Your words above, Puppet, ring as true as do those of a John Donne sonnet or a Shakespearean soliloquy. Amidst the muck and mire of the miasmic maelstrom, your thoughts on the situation, crystallized as they are, stand as a shining beacon of pure reason and utter realization. Thank you for that.

Touche! Zing! I do believe those remarks went right over the heads of most "drum corps" fans posting on this site. LOL

I don't think I can agree with this. To my understanding, the technical aspect of the term "Bugle" has far more to do with the conical degree of the tubing than with the number of valves.

IOW, a trumpet is a different beast than a three-valve soprano bugle, regardless of key, because the tubing of the trumpet (for the most part) remains a standard diameter until the bell flare, while the tubing of a bugle (for the most part) increases in diameter through-out its run.

Sorry, pal. Time for you to take a closer look at G bugles.

The soprano bugle is made from the major components of a Bb trumpet. MORE cylindrical tubing is added to lower the pitch a minor 3rd.

Baritones, contras --- same process. Cylindrical tubing equal to the length of the 3rd valveslide is added to the band instrument components. And the valve circuits are lengthened by 20%.

But G mellophones have LESS cylindrical tubing than the band models in F.

The soprano bugle is made from the major components of a Bb trumpet. MORE cylindrical tubing is added to lower the pitch a minor 3rd.

Baritones, contras --- same process. Cylindrical tubing equal to the length of the 3rd valveslide is added to the band instrument components. And the valve circuits are lengthened by 20%.

Fair enough. All I ever really dutifully look at is a Euphonium, and that primarily from a perspective of "OMG TARNISH! MUST CLEAN!"

Ok so then what has been this age old conicle vs cylindrical arguement that has been going on for years?

Is it just innacurate and has been a flawed debate since the 80's?

Ok so then what has been this age old conicle vs cylindrical arguement that has been going on for years?

Is it just innacurate and has been a flawed debate since the 80's?

People are debating based on some dictionary definition of "bugle", which refers to the traditional Gunga Din type which can be found in profusion on eBay.

But the bugles of our activity have been quuite cylindrical for over 80 years. Our bugle is whatever our rulebook says it is.

Similarily, we spin these things called "rifles" even though they are totally incapable of shooting a bullet.