Dissension in today's ranks.

2008 - 1964 = 44

:tongue:

:tongue:

Ok.

Have I mentioned I'm a writer not a mathematician?

Just feels like 50+ years!

Puppet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were a movie similar to, "Who Killed the Electric Car", made about the death of drum and BUGLE corps, then DCI would surely be the focus.

There were many reasons for the demise of neighborhood corps and circuits, but the actual guiding force in all of it was the agenda of DCI which made the environment unfriendly to all but the favored corps that could come up with the cash. Sort of like a successful church. (God needs a lot of cash $1.00 to George Carlin RIP)

The deed is done. It's over. What's left is DCI and they call it drum corps. That's the way it has to be because they're in charge, (even though everyone is free to follow their own course)

It happened so slowly that people see it as evolution, but that's BS. It was not evolution. It was and is, merely a CHANGE, into bands.

So be it. They put on a great show, none the less.

Now that is my opinion. It does not detract from the drum corps that exist today in DCI or DCA. It's interesting to discuss these topics and state opinions either way, however, if that's all you do and don't accept what's on the field today, whatever you choose to name it, the loss is yours.

We ain't going back, people. Chill and enjoy. That's all the performers of today want, enjoy their show and applaud, but don't boo. No one's hard fought efforts deserve that.

It happened so slowly that people see it as evolution, but that's BS. It was not evolution. It was and is, merely a CHANGE, into bands.

Since the standard definition of "evolution" is "change over time"; and since a purposefully-altered environment is an altered environment non-the-less, I'm not really getting what you're saying here.

Since the standard definition of "evolution" is "change over time"; and since a purposefully-altered environment is an altered environment non-the-less, I'm not really getting what you're saying here.

Evolution, is usually a, "change over time", into something that previously didn't exist. Now some of the sophisticated electronics didn't exist before now, but everything you see in drum corps, existed before, in the form of marching bands.

At best, I think you could say that today's corps are a manufactured hybrid of drum and bugle corps and marching band.

Evolution, is usually a, "change over time", into something that previously didn't exist. Now some of the sophisticated electronics didn't exist before now, but everything you see in drum corps, existed before, in the form of marching bands.

At best, I think you could say that today's corps are a manufactured hybrid of drum and bugle corps and marching band.

..which could be applied to corps of 1971 as well...or 61 or 81 or....

This has been going on since the beginning of time. When have older fans not been angry about the changes made in drum corps? We wax lyrical about the "good old days" and tradition, but if we really want to go back to the old ways we'd have to kick out the females, and get rid of the horns as more then half of the older corps that are still around started out as drum and bell corps. There was a huge uprising when pit players got to put thier instuments on the field instead of carrying them. Now it's just a fact of drum corps. There's some one on DCP with a banner that I love that says "Just because it's tradition, dosen't mean it's not increadibly stupid". Now that may be going a bit far, but it does hold some merit. There is no sport, or theater event that is exactly the way it used to be in the 50-60-70's. But people still go to shows, and games. Everyone has taken benifits from modern technology. Show designers didn't change their show design in the 70's because older fans didn't like it, and their not going to now. The G bugle is gone, mostly due to cost. Amps and narration are hear to stay for the forseeable future, and corps size will likley continue to get bigger. So if you are so against that, don't go. And just because you don't like what's going on now for one reason or another, doesn't mean that other fans don't. So what makes your idea of what drum corps is any more or less valid then those that actually do enjoy where drum corps is going. You had your time. It's gone, enjoy the change, give credit where it's due, or stay home and watch old videos.

Evolution is not mere "change"; most definitions usually imply an improvement over time, an adaptation to meet a changing environment. In DCI's case, the environment is affected by the economy and the tastes of the grand poohbahs in charge of DCI (whether the directors or the designers).

The economics continually put the squeeze on the corps. The irony is, as the poohbahs have ostensibly tried to mainstream DCI to more fans, they have made it less accessible to the general public - compounding the economics problems.