Dissension in today's ranks.

Talk is talk! Actions speak louder than words!

If there are corps out there than why is it not happening faster? They should band (couldn't think of another word to use here) together and start conversations with Gil and DCA. Then Drum corps, for them, would be a weekend gig, save money and keep things close to home. Corps could still travel to FL, GA, VA, MN, WI and even CA. Would they have their own class? I don't think that present DCA corps would like to see next years champ be The Jersey Surf. Would be a change of pace though.

Discuss

Speak for yourself! I'd LOVE to see what Surf could do head-to-head against the Bucs.

I quit complaining about DCI's style and use of amplification and Bb horns and over-tightened drum heads and everything else simply because I quit paying attention to DCI. DCA is more suited to my tastes. If you're a DCI fan, that's great. I' glad you enjoy that style of performance. It's not for me. Some people like mustard on their hot-dog, some like catsup.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Discuss"? The problem with discussing this is that the old crowd knows what drum corps used to be. The new crowd has no clue what drum corps used to be. So the new crowd, who in no way can relate, blasts the old crowd. It's not exactly a pleasure to read some of that smack. Talk about dissension, wow.

... some like catsup.

While some do indeed like catsup, some like ketchup. See! There's "dissension" (sic) in the "dissension" (sic), even. (Heavens to Murgatroyd! Exit, stage left!) :thumbdown:

And finally, I don't care how elaborate your music is... if I'm not tapping my foot to the melody, it's just notes. There's a difference! LEARN IT.

There's a related quote I member from "M*A*S*H" (I believe it was Winchester who said this): "I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music." That's kind of how I feel about a lot of what constitutes drum corps "music" these days.

Good analysis in the article, by the way. I find myself agreeing with much of it.

Expansion of DCI in 2009? Must have missed that memo.

:thumbdown:

Todd was referring to the rule change expansion - allowing for amplification of small brass ensembles and soloists beginning in 2009..

Pat

The old geezer mentioned in the article..and the ONLY person NOT listed as having an affiliation with any specific organization (we have a few folks PO'd about that - 'makes me no never mind' - $1 to Ferret Face )

There's a related quote I member from "M*A*S*H" (I believe it was Winchester who said this): "I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music." That's kind of how I feel about a lot of what constitutes drum corps "music" these days.

Good analysis in the article, by the way. I find myself agreeing with much of it.

I have been watching drum corps for over 50 years. Saw my first show at the World's Fair in 1964.

As a horn line member i began on what was known then as a Soprano graduating to the French Horn (because I played one - in "F" in the Music and Art High School Orchestra and the New York City All City Orchestra) those first instruments were valve and slide contraptions in "G". By the time Fluglehorns were introduced we were playing with a valve and a rotary, i switched and finally ended my career in drum corps on the Mellophone in 1972 after 7 years on the field. I've watched on the sidelines since.

Now I said that to say this:

I never trusted DCI.

Not because management of my corps didn't like where it was taking us -

I was even then a person with his own mind and opinions.

I use trust in this context:

DCI, to me, is like that Uncle who comes over and always wants your little sister to sit in his lap.

DCI, to me, is like that kid who lived in the next block who used to tie cans to cats' tails.

DCI, to me, is like that guy who, when the interview is over, has a hand shake like a limp rag.

I think in it's effort to take ownership of a great youth activity, DCI is like every feral animal always looking to "mark" it's territory.

I have been, like all who watch train wrecks or accidents on the side of the highway or a jumper on a bridge, unable to turn away.

It's fascinating, scary and creepy all at once.

That notwithstanding, the article was fair and even.

Puppet

"Discuss"? The problem with discussing this is that the old crowd knows what drum corps used to be. The new crowd has no clue what drum corps used to be. So the new crowd, who in no way can relate, blasts the old crowd. It's not exactly a pleasure to read some of that smack. Talk about dissension, wow.

You forgot to add how the old crowd blasts the new crowd. In spite of what you may think, there are plenty of people who are part of this "new crowd" you speak of who have taken the time to learn about "old" drum corps. They may not have been there to experience it, but they know about it and appreciate it.

These "minor" changes over the years have made too much impact, and too many people remain apathetic to them. The article quotes as drum corps being steeped in tradition. Yet, the Blue Devils are wearing uniforms from the same company that makes them for SCV, Madison, OC, Cavaliers and many others. It all looks the same.

What does the manufacturing company have to do with this? Unis were made by a few companies back in the day too. And no, they do not ll look the same, IMO.

I had no problems hearing the bells (the pit) BEFORE the advent of amplification. Yet, last year, the Cadets were actually TALKING all through their show. Which I found personally, to be VERY distracting.

For me some of last year's narration went perfectly with the show and created some amazing and exciting moments. Miccing the pit is not for the 'bells'...marimba and vibes in particular benefit from the mics amongst the mallet instruments. Also there is now an ability to use a wider array of traps, inc some of the softer instruments that would not have been audible without amps.

Miking the horns now to make up for the sound of Bb instruments because G's were naturally louder? WHY? Just go back to the G's and stop messing with a beautiful system that's worked since the civil war!

That is not why this rule was proposed and passed. BTW...DCA also permits any key instruments.

And finally, I don't care how elaborate your music is... if I'm not tapping my foot to the melody, it's just notes. There's a difference! LEARN IT.

Music may be 'toe tapping'..or maybe not. It all depends on the piece being played. That's part of the beauty of music.

You forgot to add how the old crowd blasts the new crowd. In spite of what you may think, there are plenty of people who are part of this "new crowd" you speak of who have taken the time to learn about "old" drum corps. They may not have been there to experience it, but they know about it and appreciate it.

Here! Here! I agree I have read some amazingly insightful stuff here from both camps. We have to realize that what ever change occurs in and around us, it is better t be like the willow in the wind. I live in South Florida and when a hurricane blows it's always the oaks that fall.

Yeah and I know:

"Wax on, wax off."

Puppet