DCA Corps in PA

competing drum corps is what i am looking for.. I am a color guard member. I wish the Westshoremen would come back out. Or a group of people would get together and start something new, I have read the Philadelphia Brass page.. nothing looks like a for sure thing on there. not a whole lot of info. Class A seems to be where the action is this year. Why not add a corps from PA into the mix? I don't think it would stay class A for long if things went well. LOTS of PA people love drum corps they just can't afford Jr corps prices or the long distance to other states for Senior corps.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't G-Force in Pennsylvania? I know that they shut down but there was an effort.

They were. But unless you live in PA, you won't understand when I say that east and west PA are like two completely different states. The western half of the state has had their share of amazing drum corps over the years, but these days, it may as well be a desert. NO competitive group has lasted there in recent years. Personally, I share the dream of having a competitive DCA corps in either Harrisburg or Allentown again. That was the best for me. Far enough to "suspend reality" as Chris put it, but close enough to be home by dinner on Sunday. 3-4 hour trecks to upstate NY or even VA are getting increasingly costly. I suspect that over the next several years, we'll continue to see a trend of more local-based corps popping up. Meanwhile, I believe the corps we have in Open Class today will get smaller as more and more people are forced to stick closer to home during the Summer. It's already starting now.

Remember folks, you heard it hear first!

They were. But unless you live in PA, you won't understand when I say that east and west PA are like two completely different states. The western half of the state has had their share of amazing drum corps over the years, but these days, it may as well be a desert. NO competitive group has lasted there in recent years. Personally, I share the dream of having a competitive DCA corps in either Harrisburg or Allentown again. That was the best for me. Far enough to "suspend reality" as Chris put it, but close enough to be home by dinner on Sunday. 3-4 hour trecks to upstate NY or even VA are getting increasingly costly. I suspect that over the next several years, we'll continue to see a trend of more local-based corps popping up. Meanwhile, I believe the corps we have in Open Class today will get smaller as more and more people are forced to stick closer to home during the Summer. It's already starting now.

Yes geographics is a killer. We have experienced that ourselves. Only the people who are well of or single can afford to travel more than an hour to rehearsals. We are recruiting closer to home which is ok sinse our population base within an hour is 1 1/2 million people. If this activity were to really catch on, we could have several corps inthe area.

Personally, I share the dream of having a competitive DCA corps in either Harrisburg or Allentown again. That was the best for me. Far enough to "suspend reality" as Chris put it, but close enough to be home by dinner on Sunday.

If only there was a world-class DCA corps between the two....

Wow. I live in Philadelphia and I have never heard of this group. Tried the myspace and it didn't work but the website did. It's under construction and doesn't have too much information. I assume this is a competitive all-age corps? I'll be keeping an eye on their development.

Okay. Tried the myspace again and it works.

I talked to the director last night. He has a very ambitious plan. As of now, he is is putting the final touches on a rehearsal site.

I am sure we will hear from him very soon.

So my question is....

Why are all the new corps started everywhere else but in PA. I would think with only one corps in PA there would be a strong membership is one were to start.

Anyone else agree?

Bear,

I would like to thank you for your statement and answer you this way. there is a new DCA corps starting this fall in the Philadelphia Area and it will be called the Sound Of Philadelphia. you can see our website at www.PhiladelphiaBrassDrumcorps.org. we are planning an open house in Oct and hope to have a full coprs on the field this next season.

Not sure here. If you refer only to DCA competing drum corps, then I guess the answer currently is one. The topic title does say DCA corps.

There are quite a few others though.

Cadets

Buccaneers Alumni

Reilly Raiders

Archer-Epler

Steel City

Hanover Lancers

Xtreme

Erie Thunderbirds

Emmaus Sentinels (they're back this year)

Belvederes (they're back this year)

There are lots of others........help me here!

Jerry

There are currently more than 20 options in PA

PA active corps

There are currently more than 20 options in PA

PA active corps

Only 2 competeing field corps (1 junior 1 senior). A couple of minis. Most on the list are small alumni.

I perform with one of them off and on (Bracken Alumni)

No competeing field corps in the Philly area though.

I know that is Philadelphia Sound's intentions.

Edited by OldBones

CrossmenXtreme does a full movement minicorps program designed for the stage dimensions. It consists of 16-17 brass & 4-5 percussion for competitive purposes. It has an expanded membership for other appearances.

J

Only 2 competeing field corps (1 junior 1 senior). A couple of minis. Most on the list are small alumni.

I perform with one of them off and on (Bracken Alumni)

No competeing field corps in the Philly area though.

I know that is Philadelphia Sound's intentions.

I suspect that over the next several years, we'll continue to see a trend of more local-based corps popping up. Meanwhile, I believe the corps we have in Open Class today will get smaller as more and more people are forced to stick closer to home during the Summer. It's already starting now.

Interesting words Sayre. Could this be the start of full circle perhaps? Money will always be an issue, and startup costs are through the roof, but might we see a resemblance of the old day when more local corps meant more circuits etc???

Pie in the sky I know, but just maybe.