Another Chesapeake Review 7/7/08

I don't think anyone had a problem with the fact that they were reviewed, only that they were called a "BOA show on drugs" (which doesn't seem to lend itself to improvement, unless you plan to, I don't know, put the show... in... rehab?) and the fact that he said he was a staff member of the Crossmen, and nobody seems to agree with that. Saying that people are "jumping" on these opinions is basically trying to redirect their point. I guess they could start an entirely new topic called "you weren't on staff", but that would be a little bit much.

BTW... I don't really dig the show that much this year, but I can tell you why: I'm still trying to see Crossmen, like the Crossmen that I'm used to, and it's just taking me awhile to get used to the fact that it's new, that they're new. Like when the Colts (NFL, guys, not DCI) moved to Indy from B'more. It took some getting used to. But I DID dig the maltese cross... crosses? Seemed like there was more than one, and it felt great when they were wailing on the jazz. I think they're still trying to "hit their stride" and when they do, everything will lock in, and they'll whup butt, like the Crossmen ALWAYS do.

Ok, so I am going to put this rest once and for all.

As I stated, I filled in for the Bari tech for the winter/spring season up until Move-In. When the hired Bari Tech came back, they offered me to come and tech, but could not pay me. I could not tour and give up my job for no bills. I was at all the camps from December until May, and it was one of the best educational experiences of my life. Looking back, I should have just jumped on tour and did it, but regrettably I didn't. I really don't need all Crossmen alums from the past 20 years coming on here and saying thanks, don't know you, goodbye. I was a young teacher that was given a chance for a couple weekends. A guy that was there 1/3 of the time and was just a fill in 8 years ago would problably not be engrained in my corps experience either. I am a HUGE Crossmen fan for god sakes. Give me a break. Can we talk constructively about the show, or just keep it to yourself.

Go Bones....!!!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

message deleted out of respect.

Edited by drewbugler

I have to defend the OP. He gave an honest review of the show and got jumped on. I understand liking positive reviews of your corps, but you must be able to read a negative review in order to get better IMO. Even if you don't think the review is accurate, someone feels that way and something in the program is making them feel that way.

By the way, no one addressed "...Many many mistakes, with stepoffs, entrances, tosses...." concerning the Crossmen, but many addressed the fact that they don't know the OP and tried to besmudge the guys character.

You can be a fan of the Crossmen organization and not fan of a given years production, it is allowed.

Hey man, I have zero problems with negative reviews. I've written my share fair. I do tend to have a problem when someone thrashes a corps and then tries to pass it off as constructive criticism. (pssst, pointing out missed stepoffs or errant tosses is not constructive. It's simply observational and addresses no way to correct the problems. Perhaps the author might have some legitimate suggestions for the staff that would assist them in better fixing the issues he sees. That would be constructive. Especially for someone who claims to love the corps so much.)

Or, if he isn't interested in being constructive and he just hates hates hates the show, then hate the show and leave it at that. No need to defend yourself at all. Just don't try to say people can't take constructive criticism. I'm willing to bet the Crossmen fans and alums here would be very interested to hear some of that. They're not blind. They know the corps has problems. I'm sure if the author was more respectful in his review and actually WAS constructive about it, we wouldn't be here now talking about all this. Although I must admit the fact that nobody around from the time seems to know who this guy is has been mildly amusing.

Sermon over. So sayeth the giant spider... :thumbup:

Hey Al...you do remember me. I have visited NYC a few times and hung out with you at the Letterman show. You don't remember Diet Dr. Pepper spilling on your boots? lol This is BIG Bob from VA.....

Good to see you at Chesapeake

Must have made quite an impression! Not every day that someone gets Dr. Pepper spilled on their boots! :thumbup:

What a really strange thread. . . haven't been around in a LONG time. . . good to know the level of discourse remains. . . "high". . .

:thumbup::tongue:

Safe travels to all. . . old and new.

Chuck

Proud owner of 4 fun-filled years of Crossmen memories. . .

PS: 2000 Crossmen Brass Staff:

Dean Musson

Evan Rogavin

Al Chez

Mickey Chez

Bill Boandl

Chuck Naffier

2001: Add Mike Ary and Joe Exley, subtract Bill Boandl. . .

Edited by man of the ages