Another Chesapeake Review 7/7/08

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are the first person to talk so negatively about the crossmen's show design. not saying your opinion is wrong, im just sayin.

I was thinking the same thing. No corps will be everyone's cup of tea, but it seems most think the Crossmen have stepped it up in terms of talent and design this year. Go Bones!

you are the first person to talk so negatively about the crossmen's show design. not saying your opinion is wrong, im just sayin.

The man behind that statement is "Bob Glover" 2001 Brass Staff for the Crossmen from Virginia Beach. (This According to the CAA database, but I don't see him on any rosters)

BTW--I've been collecting and sending all comments and recaps to the '08 Crossmen staff that I can find this year. I'll make sure they get this one too. He and anyone else that makes a comment has the right to do so. My hope is that the Corps can use these comments as a learning tool to improve for the future. Whether the recap is good or bad, they're getting them.

peace

Edited by xbones7480

Sure, he and everyone else is entitled to their opinion. I guess I don't get the BOA comment. It seems to me that the Crossmen have a very straight forward drum corps show this summer. No gimmicks, no narration, just a solid visual package with good music arrangements that they are working to clean. I think the BOA comment was an unnecessary dig (not that I think BOA is bad, but the intent was clear).

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP (haven't seen/heard it yet), but maybe some people actually listened to their parents:

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Edited by danjuan2000

After 4 straight days of rain in the Southeastern Virginia area, this beautiful cloudless evening was welcomed and ended up making a great night for drum corps.

Crown had a small ensemble do the Star Spangled Banner. This was just a tease of things to come...beautiful sound as usual.

First on - Teal Sound

The corps has its biggest numbers in some time, and I think this is proving to be difficult in their cleaning. Their sound was impressive from the start, but slowly waned as the show went on. The closer is apparantly very new to them, but kudos to this young open class corps for GOIN' AFTER IT. Feet are extremely dirty, and some people must have just joined the corps because there were some deer in healights moments. Overall..good job and entertaining.

Boston Crusaders

I had huge expectations for this show, since they were spanking everyone visually early in the season. I do think this corps is very good, but WHOA were those numbers inflated. Crusaders have a strange approach to moving at a 6-5 or 5-5 step size, and it affects their playing when they are trying to run. Corps had some extremely good brass moments, especially in the Ballad. The first turnaround of Also Sprak was the first "blowmyfaceoff" moment of the night. Drumline was pretty on fire....Bass line made me stand up. Guard was ok...they are spinning those weird sickle things and have some technique issues.

Crossmen

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a lifetime Xmen fan and a former brass staffer. I was expecting good things from this corps, as they were finally on their feet and on their own. I can honestly say, I was extremely dissapointed with their show. Many many mistakes, with stepoffs, entrances, tosses, you name it..it went wrong. I hope this was just a bad night, but from the scoring it seems this may have become the standard. The show design is just plain bad. It is a BOA show that got ahold of some bad drugs. I hate to be so negative, but I just sat there and held my head. I hope they they can become a cleaning machine, but I just don't see the show's design lending itself to being a top 12 program this year.

Crown

Ok, so I had no idea what was about to happen. This corps is musically AMAZING. I loved the show concept, and was prepared to take a 10 minute musical journey through my favorite classical and drumcorps music EVER. I told the other drum corps alumns around me that this show should drop the title FINIS and call it TRANSITIONS. It was just a bunch of transitions and layering that was MASTERFULLY done. As an arranger, I kept having the WOW moments on asking how did they do that? It is seamless and suprising, all done in a joking manner that had everyone asking "whats wrong with doing drum corps AND having a bit of fun". That came from a DCI show staffer btw. If they could just clean their feet, they would be top 3 EASY. Like Phantom, they seem to have the worst time getting their feet to the level of their playing. I am a new die-hard fan. Crown just makes me smile when I listen to the lush dark sound.

The Cadets

The Cadets are doing something completely different than anyone else, and as usual it leaves the crowd not knowing what to think. I volunteer with them every year on support staff, and I love what this organization stands for and does for the activity. The show starts with their "ballad", and American Elegy never sounded so thick and rich. The explination of the "..pursuit of happiness" is just a little campy, but I like the vocal changes they have already made, and i'm sure there are more to come. They lost power to the soundboard halfway through the opener, and we missed the entire emotional explination of what was about to happen. If you had never seen this show before, then you were totally lost the rest of the time. I don't know if someone "accidentally" pulled the power from the stadium or what, but how conspicuous it happen to them and nobody else. Aside from the narration catastrophe, that freakin corps can PLAY. The hornline is superior technically, and the drums made people scream and clap. The guard is very good as well. Their drill is crazy, and they are actually decently clean for this time of year. The epilogue ending is not my fav, but I am sure it will change when the judges say it doesn't work.

These are just some comments from someone who has been around and know how non-musical fans react to certain things. People that just sit there and boo a corps because they don't like voice should get a clue....appreciate this artform and embrace it, because its not going away.

When were you an instructor for the Crossmen?

Edited by drewbugler

Never heard of him.

:thumbdown:

I was a Bari Tech for the entire winter/spring season in 00-01 thanks. The normal guy couldn't be there until tour. I even ran ensemble a couple times.....I am sorry I am forgettable and not in the cool guys club. I was just a fill in and they asked me to tour without pay....it was my first drum corps teaching experience. I could not tour for free and I do not know why everyone is drinking haterade....I Love the Crossmen and think they are on the right track, but the show was just poorly designed. Take a look at the recaps and tell me that I am alone in that opinion? They have horses in the corps, but the books are just...well....not doing it.

BTW here is a review from someone else just posted in another thread from the same show.

"Crossmen: the brass arrangements just do not work for me, and percussion was not a tight job tonight. I thought brass

performance has improved since Madison, but I don't think the book is very effective. I thought the guard was

decent tonight and the visual package is probably the best part of the show, but it may be a bit late to attempt

major musical re-writes............."

Edited by brassinstructor

The Cadets ... I don't know if someone "accidentally" pulled the power from the stadium or what, but how conspicuous it happen to them and nobody else.

People that just sit there and boo a corps because they don't like voice should get a clue....appreciate this artform and embrace it, because its not going away.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the reviews of the show...was it an intentional silencing of their PA system?

And to your second comment, I think people are hoping that the amplified voice will go away. That's probably why they're booing it. Just a thought. :thumbdown: