Cadets explain the 2008 narration

Yeah, except he's added to it with the haggard physical appearance of the tortured artist that he's adopted the last couple of seasons.

Kind of adds something, doesn't it?

Oh, and George ... If you make the mistake of coming on DCP tonight: SHAVE! :ph34r:

I think that if he really means it, he should cut off his ear. That would really show all of us that don't understand his art, that he is a real artist...

Edited by paultxsa

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's some more of that constructive criticism thing I was talking about ... :ph34r:

I agree with the above -- the character is just not believable in her words, in her tone. She's just not believable as a 60 year old with all those life experiences. And I don't believe the dialog as coming from a 60 year old either. The whole thing comes off (to me) as a 20 year old trying to tell me (someone more than twice her age) what the secret to life is. It's just not effective.

If this is the story and message the Cadets choose to protray, my suggestion is that they make the interviewee the 20-year old daughter of Sara Jones (who maybe recently passed away) explaining in a 20-year old voice, with a 20-year-old's words how SHE viewed her mother's life and experiences. How SHE saw her mother struggle with work, ambition, relationships, sickness, etc and how SHE (the daughter) marvelled at her mother's ability to find Happiness before the end. It might not wrap in a simple "snap your fingers and you're happy", but that's a nonsense philosophy anyway, imo. I'd be much more impressed and affected by a show that spoke of the mother thru the daughter, who doesn't have all the answers, but is maybe armed with her mother's strength as she sets out on her own Pursuit of Happiness. I believe a story like that (even if it contains more questions than answers) would resonate so much better with the audience, young and old alike.

I actually really like this idea. I think it would give a more sentimental and mysterious quality, and a less preachy one. It would be cool to just have the girl discussing her mother's life in little snippets and anecdotes, nothing too rambling that would steer attention away from the corps members performing on the field, followed by the music and movement to represent that part of the woman's life story.

I think it could work well. What a great idea! :ph34r:

Maybe you should drop Mr. Hopkins an email... Who knows?

Narration = EPIC FAIL

Yowza!

"The whole thing comes off (to me) as a 20 year old trying to tell me (someone more than twice her age) what the secret to life is"

If one wishes to be inspired to contemplate the meaning of life, I recommend Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. The inanity of this narration can only interest metaphysical midgets (no offense intended to midgets, metaphysical or otherwise).

Boom

"The whole thing comes off (to me) as a 20 year old trying to tell me (someone more than twice her age) what the secret to life is"

If one wishes to be inspired to contemplate the meaning of life, I recommend Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. The inanity of this narration can only interest metaphysical midgets (no offense intended to midgets, metaphysical or otherwise).

Boom

Pssst..................it's called EST ......EST mental midgets

There is noting to get so therefore you got nothing

( no matter how much you paid )

Please leave us metaphysical types out of this insanity, thank you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training

http://skepdic.com/est.html

http://www.rickross.com/groups/est.html

Edited by The Other Mike

Yeah, but then again, when you are being called satan, compared to hitler, and the corps you have devoted your entire life too is getting trashed as they are on here you can understand why he would want to stay away. I don't blame him one bit. To say he should be able to separate the two, I say we some of us should be able to express our opinions with a little bit more respect and class from time to time. . .and I think most of us are guilty of it at times.

Well, I said it was a shame -- maybe the shame is ours ....

Actually, I think most do express themselves well on here -- there are a small percentage of usual suspects on both sides of the argument that hijack any thread that even remotely touches on the Cadets or narration or whatever and quickly overwhelms and devolves any decent, constructive conversation into the same, repeated, circular nonsense. I'm smart enough to ignore that crap and stick to the topic. I understand that Mr. Hopkins may not feel it's worth it and that's fair. I just think it's unfortunate (for him and for us), because I think there is lots of good stuff that we could learn and enjoy from each other.

Boom

Or Aristotle .. as I mentioned in the other thread in question, it is an Aristotelian view of Happiness that I am presenting that I believe (although difficult to portray) would resonate well with the audience and leave them (more) satisfied at the attempt.

Edited by Liam

I haven't seen the video yet, but the controversy reminds me of a conversation I had on Monday. After the Stanford show, I stayed up in Northern California and had a meeting with a certain company that built a certain map program which is becoming very popular. The head manager of the project was discussing how they report all disputed borders / names / etc. in their program and allow users to upload content, descriptions and / or stories relating to locations (which can be reviewed and flagged by the community, ala wikipedia). This has prompted so much hate mail, and visits from various leads of tribes and even diplomats of various countries. (one visit involved an Indian in full head dress with spear in tote)

The manager said that he has never been a political person, but seeing the reaction of certain groups has caused him to form opinions about certain groups that have been acting unreasonable.

What they get from all this activity is the sense that they are relevant. I would say that love it or leave it, all the passionate discussion about Cadets use of narration definitely means that they are still relevant, as we all know.

Anyway, not sure if that little nugget adds anything to this thread, but I felt compelled to share.

Another post mentioned discussions on this site.YES there are some very interesting and thought provoking discussions BUT there also is the opposite. I think we , ( Including myself ) forget that some members read all what we have to say but I also know for a fact that most directors tell their members to stay off this site infact i know of many that have told members if they post they will be released from their programs ( And this included parents ). The Cadet thing at times has got brutal and alot of the time completely left the topic of narration or show concept and directly went to a discussion about a director ( personally ) which is a person that their members respect or should while they are members ( Or they should leave )

I by no means am saying I am a fan of their director or maybe even the corps but we can discuss if we like or dislike a show or even the direction of the activity but when a thought is sent out to the general public unfortunately it drifts from the subject almost in an a few posts.

Ok im done going on and on....sorry... :ph34r:

Well, I said it was a shame -- maybe the shame is ours ....

Actually, I think most do express themselves well on here -- there are a small percentage of usual suspects on both sides of the argument that hijack any thread that even remotely touches on the Cadets or narration or whatever and quickly overwhelms and devolves any decent, constructive conversation into the same, repeated, circular nonsense. I'm smart enough to ignore that crap and stick to the topic. I understand that Mr. Hopkins may not feel it's worth it and that's fair. I just think it's unfortunate (for him and for us), because I think there is lots of good stuff that we could learn and enjoy from each other.

Well said!