Cadets explain the 2008 narration

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez Boo! Now you've got all kinds of people fighting about all kinds of things. Nice work!

Boom

Ya, thanks Boo! Now I am depressed.

So George was wrong when he talking about the kids in the Cadets went there knowing what they were in for ?

What flavor is the Kool Aid this year ?

:ph34r:

Notice that I said "because I'm sure that all of this bashing really hurts some of them......"

After watching the video..

I am happy to hear that changes are coming around (even though I knew them after a few phone calls from a current marching member), and that they're for the right reasons (feedback).

But the Cadets of 2000 and before are no longer the Cadets of now.

They've morphed into something knew.

And I'm actually fine with that now.

Just don't do Alice again k? LOL

Notice that I said "because I'm sure that all of this bashing really hurts some of them......"

And I'm sure "some of them" are to the point that they get pumped up by it.

Come on, it's nothing new for the Cadets. If it was the first year and they were all 12 or 13 and this all came out of no where ? I'd agree with you 100% and would lead the charge against the nay sayers.

I would even become a card carrying members of the PC police.

Until then, Hopkins should come out at finals dressed as Sparticus just to get the crowd going and everyone could either give thumbs up or down.

Think how many people would like him if he had a sense of humor like that.

It's all in the programming of EST.

Think how many people would like him if he had a sense of humor like that.

Idk.

From the times I've spoken to Cadets members, I've heard of some hilarious things that Hopkins has either done, or said.

Especially pertaining to Mr. Dynamite

:ph34r:

I almost hate to bring this up again ... but ....

I'm still bothered by the message itself -- that Happiness doesn't have to be pursued or worked at -- that it's simply there for the taking. I find this to be fluff talk from the entitlement crowd. I find it ironic that an organization that fully understands that it takes lots of hard work and dedication and discipline to put on a drum corps show, uses that same show to project a message that Happiness takes no such work, that we're all entitled to it and it's there for the taking, as simple as a snap. I can't disagree more with this philosophy. Yes, Happiness is (potentially) attainable by all, but we are not guaranteed obtaining it; we are only guaranteed the right to pursue it -- and pursue it we must -- through life and learning and wisdom and applying all those to better ourselves and those around us. Don't confuse giddiness or some sort of appetital or emotional glee with true Happiness and I think the message being presented takes the easy way out -- again ironic for a production that otherwise is the result of long, hard work and discipline.

As always, I appreciate Mr. Hopkins' willingness to speak openly and honestly about his approach and his outlook.

With all due respect, I think you're missing the point.

What I get out of it is that happiness is a frame of mind. Certainly, you can work to achieve it. You can bust your ### to pursue your dreams. But at the end of the day, your happiness is determined by you and nothing or no one else. It isn't money. It isn't your career. It may not even be your spouse or children. It CAN be those things, most definitely.

But it doesn't have to be.

I think the story they are trying to tell (and yes, it needs some serious refinement in getting the point across) is that too often, we as human beings get so caught up in the daily grind - the bills, the job, etc. - that we easily loose sight of how fortunate we are. We focus so much on finding that perfect job, the perfect spouse, that we forget about the present.

"I'm not happy now, but I will be when (insert aspiration here)...."

If we all just take a second and slow down and appreciate where we are and what we've done, we'd probably be a happier bunch of folks.

This is all just my take on the story and for me personally, it's something that I've taken to heart. I can't say that I'm in love with the show as it is right now, but I can honestly say, it's impacted me more than any other show this year. Yes, part of me wants the Cadets of yesteryear back. But I also applaud them for doing something different.

As to those mocking the "narration that needs narration".... I can't say I blame Hop for putting videos and webinars out there considering the number of people out there that seem to think this is the Breast Cancer Show.

You have a point, but then I have to ask myself, how many of us here will actually give narration a chance, or will a show suck simply because it contains that element?

I think it might be helpful to point out that there appear to be 2 distinct groups out there that dislike the 20008 Cadets use of Narration. One group, fairly large it appears nationally, dislike the use of the introduction of Voice into the realm of Drum Corps. Philosophically, they are opposed to it's use. Thus, no matter how effectively voice may be introduced into a show, it's a non starter with this group right from the get go. Then there is the 2nd group, it appears also very large nationally, that is willing to be open to the possibility that voice can be utilized in a Drum Corps show effectively. This 2nd group, unfortunately for The Cadets this year finds the Cadets use of voice in this years 2008 show as ineffective. Their negative critiques seem to focus on a myriad of reasons put forth by audience members why it does not work for them personally. Some say.... " too serious a topic"...... or" confused message"..... or " too lengthy a narrative for a short show "........ or " distracting message over the other performers "....... or " narrators are simply too young to have experienced sufficient wisdom to lecture or impart insights into such complex or deeply personal things as " job on Wall Street", or" Breast Cancer survival", etc....... or for other reasons where it simply does not work well.

Unfortunately for the Cadets, when one combines these two groups in sheer national audience numbers, The Cadets are up against a HUGE number of people that for one reason or another find The 2008 Cadets show disappointing given the wonderful talent, staff and resources at this Corps disposal. Narration or No Narration.

That's my take anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Until then, Hopkins should come out at finals dressed as Sparticus just to get the crowd going and everyone could either give thumbs up or down.

There would be plenty of people griping if he did that.