Should corps take numerous days off to rehearse between shows?

Speaking of being absent from competition, I noticed we haven't had a score for the Pioneers in about a week. Did they call it quits or are they hiding and rehearsing somewhere in hopes of not finishing last in quarters? Just asking.

Edited by morganhill

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not. No way. I am honestly totally opposed to that idea, I've long agreed with Scott Stewart (and disagreed with George Hopkins):DCI needs to institute rules requiring minimum sleep time, and capping rehearsal time, especially since most corps allow minors to march. If you let corps determine whats best for "the kids experience" theres always going to be someone wanting to drive all night, hop straight off the bus and start rehearsing, run 12-15 hour a day rehearsals, cut into meal and sleep time, and basically abuse the marching members. i've seen too many drum corps marching through the parking lot looking like zombies in my day (star, cadets, spirit, etc.) from the floggings their staff put on them. and its never about maximizing the marching members experience, its always about winning. competition is fine, but i don't condone abuse in the name of scores, and DCI shouldn't either.

If this goes on from year to year, with "minors" as you allege, then shame on the parents of those minors for not putting an end to the nonsense. Otherwise, they are as guilty as the others you're accusing of creating an abusive environment.

Absolutely not. No way. I am honestly totally opposed to that idea, I've long agreed with Scott Stewart (and disagreed with George Hopkins):DCI needs to institute rules requiring minimum sleep time, and capping rehearsal time, especially since most corps allow minors to march. If you let corps determine whats best for "the kids experience" theres always going to be someone wanting to drive all night, hop straight off the bus and start rehearsing, run 12-15 hour a day rehearsals, cut into meal and sleep time, and basically abuse the marching members. i've seen too many drum corps marching through the parking lot looking like zombies in my day (star, cadets, spirit, etc.) from the floggings their staff put on them. and its never about maximizing the marching members experience, its always about winning. competition is fine, but i don't condone abuse in the name of scores, and DCI shouldn't either.

:sad: I have never in my time here on the planet thought that I would say, "best quote of the year" :tongue: , but this is it :sad: . Way too much emphasis on winning and way too little emphasis on the health of the members. Pure pressure in corps will already keep the intensity up, but it would be nice to see a rule governing the down time and practice time for corps. There are rules in place for everything in DCI, but NOT how the corps can use or abuse their members. I have watched many practices where kids drop over from the heat. They are then "helped" by another member to the side of the field and left to lay for a bit. Every one of the kids I saw this happen to is then back into the drill formations in a WAY to short of period. I only saw a staff member ONCE that went over and chatted with the individual. This isn't an isolated incident. The kids are petrified of taking any truly needed break , (for fear of losing their spot to an alternate?). Remember back to the Cap Regiment debacle where kids weren't hardly getting food during tour? Where was the help? Where are the rules? Back to the topic, all corps used to get this kind of break, back when there were two distinct sets of tours. I think EVERY corps could use a break like that to get their affairs in order, and maybe even to let the injured recover..

BK members didn't have it easy for those days they didn't compete. They had to get cross country from Illinois back over to Ogden, Utah. They did 400 miles per day for 3 days to make the 1200 miles. They did 8 hours on the bus each day for 3 days in a row. They stopped along the way to get some floor time and rehearsal time (and showers and food). Their actual full rehearsal days were when the finally got to Utah - so they had maybe 2 full real rehearsal days, from what I can figure

Thanks.

Speaking of being absent from competition, I noticed we haven't had a score for the Pioneers in about a week. Did they call it quits or are they hiding and rehearsing somewhere in hopes of not finishing last in quarters? Just asking.

According to their tour schedule they are off from the 7th until the 14th. Your "last" bit is a little cold and callous. "just saying".

Edited by 84skyrydr

Wow - I've rarely seen a less appropriate post on DCP. :tongue:

Isn't that what drum corps should be about? Bringing the show to the fans? And having the fans reward the performers by filling the stands and throwing babies?

This is where you lost me. Sorry, the drum corps need to do whats best for them; not what's best for bored people on DCP.

It's used to be very common for BK (and other corps as well) to have a "first tour/second tour" format to the summer. Part of the reason is geography. The gulf surrounding Denver can be pretty vast, unlike the midwest where there are shows on top of shows for a third of the season or more.

Then I wouldn't have marched. That's what drum corps was about. Rehearsing like crazy, pushing yourself, etc. That's what made it hard core. Everyone I marched with used to hype on the stories of Star rehearsing late into the night and wishing we could have that some days. When you start limiting full rehearsal days or 2-3 day breaks from shows, expect dirtier shows at the end and less complete because mid season changes couldn't be pulled off correctly. They you can ##### about the quality of shows.

Through teaching recently, I've heard more complaints about short rehearsal days and not having enough time to get things done then complaints about working too hard.

Edited by rmurrey74