The Music City

Yes I was at Denton. I handed out some CDs of the Texas Drum Corps Preview. Probably not to you though. Just one per group. If I knew the corps director, they got it. Otherwise I got it to whomever appeared to be the oldest member/roadie. Baring that the drum major got it.

Well, he's the director, I was playing drum major, and if neither of us got it, then somebody's holding out on us!

Hmmm...Verne appears the oldest--we'll have to shake him down!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Pronti loose in Nashville... that's dangerous... Bunny... you get hold of Dick and keep him out of trouble... we're the same age. So that means he's really old and decrepit...

Thanks for the warning, Tom! Dick didn't say when he was coming to Nashville, but I am assuming from his post that he will be here just in time for Music City Metal II, our home show on August 2nd. We are honored that he would join us. I'll do my best to keep him out of trouble!!

What are the chances of seeing Tom Peashey in Nashville again?

Welcome to Columbus!!! My wife and I seem to be the only ones in the Bi-City area with a Drum Corps past. In other cities I have lied in, people woudl ask about my Glassmen Alumni Sticker on my car. Nothing so far in Columbus. Anyway. PM me if you want to catch a beer or such in town......

Well, he's the director, I was playing drum major, and if neither of us got it, then somebody's holding out on us!

Hmmm...Verne appears the oldest--we'll have to shake him down!

Well you need to pester Mike. I was there when it was handed to him. It was me, Mike and one of our Mellos. You staff types were hiding in the press box! It was only a little rain! :bluedevil:

Thanks for the warning, Tom! Dick didn't say when he was coming to Nashville, but I am assuming from his post that he will be here just in time for Music City Metal II, our home show on August 2nd. We are honored that he would join us. I'll do my best to keep him out of trouble!!

I'll be in Nashville the 1st untill the 6th. I enjoy Nashville. I am so looking forward to seeing some of the Southern corps.

Music City Legend holds most of its rehearsals on the campus of Cumberland University in Lebanon, Tennessee. The site is easily accessible from exit #238 of I-40 at US route 231, about 20 miles east of Nashville. The corps' next rehearsal is Saturday, 19-Jul.

Having seen MCL at Manassas Park for a recent DCASouth contest, I heartily recommend to anyone who has a chance to see them: DO IT! They have a great show. Even if they can't improve on their 2007 finish, they're Top 10 in my opinion.

BTW, is that Cumberland University the same whose football club lost the most lopsided game in college history, 222-0? (I ask only 'cuz I attended the school that was on the winning side in that contest.)

Having seen MCL at Manassas Park for a recent DCASouth contest, I heartily recommend to anyone who has a chance to see them: DO IT! They have a great show. Even if they can't improve on their 2007 finish, they're Top 10 in my opinion.

BTW, is that Cumberland University the same whose football club lost the most lopsided game in college history, 222-0? (I ask only 'cuz I attended the school that was on the winning side in that contest.)

Yes, Dale Bari, that would be the one. I personally do not know much of their more recent football history, but I do know that Cumberland University has an excellent music school, with Joe Murphy at the helm. It is a beautiful campus and we thoroughly enjoy being there for our rehearsals.

BTW...........thanks again for all the great comments about MCL. We are very excited about our show this year and have big plans for DCA! :bluedevil:

Yes I was at Denton. I handed out some CDs of the Texas Drum Corps Preview. Probably not to you though. Just one per group. If I knew the corps director, they got it. Otherwise I got it to whomever appeared to be the oldest member/roadie. Baring that the drum major got it.

What do you mean you haven't marched since college? That's about all I did in the Army. March on, play 15 minutes, stand at attention for 2.5 hours, play 5 minutes while marching off. Several times a day, six days a week, 48 weeks a year. Plus all of the regular army stuff. Bi-Annual PT test. Annual Rifle Qualifications (even though that's the only time you saw one outside of basic). Plus all of the mandatory fun days, and battalion 4 mile runs and such. I miss getting paid to play, but not that much.

My 1st MOS was 45L Artillery Repair, My 2nd was 88M and My 3rd is now 42R Bandsman, which I've only held for 3 weeks now.

Marching in the regular troop formations is really not the same as marching in the Band. We did 6 Change of Command Ceremonies for the 3rd ID this week. I think I've got it down now.

I got the CD. Mike Oliver, our former 2nd Bari, got it from you and he gave it to me. Texas Drum Corps Preview sounds pretty cool. I'm glad I didn't look like the Oldest guy in our Corps.

Jeff

Edited by Kansan

Welcome to Columbus!!! My wife and I seem to be the only ones in the Bi-City area with a Drum Corps past. In other cities I have lied in, people woudl ask about my Glassmen Alumni Sticker on my car. Nothing so far in Columbus. Anyway. PM me if you want to catch a beer or such in town......

Darn! I was computerless after we got to the Fort. Our Pop/Rock Band did a gig on the river Thursday night on the Alabama side (Pheonix City?)

42R? I thought they were always 02? series. Something like the 2nd or 3rd oldest military MOS. I was a 02E (Trombonist). I went through basic with a bunch of 88M(truck driver) types. And 12B?s(combat medics).

PHENIX CITY. Note the spelling, or misspelling. There's a nice little BBQ place on that side of the river. Right on the corner of one of the main intersections (It's paved and has a stop light). As I try to recall the main drag right outside the gate, victory blvd? It's on that road, towards the last (still in the city) light, biggest highway intersection in Phenix City. Something Hog, or Hog something comes to mind(SW Corner). It was over a decade ago. There's a number of other nice BBQ places all along that road, on both sides of the river, so even if you don't make that one, you probably wont be disappointed.

It was always nice getting directions from a local down there. It's about a mile from where the piggly wiggly USED TO BE. Or it's the third right (NOTE: unpaved roads count as one or more of those rights). Despite it's sharp contrast to California where I grew up, I sort of miss that place. The main culture shock was having to be finished with your shopping by 4pm, before everyone closed up shop and went fishing, or whatever they did down there. And hopefully you wont need any vehicle maintenance while there. (deep southern draw) Three cylinder, they ain't make no three cylinder, You'd half to bring dat in.