Can someone please explain GE to me?

It's obvious that none of the DCI judges has a clue what GE is. Can we all get on the same page? Can someone from DCI explain it? My impression was that its supposed to be about connecting with the crowd... but the corps that are winning GE aren't connecting with me at all.

20 years in this activity, and I really have had it with the judging system. Can we please just hand the trophy to BD so we can go on with our lives... sheesh.

This judging system stinks to high heaven... and no one cares.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

General Effect - directly off of DCI's website:

Effect

The most global area of evaluation is known as effect. Music and visual presentations should create an effect unto themselves, triggering aesthetic responses to the intellectual and emotional design and performance. In essence, this is how we determine what is entertaining about a particular program. Effect captions are the most subjective to judge and yet there are established principles of design and performance practices which can determine what is effective.

Effect judges are looking at the actual design of the show, the peaks and valleys of excitement throughout, and how the performers make the show successful. Questions a judge might consider in judging effect are: Do all of the elements of visual and musical design reach an effective climax together? Are there a variety of effects in the show that display a wide array of human emotions? Does the pacing of the show vary, remain steady, or have lapses?

It is important to realize that it is not just the designers who control the effect but also the performers who bring the effects to life. The performers may be truly amazing musicians and superb marchers, yet they may have limited show material to work with. Eventually the effect wears thin. To be a good effect judge, one must have a depth of understanding of how shows are put together and how performers can not only interpret the design but also actually elevate its success.

In a nutshell, General Effect scores determine mostly the show itself, hence "The performers may be truly amazing musicians and superb marchers, yet they may have limited show material to work with. Eventually the effect wears thin."

And GE not only determines how well the show was designed, but also how well the performers made their show come to life.

General Effect is not scored on how well the crowd likes the show....although performances with low GE scores are reflected in how well the audience receives the show. But its not the other way around.

connecting with the crowd? huh? what?? :thumbup:

The way I see it, GE-music is how the music is connected to the visual, and GE-visual is how the visual is connected to the music.

:tongue:

connecting with the crowd? huh? what?? :tongue:

The way I see it, GE-music is how the music is connected to the visual, and GE-visual is how the visual is connected to the music.

The foot bone connected to the (clap) leg bone, The leg bone connected to the (clap) knee bone, The knee bone connected

to the......

:thumbup:

The foot bone connected to the (clap) leg bone, The leg bone connected to the (clap) knee bone, The knee bone connected

to the......

:thumbup:

Boywonder, can you post a link? I've searched up and down dci.org in the past and have never stumbled upon that. I really wish they would give a "judging clinic" to the general public and maybe have an online video that shows a judge comparing actual shows and explaining why 1 would score higher than another. Kind of like a football coach breaking down game film with his players.

The description above sounds great but I just don't see it in practice necessarily.

Here is the link to the DCI judging criteria...its suppsed to explain everything.

Remember, GE is VERY subjective.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d...ac-24b3dd384d25

Can't we just quit complaining about scoring, and just enjoy DCI?

I'm really getting tired of people pitching about the BD winning all the time, or Cadets using narration (not that I like it much) but come on, DCI is supposed to be entertaining! Its not a sport. Yes, its much more rigorous and physically demanding than most sports, but its entertainment. And I love it! I dont really care who wins, I just like to watch the fancy drills and leave with bleeding ears. Thats all I ask for. :thumbup:

Maybe we should do away with scoring then. Elimination of judges would definitely be an effective cost cutting measure.