Drum Corps and Religion

I remember a few times when we were given the opportunity to attend services in a variety of churches on tour. I always appreciated those times, even though I was not yet developed in my own faith.

It might be interesting for a corps to develop a relationship with an open-minded religious leader that the kids can connect to. Unitarian comes to mind, but there are plenty of others who could fit that bill.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, I am wondering, if it were possible (and I understand it was like this in the past for some corps), to have religious chaplains in the activity. What I mean is, could it be of some advantage to drum corps participants if there were chaplains available for members to talk to during the season?

Father Flannigan, the Scouts still have volunteer positions open for the remainder of the tour. How about signing up to volunteer for a few days or so, and you can test your theory while you're there?

Linda

Linda Slocum

Madison Scouts Volunteer Recruiting

Father Flannigan, the Scouts still have volunteer positions open for the remainder of the tour. How about signing up to volunteer for a few days or so, and you can test your theory while you're there?

Linda

Linda Slocum

Madison Scouts Volunteer Recruiting

Thanks for the offer Linda, but I'm taking summer courses-rats! I would have loved to join the corps though, thanks! Oh, and I'm not quite a priest yet either-three more years to go (out of eight). "Father Flannigan" was the name the Scouts gave me when I marched in 2004. Best of luck with the volunteer program!

On this subject...I've always wanted to see a show involving the power/wrath of God.

I'm not a show designer, but I think this could be a winner. O Fortuna from Carmina Burana would be the perfect close.

Anyway, my fandom doesn't get in the way of my faith.

Very cool topic! I haven't done drum corps (yet), and this has crossed my mind a few times... one reason why I thought about joining Pioneer. A chaplain-type figure would be cool to have around, I think. Someone like that to talk to, to see advice from (which isn't limited to only religious), and to confide in is good to have around.

I was a rook-out and a Christian-- i think that probably helped me stay on track and not be swayed one way or the other... other people went from not cussing to rarely having a sentence without a curse word-- my speech was the same before and after corps- that's just an example I guess... I think age has a lot to do with it- had I started marching at 18 instead of 21, I wonder if my faith/habits/etc might have been swayed-

-Cadets have had a priest on tour sporadically as recently as 1993. (When Kings Go Off To War). I chatted with him regarded my attempt to make homemade cassette recording of the corps at rehearsal.

-Our director at OLPH was an ordained priest.

-Corps members at church-sponsored corps were often called upon to partcipated in religious functions. I would stand in the balcony of O.L.C. and O.L.P.H. and play a short 5-stroke roll after each name during the reading of infirmed and recently departed parishioners as a part of Sunday masses.

-I also recall standing in uniform as part an honor guard at the "viewing" at funerals with OLPH, Kilties, etc.

-Also, one the major shows was the C.Y.O. (Catholic Youth Organizations)

OLC and other corps would also attend sevices in unison on Sundays before shows. There is a photo somewhere in the historical photos thread of a New England corps doing that.

There also tended to be regional religious, racial, national ancestry in many "local" community corps.(See names on corps rosters, etc.)

OLC-Polish, Catholic

OLPH-Irish, Catholic

Garfield-Italian, Polish

Cavies-Polish

Boston-Jewish,Italian

PS-This was not discriminatory recruitment. (merely a reflection of the local communities at the time)

To add a little to Bobby's post, Roman once said that the specifics of the religion were not the critical part, but the opportunity to take some time every week to stop and reflect peacefully was the object. Pioneer members come in all religious and non-religious types, so the attempt to find a place that is a) close to the housing, b) large enough to take a sudden influx of 150+ at a service, and c) is not intolerant of other's spiritual beliefs is not easy. There are churches (or at least pastors) on the "let's not do that one again" list (which does not officially exist so don't ask who they are), but you don't know what you may hit on the road -- kind of like restaurants, showers, etc. Spiritual growth, tolerance, learning something about a part of the community you are visiting -- not bad for becoming a better person.

That was my main concern. Exposing members to different churches/synagogues/etc isn't a bad thing as long as there's a mutual tolerance which, of course, many religious organizations lack.

My thought process is the same for a chaplain. If someone were trying to prosletize to me I'd be offended. But the chaplains I've encountered serve a purpose beyond quoting scripture. Most have some sort of counseling background which comes in handy, even for those of different beliefs. We've all heard of members who receive bad news on tour...some professional support is useful. And yes, if I were a corps director and a secular counselor wanted to join tour for a week or two, I'd happily welcome that as well!

Is it worth an additional salary? Probably not but if someone were willing to join the corps for a week or two on a volunteer basis, there's certainly no harm and I'd argue there's a benefit that makes his or her presence at least as worthwhile as another vis tech.

a corps chaplain is lamest thing Ive ever heard of...its not practical....corps dont even have a medic, why have something way far, down, down the priority list as a chaplain, taking up room on a coach, slurping up the food, etc? maybe he could be a souvie/fix it/ pit crew type of guy who calls himself "chaplain"...or "charlie"... :bluedevil:

Yeah I think youve made your viewpoint pretty clear now. The OPs question does not ask whether you believe or what you think of organized religion, but deals with a valid topic. I suppose you could contribute with how your own moral foundation, whereever it orginates from, has been affected by your corps experience if you really wanted to say something worthwhile.

I'm guessing one could talk a corps chaplain into helping wash dishes, line the field and assist with moving pit equipment.

They wouldn't just stand around all day saying, "Jesus, God, Heaven, Bible, bingo."

Actually, it would be awsome if the chaplain could run a mobile bingo game. It would help cover the cost of fuel.

Dave