Drum Corps and Religion

....this is a topic that has been of some interest to me since I first saw drum corps in 1998. I have often wondered what effect drum corps has on one's religion, especially for those who have marched drum corps. For instance, did drum corps help you to appreciate your faith background even more? Did it push you away from your faith? I know for myself that the lessons I learned in drum corps helped me to appreciate my faith even more (I must say, however, that I am some what biased seeing that I marched corps in the midst of my seminary formation). I can't help but see many ties between religion and the drum corps activity: regimented life-style (to some degree), respect for others (and the activity), perseverence, common bond (brotherhood/sisterhood), etc.

Lastly, I am wondering, if it were possible (and I understand it was like this in the past for some corps), to have religious chaplains in the activity. What I mean is, could it be of some advantage to drum corps participants if there were chaplains available for members to talk to during the season?

What are your thoughts.....?

Yes, as I have matured and grown I have found that I was less wise and learned as I thought I was, and that my secular formal education was oftentimes devoid of a spiritual component. I felt something in my life was missing. My wife was inspirational in bringing out the spiritual side of me, and slowly but surely I found myself moving toward a full appreciation of God's wonder and mysteries and his love and forgiveness, and that it has allowed me to focus more on others and on God, rather than an empty pursuit of happiness focused on just myself. I find that Drum Corps has attributes and life lessons that can serve one well later in life. Among these are time management skills, working together for a common goal, acceptance of others, diversity appreciation, healthy competition, pursuit of excellence, and so forth. Having a chaplain or minister, or Rabbi, etc available to a Corps certainly seems appropriate, as most athletic teams in most sports have available this resource to their members. the Military does as well. And when one is far from home and young, having a Chaplain for instance available can be a terrific resource. I think you have a wonderful idea Father. Finally, God Bless you in your travels and in your mission, Drum Corps or otherwise.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....this is a topic that has been of some interest to me since I first saw drum corps in 1998. I have often wondered what effect drum corps has on one's religion, especially for those who have marched drum corps. For instance, did drum corps help you to appreciate your faith background even more? Did it push you away from your faith? I know for myself that the lessons I learned in drum corps helped me to appreciate my faith even more (I must say, however, that I am some what biased seeing that I marched corps in the midst of my seminary formation). I can't help but see many ties between religion and the drum corps activity: regimented life-style (to some degree), respect for others (and the activity), perseverence, common bond (brotherhood/sisterhood), etc.

Lastly, I am wondering, if it were possible (and I understand it was like this in the past for some corps), to have religious chaplains in the activity. What I mean is, could it be of some advantage to drum corps participants if there were chaplains available for members to talk to during the season?

What are your thoughts.....?

Greetings:

It's great to hear that someone is interested in the concept of faith associated with corps life. As you can see by many of the responses that contain an obviously secular view, it is a rare concept in today's version of drum corps.

I can tell you from personal experience that where as today you do not see overt efforts to incorporate faith into the daily experience of corps, I have met countless young people that do come into corps life with a foundation of faith that is (or had been) a part of their regular/normal lives. I would hope that no one has asked them in one way or another to "check their faith at the door," but it is understandably difficult to find ways to take personal time for prayer or individual worship.

Mike is correct... Pioneer was founded in St. Patrick's Church of Milwaukee (Thus, the Imperials of St. Patrick history), and to this very day attends church on Sunday mornings whenever possible. It's amazing how this tradition has sustained itself over the decades, and particularly in society today, but attend they do, to include experiencing a variety of denominations over the years, however, most services attended are either Catholic or Lutheran. I have often wondered if the practice was more so for genuine observation of faith, or for the sake of tradition (and we all know how steep Pio/Roman is in tradition), but the opportunity is certainly made available to the members.

I applaude you for this discussion, and would certainly welcome a Corps Chaplain within the structure of an organization, but I'm one that still believes strongly that corps should exist for the total development of youth, mind, body and spirit. There's nothing wrong with that.. in fact I think that there is everything right about it... but the reality is that that time has passed. However, I guess it's appropriate to say "keep the faith" that it can be once again some day.

Blessings to you.

Bobby R. Lindsey

Former Director-2005

Pioneer Drum & Bugle Corps

Milwaukee, WI

Mike is correct... Pioneer was founded in St. Patrick's Church of Milwaukee (Thus, the Imperials of St. Patrick history), and to this very day attends church on Sunday mornings whenever possible. It's amazing how this tradition has sustained itself over the decades, and particularly in society today, but attend they do, to include experiencing a variety of denominations over the years, however, most services attended are either Catholic or Lutheran. I have often wondered if the practice was more so for genuine observation of faith, or for the sake of tradition (and we all know how steep Pio/Roman is in tradition), but the opportunity is certainly made available to the members.

Bobby, thanks for this response. I'm not sure of the religious affiliations of Pioneer members (then or now) but what if you're not Catholic? I guess that would be my only concern with the practice of attending Mass en masse. When you're the Imperials of St. Patrick or the Holy Name Cadets., etc., I suppose a member would know what s/he is getting into. But presumably those corps are not overtly affiliated with a church anymore...and is there a peer pressure to go along?

Corps definitely strengthed my faith and opened my eyes. I was able to be best friends with people that had completely different views than me but that was okay because we respected each others differences.

Chaplains are an excellent idea. Every corps should have at least one.

There was a grass roots effort by some of the Blue Stars membership a couple years ago to start a bible study group for the summer. Not sure if it took place or if it still does, just remember reading about it on the Blue Stars forum.

a corps chaplain is lamest thing Ive ever heard of...its not practical....corps dont even have a medic, why have something way far, down, down the priority list as a chaplain, taking up room on a coach, slurping up the food, etc? maybe he could be a souvie/fix it/ pit crew type of guy who calls himself "chaplain"...or "charlie"... :bluedevil:

I'm guessing one could talk a corps chaplain into helping wash dishes, line the field and assist with moving pit equipment.

They wouldn't just stand around all day saying, "Jesus, God, Heaven, Bible, bingo."

To add a little to Bobby's post, Roman once said that the specifics of the religion were not the critical part, but the opportunity to take some time every week to stop and reflect peacefully was the object. Pioneer members come in all religious and non-religious types, so the attempt to find a place that is a) close to the housing, b) large enough to take a sudden influx of 150+ at a service, and c) is not intolerant of other's spiritual beliefs is not easy. There are churches (or at least pastors) on the "let's not do that one again" list (which does not officially exist so don't ask who they are), but you don't know what you may hit on the road -- kind of like restaurants, showers, etc. Spiritual growth, tolerance, learning something about a part of the community you are visiting -- not bad for becoming a better person.

Interesting topic which I don't have time to explore at the moment but thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

I will note that one of my roommates in college aged-out with the Crossmen, attended seminary, was the Pastor of of a small Southern Baptist Church, officiated my wedding, earned a Ph.D, and now teaches at a seminary in South Dakota.

I'll bounce this thread by him because I'm sure he will be fascinated.

If members want them that would be wonderful!

However, I would hope that we could respect ALL beliefs and not just assume everyone was a Christian. There are members from all over the world in DC. There seem to be a lot of people from Asia. Would we then also need to have a religious representative of all the other non-Christian faiths as well? Perhaps a roaming budist temple? Maybe a Masque? This seems like a touchy topic to me. Personally, I wouldn't want to see that because religiion is a polarising topic at times and there may be some conflict.