A Simple Poll

Is drum corps "art"?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps "art"?

• Yes
    • No

I often think that some who insist that drum corps is a sport are more likely responding to the pedestal upon which society places sports in general. Since sports obviously maintains an elevated status within our society, and since most of us love this activity dearly, and since it does employ athletic principles, I think people want to insert drum corps into that "class" so as to lend more credibility to what we do. Noble, certainly, but misguided, IMO. And I'm a huge sports fan.

As I've said before, drum corps is athletic performance art. But it's not a sport.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As large as the margin is on this, I'm surprised that it's even as close as it is... I wonder if some people think of art as having a negative connotation...

When I look at shows, and see performers emotionally injecting themselves into lovingly crafted productions, I don't know how you could deny the artistry involved, even if there is competition involved.

Can't it be both an art and a sport simultaneaously?

I agree! I've read the posts from the "It's not art" side and I've thought about it and I'm baffled. While not every element is original, (music and such) to make it work on the field with instruments that aren't designed with the original piece in mind requires artistry, not to mention that the battery charts have to be completely written from scratch and in a musical way that adds to the original piece. This is absolutley PERFORMANCE ART. Performance Art in one of it's most creative and expressive forms.

edit for spelling

Edited by Perry S

It's a performing art. Plain and simple.

Let me make it even simpler.

Definition of performing arts

Dictionary

"arts, such as drama, dance, and music, that involve performance before an audience"

Pretty straight forward and describes exactly what drum corps is.

Also, it's takes tremendous amount of athleticism to dance, especially ballet. Is ballet a sport. Absolutety not. Let's not kid ourselves by calling drum corps a sport.

From Wikipedia

"The Performing arts include the dance, music, opera, theater, and circus arts.

Artists who participate in these arts in front of an audience are called performers, including actors, comedians, dancers, musicians, and singers. Performing arts are also supported by workers in related fields, such as songwriting and stagecraft.

Performers often adapt their appearance, such as with costumes and stage makeup, etc."

"In performance art, usually one or more people perform in front of an audience. In contrast to the traditional performing arts, performance art is unconventional. Performance artists often challenge the audience to think in new and unconventional ways about theater and performing, break conventions of traditional performing arts, and break down conventional ideas about "what art is," similar to the postmodern art movement. "

Again, this is placing drum corps squarely as a performing art. There are elements of sports in a performing art, but that in itself does not make it a sport.

Dictionary

"arts, such as drama, dance, and music, that involve performance before an audience"

Also, it's takes tremendous amount of athleticism to dance, especially ballet. Is ballet a sport. Absolutety not. Let's not kid ourselves by calling drum corps a sport.

From Wikipedia

Artists who participate in these arts in front of an audience are called performers, including actors, comedians, dancers, musicians, and singers. Performing arts are also supported by workers in related fields, such as songwriting and stagecraft.

Performers often adapt their appearance, such as with costumes and stage makeup, etc."

"In performance art, usually one or more people perform in front of an audience. In contrast to the traditional performing arts, performance art is unconventional. Performance artists often challenge the audience to think in new and unconventional ways about theater and performing, break conventions of traditional performing arts, and break down conventional ideas about "what art is," similar to the postmodern art movement. "

Again, this is placing drum corps squarely as a performing art. There are elements of sports in a performing art, but that in itself does not make it a sport.

:thumbup:

I often think that some who insist that drum corps is a sport are more likely responding to the pedestal upon which society places sports in general. Since sports obviously maintains an elevated status within our society, and since most of us love this activity dearly, and since it does employ athletic principles, I think people want to insert drum corps into that "class" so as to lend more credibility to what we do. Noble, certainly, but misguided, IMO. And I'm a huge sports fan.

I totally agree with this!! Society also wants to put cheerleading in the sports category.

Dictionary

From Wikipedia

Excellent Post!! :ph34r:

Edited by gbell211

Excellent Post!! :ph34r:

And yet the NO #s in the poll gained a couple more.

I agree that clearly, by any definition, drum corps is an art. In fact, it is encompasses theatre, dance, music and the visual arts. How much more artistic could it (or any other performance art form) be??

What confuses me is why some of you think that art and sport are mutually exclusive? Why?

Anyway, the definition of "sport" contains the following entries, all of which apply to drum corps;

*Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

*An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

*An active pastime; recreation.

Anyone care to argue that drum corps isn't a physical activity governed by a set of rules engaged in competitively?

I didn't think so.

Without question, and by very definition, drum corps is both an art and a sport.

I don't think sports and art are necessarily mutually exclusive. However, I also don't define either category by its dictionary definition. This is a debate probably better suited for elsewhere, but when I look at what you've posted as a "definition" for sports (and I don't know where you got them) I see that as casting far too wide of a net to be accurate. "An active pastime; recreation." Really? Tiddlywinks probably falls into that category, yet I don't view that as a sport either. What about auto racing? Golf? Billiards? There is endless debate about whether these activities (and others) should be considered sport. For me personally there is a difference between activity and sport, and "athleticism" isn't the qualifying criterion between them. But that's just me.

But this is a thread about drum corps and art.

I want to ask Hoppy if graffiti is art.........

Because that's what he does to drum corps.