A Simple Poll

Is drum corps "art"?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps "art"?

• Yes
    • No

I said it wasn't art, but I believe it is artistic.

Not sure I follow... could you clarify?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sport like figure skating is also an art because it relies on artistic qualities.

Drum corps, like figure skating, is judged both objectively (what the skater/corps is accomplishing) and subjectively (the artistry of the presentation.)

While drum corps is judged on various demands that require a great deal of athleticism (the sport element), it is also judged in its effectiveness (GE) which naturally means it's ALSO an art.

In the case of drum corps, art and sport are not mutually exclusive.

Drum corps as a sport without any artistry would be boring to hear (and in the case of drill and choreography, boring to watch).

Drum corps as an art without any athletic demands would be boring to watch.

We get "oooooos" and "ahhhhhs" from observing both the sport and the art elements.

It's like Certs, the "two breath mints in one."

And of that, I'm "Cert-ain."

Edited by Michael Boo

Not sure I follow... could you clarify?

I am saying that I wouldn't call the activity of drum corps an art, but it is an activity that uses artistic qualities. Maybe it's a fine line, maybe it's just semantics. It's just the way it sits in my mind.

It's art. But just as with visual art, where you need to separate the Whistlers from the Velvet Elvises, there is an enormous spread in the quality, and maybe moreso in the artistic element of the various offerings.

Fortunately we have DCP to inform our tastes!!!

It's art. But just as with visual art, where you need to separate the Whistlers from the Velvet Elvises, there is an enormous spread in the quality, and maybe moreso in the artistic element of the various offerings.

Fortunately we have DCP to inform our tastes!!!

There's only one Whistler's Mother. (Or do you prefer it's real title, "Arrangement in Grey and Black"?)

But there are millions of velvet Elvis paintings/canvases/lithographs/reproductions.

Score: Whistler - 1, velvet Elvis whatevers - unfathomable.

And you've got to go to Paris to enjoy the Whistler. Do you have to go anywhere special to enjoy a velvet Elvis? Maybe the intersection in front of the used car lot where someone has their table set up. How democratic! Everyone can own a velvet Elvis. Not THAT'S what art is all about. None of this, "It's not art if someone else has one." That's just snobbery.

Oh my goodness how we try to put this activity up on a pedestal...

I love this activity, but NO, it is not art. It is just like marching band. Don't believe me? Pop in a finals dvd and ask any non-drumcorps person what it is. I guarantee you, they will say "It's some sort of marching band...." It is just a bunch of people marching/dancing (singing in some cases) around on a football field and playing instruments. That is all. (and I love it!)

It's a performing art. Plain and simple.

Amen to that!! :thumbup: Please don't over analyze it and make it into something that it's not.

Oh my goodness how we try to put this activity up on a pedestal...

I love this activity, but NO, it is not art. It is just like marching band. Don't believe me? Pop in a finals dvd and ask any non-drumcorps person what it is. I guarantee you, they will say "It's some sort of marching band...." It is just a bunch of people marching/dancing (singing in some cases) around on a football field and playing instruments. That is all. (and I love it!)

Oh how you put the word ART on a pedestal...

Its not ballet or oil on canvas or a great play... and even those have physical elements in them that require much muscle conditioning as well as mental. Drum corps is an art. I think if it wasn't on a football field it'd be a little more obvious. I thought the whole playing instruments part would be enough... its music and movement and movement within movement and form and shape and color. It tells a story. It expresses emotion, and inspires emotion. Its not a ball going in a hole, its not a race to the finishline, its not hitting the bullseye, and its not beating the crap out of the opponent until they lay motionless on the floor....though one could even find art in those practices as well.

I really have trouble finding where the "sport" part of this activity comes in to play, other than being judged and winning points...

Oh how you put the word ART on a pedestal...

I really have trouble finding where the "sport" part of this activity comes in to play, other than being judged and winning points...

Yeah, I'm also puzzled about the sport part. :thumbup: Let's enjoy this activity for what it is.

It's a performing art. Plain and simple.
Absolutely correct. Drum corps is performance art. However, it is quite definitely NOT a sport. Unless of course you consider bear hunting a sport.