Spinning Bass Drums

Spinnin' bass drums are nothin' compared to what I saw the '80-'81 Independence High School (MBA Nat'l Champs - from San Jose, CA) bass line did.

As they begin the cadence for the band exiting the field, they roll over onto their heads and continue to play, completely upside down. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Has any DCI corps ever done that? I've never seen it. :thumbup:

I know I've seen someone else to that but it was part of their show. But it may be another high school as well. I'm thinking maybe Hoover HS (Fresno, CA) back in the mid 80s.

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets bass drummer did it a few years ago.

Genius.

Then I think people would really understand.

Understand what exactly? The majority of posts in other threads about the Blue Devils' show have labeled it as fun, enjoyable, and a fresh new direction for Blue Devils. I honesly haven't seen many people try to label it as "something NO ONE has ever done before," though as long as they were referring to the DCI-level, they would have been correct. You seem to be trying to disprove something that no one else is really trying to prove to begin with. All you're really doing is betraying an extreme bias against anything the Blue Devils are doing.

Frankly, most things corps do these days are direct rip-offs of something SOMEONE else has done before. And that's understandable; most of the instructors, techs, and show designers work with organizations that participate in WGI and BOA and other circuits where the restrictions on instrumentation and programming have been lax for far longer than in DCI. Thus, they got a chance to use these ideas in other venues first to see what they liked/disliked about them, then took them to the DCI-level.

However, I don't watch BOA or WGI. I have no child who participates in those activities and thus no immediate draw to them. So when I see what the Blue Devils are doing, it's new to me. It doesn't matter if its been done before by someone else. Unless the Blue Devils are trying to portray themselves as the only ones who have ever done this, why is it so vital that everyone know everyone else who did it before them??

Understand what exactly? The majority of posts in other threads about the Blue Devils' show have labeled it as fun, enjoyable, and a fresh new direction for Blue Devils. I honesly haven't seen many people try to label it as "something NO ONE has ever done before," though as long as they were referring to the DCI-level, they would have been correct. You seem to be trying to disprove something that no one else is really trying to prove to begin with. All you're really doing is betraying an extreme bias against anything the Blue Devils are doing.

Frankly, most things corps do these days are direct rip-offs of something SOMEONE else has done before. And that's understandable; most of the instructors, techs, and show designers work with organizations that participate in WGI and BOA and other circuits where the restrictions on instrumentation and programming have been lax for far longer than in DCI. Thus, they got a chance to use these ideas in other venues first to see what they liked/disliked about them, then took them to the DCI-level.

However, I don't watch BOA or WGI. I have no child who participates in those activities and thus no immediate draw to them. So when I see what the Blue Devils are doing, it's new to me. It doesn't matter if its been done before by someone else. Unless the Blue Devils are trying to portray themselves as the only ones who have ever done this, why is it so vital that everyone know everyone else who did it before them??

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::thumbup::thumbup:

Have not seen it yet...

I'd really like to...

reminds me of Amaichi 2006 tenors...

Thead over. Pags wins.

I recall seeing a spinning harness in an old Ludwig or Slingerland Catalog, back in the mid-late 60's, I think. It had some kind of swivel or ball bearing mount that bolted on to the drum. Give it a push, and there she goes! I think it was on the page somewhere near the "hi-stepper" harness, or the little wheelie cart that was designed to roll a Purdue style "World's Biggest Drum" on to the field. Showmanship, 60's bando style - is that where the activity is headed? (tongue-in-cheek, or not - whatever suits your taste!)

all in good fun,

Fred O.

Flat Jacks!

the bass racks were modified by 2coolpercussion, i believe, but these were not used by united. northcoast academy used them in 2008 in wgi.