Teal Sound Theft on Tour

This is horrible.

Having been on tour with different size corps, I know cash is always on hand.

I don't know the structural situation at Teal, but sometimes, cash is given out to the tour manager or food manager. Most corps will try to buy food for a long amount of time and only go shopping for milk and bread on a daily basis, so I could see them having cash on hand especially if they were about to make a big shopping trip.

If the corps director or organization director is not on tour, a debit card isn't given to the admin staff on tour because of security reasons. Because of turn-over yearly, it doesn't make a lot of sense to change pin numbers every year. Plus, it has been my experience that some money managers feel like cash is easier to control the budget.

Again, I don't know what Teal's situation is, but they might only have just enough money to get through the tour, which means, they have to keep a tight budget. I have been shopping with the "cook moms" who want to get all kinds of food for the kids - but the budget doesn't always allow for that, so the money person might only give them a couple hundred bucks to keep them in budget.

Again, just my 2 cents...

Good luck Teal Sound!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think someone stole two weeks worth of food for an almost full corps. You would need a truck for that. I'm sure they had money stashed for food purchases and fuel purchases. Maybe not the whole amount for two weeks, but enough to put a dent in the tour budget.

bump

Donated!

Not a good situation at all. Two weeks of food at the size Teal Sound is can run up to $90,000, if not more.... this and gas money is a monstrous amount!!

All any who can, please help!

Donated!

Not a good situation at all. Two weeks of food at the size Teal Sound is can run up to $90,000, if not more.... this and gas money is a monstrous amount!!

All any who can, please help!

$90 grand? That's some GOOD EATIN'! Like nearly $6500 a day for food. I think that perhaps the decimal point on your very special calculator may be in the wrong place.

Not cool. I'm gonna try to send money this weekend but I'm near broke

$90 grand? That's some GOOD EATIN'! Like nearly $6500 a day for food. I think that perhaps the decimal point on your very special calculator may be in the wrong place.

Good point.... regardless this is not a good situation! This is a great organization and with help from others they will be fine!!

might be an over exaggeration

135 member corps + staff + (roughly) 4 meals per day in a 2-week time period (with price fluctuating depending on meal/day/location) and also counting in (or not?) the price of filling up a full corps caravan in the same time period...

I can't imagine what is going through the staffs' mind right now... YIKES!!

OK...first off, let me preface this by saying that the most important thing right now is to make sure the kids are taken care of, and that everything needs to be done to ensure that happens!

HOWEVER...I find it strange, and somewhat disturbing, that such a large sum of cash was being carried instead of using credit/debit cards. Having petty cash is one thing, a huge sum that would support both food and fuel for two weeks is another. And, that it was in a location that was accessible to strangers within the community at-large raises another red flag.

I am also curious as to the circumstances that led to the theft. While I'm willing to join the drum corps world in sending a donation, my confidence is not strong with regards to their choices on how to keep that money safe.

While I'm sure that many of the DCP universe are going to flame me for this, it's still a legitimate concern that the folks at Teal are going to have address.

In the meantime, I truly wish the best for those kids and hope/pray that they finish the season strong!