Your favorite moments from Southwind over the years

Even though they aren't on the field this year, I thought we should remember all the wonderful moments from Southwind over the years.

I remember the first time I really noticed them, was in 1999 when they did When Johnny Comes Marching Home(I don't know if this is actually the title, but I think those are the words to the chorus). I remember the really cool drill, and I thought, this corps really seems like it is getting better(I could also be wrong, but I think they may have taken off the year before that?)

And although they had their highest placement in 2000, and I really enjoyed that show, I think my all time favorite was when they first started intertwining different melodies together. I think the piece was called The Wind and the Lion(I know it is the same song Magic used in 2002-can't remember exact title right now). I absolutely loved the arrangements that year(2005 I think). What a cool show that was. 2006 was also a cool year, if I remember right that is the year they had the 2 different uniforms. I know other bands and corps have done that over the years, but that show was great as well. Even though those weren't 2 of the highest placing shows, I thought there was some fantastic arranging, and some really nice drill. Definitely some stylings I haven't heard from any other corps.

Never seen em live, seen recordings of 2005 and 2000. Both are ridiculously good.

I remember 2005 in particular because that was a year in which a lot of corps were experimenting with narration and such. Southwind really stood out that year because it was just "good-ol-fashioned drum corps"...and a huge repertoire to boot. The slow motion movement reminiscent of Cadets 89 was too cool.

My daughter was a "rook-out" with Southwind last year. Even though they were not a top corp she enjoyed the corp experience and would have returned this year had she been eligible. She had been involved with guard starting in 7th grade, through high school and college. She was thrilled to be able to "age out" in the Rose Bowl in California. It's sad that Southwind was not able to put a corp on the road this summer. I'm afraid that this may be the future of several corps in the future with the price of fuel and food.

Making semi's for the first time in corps history in 1995. That was such a great feeling to find out we had advanced to the next day! That was one happy drumcorps :blink:

2005, Distorted Imagination (my son's first year marching with the yellow team). We called it the Oompah Loompah. What a fun show to watch and he had a blast marching it!

BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1994 maybe?

I really liked the "Duality" show from '06. The closer was great. 2000 was another great show, so close to making Finals too.

When i was 16, I saw drum corps for the first time (1992) and they did a KILLER Robin Hood "Prince Of Thieves" show. One of my favorites to this day.

They were called "A-60" corps back then i think... i forget how it worked. Its what later became "Div 2" and eventually "Open Class". In other words, they were smaller. lol

but that was my fav southwind.

tony

I have the APD's of the '05, '06, and '07 shows.

Also I love my recording of "Legends of the Fall" from the 2000 season.