San Antonio Review

DCI San Antonio Review

Well, I just got back from another great DCI San Antonio Show. This is always my 2nd favorite weekend of the Drum Corps Season – only behind Finals week. I did not do a review for Dallas, so I may just mix a few thoughts from Thursday night into this review as well. To make it simple, I’m just going to write one review for the whole day, both Prelims & Finals. I missed Revolution, so apologies for not being able to cover them.

The Academy opened the World Class competition in nice style. Vienna Nights is an ambitious show – perhaps too ambitious for the corps this season. They still have almost 3 weeks to clean, so we will have to see what they can do with this show. The vehicle does have potential. There are some nice moments set up in Waltz sections. There are times, though, where the music get’s too dissonant & muddled for my taste – but that could be in part due to execution. The strength of the show is the music performance, though there is plenty of room to improve there. Body carriage impacts the sound too often, and difficult musical phrases aren’t always clear. Visually, the corps has a lot of work to do, though I thought the guard design was a step up from last season. This was my first read on this show, so I’m looking forward to seeing them again in Allentown.

Pioneer is a corps you have to admire just for their perseverance. I’m sure they know, with their size & youth that they are a virtual lock for 20th, but the kids are continuing to push and the show continues to improve. I thought they were much stronger today than in Dallas. While I’m still tired of the Irish or Celtic themes, this is one of the better music books I’ve heard from Pioneer. Some nice, enjoyable moments produced on the field Saturday.

Mandarins are another corps I admire for similar reasons to Pioneer – though they are clearly a step up from Pioneer in size, age & show design – they aren’t going to make too much noise in open class this year. However, as always, this corps really works hard to max out their performance by August, and they are clearly intent on doing that again. I like this show, and the ballad in particular has some nice moments that sell the River theme well. This is not one of my favorite Mandarins shows though. It’s just missing that usual Mandarins intensity, as well as those usually terrific Asian-tinged drum breaks. They put out some nice power for a corps their size, though.

Pacific Crest was show that I was looking forward to seeing Saturday, but not for the usual reasons. In Dallas, Thursday, I did not like this show at all, despite the hype I’d heard about how entertaining they were. I will say they were stronger on Saturday (I’m sure enjoying the break from the heat in the air-conditioned AlamoDome). I still just don’t like this show, though. The kids clearly have some talent – and I appreciate what they accomplish with limited rehearsal time. It’s the show design that holds them back. The music is too dissonant in too many places, with a limited range in emotion & connection to the audience. Visually, the drill has some nice moments – but way too many other places where they form boxes – quite repetitively. The corps uniform is just begging for some color too. All in all, they are in the group with Blue Knights & Spirit to me this year as the bottom tier of show designs this summer. It’s not the kids – they just deserve a better product.

Troopers are a corps I just love this summer. It’s terrific to see them stronger than they have been in years. The Iron Horse Express is a perfect vehicle for them. It allows them to stay true to their roots while putting modern twists on things – and package it all with a them that is, easy to communicate, allows for creative sounds, and is a treat for the crowd. Just what a drum corps show should be. The corps is still on the younger side, but I tell you what – they are closer to Finalist caliber than they have been since maybe the mid 90s when they rose up to 14th. The train theme is sold so well, from great visuals in the hornline to a great percussion score. The sunburst is terrific this year, as well. It’s great to see the guard expanding (they had up to 18 members worked into the show at different points). For those that haven’t seen Troopers this summer – don’t miss them. You’re in for a terrific surprise. Youth & a lack of experience may keep them from doing much more damage than they already are this summer, but if they can keep these kids coming back, look out.

Spirit put on a respectable show Saturday, anchored by their terrific drum line. It’s a shame the corps is hamstrung by one of the most lackluster music books & show designs I’ve seen in several years. The music just doesn’t connect well in too many places in the show. It’s an exercise to an extent to stay fully engaged. I understand the theme, but the four guard members who spend the vast majority of the show in the corners doing next to nothing have just an awful role to play this summer. The effort to move them around the sidelines of the field also just reeks of a cheap imitation of the brilliant & fresh “Moto” from SCV’s show 2 years ago. This corps desperately needs a new direction, as well as better marching instruction.

Colts have gotten so much stronger since Illinois in June! (as you would expect, I suppose). This is just a good solid drum corps show. It’s loud, in your face (perhaps a bit too much), and performed with nice intensity & consistency. I’m just not sure there is enough depth in this show to let them stay in Finals. The vehicle is a bit too predictable and formulaic, as others have said. I’d also like to see more range in the music book. The guard adds nicely to the show – though the yellow dresses/skirts at the end are just not attractive. Don’t get me wrong, though -- I really, like this show! It’s just a very good year for the top 16 or so…

Madison Scouts have made incredible strides this summer – and are knocking on the door to regain top 12 status. I don’t think any corps has made more progress from June than Scouts. The first 8 minutes or so of their show are very solid – perhaps top 10 quality. You can even “feel” Madison at times, with intensity and passion. The music continues to sell better & better as the members gain confidence. The corps marches better – with significant demand – than most around them in the standings as well. After the guard makes a nice, strong opening statement, they still have plenty of work to do in the rest of the show if they want to make finals – it’s a big differentiator between them & Crossmen right now – both in design, execution & impacts to the overall Visual Effect. Unfortunately, the last 2-3 minutes (from drum break to the end) are a difficult Achilles heel to overcome with 3 weeks to go. It’s just such a huge letdown after the show has sold so well for the first 8 minutes. And they may win the award for the most pointless drum break drill ever. I have my fingers crossed for Madison – but there may just not be room for them to break into the top 12. It’s going to be a very close call with Crossmen all the way until Bloomington, I think.

Crossmen are a pleasant surprise for me this year. The visual design & particularly the color guard are powering the show right now. There are some absolutely terrific unison flag statements in this show. The show is big, bold & flashy. A nice fit for Crossmen. They are marching a pretty difficult drill – though they have a TON of work to do in cleaning up drill & individual marching technique if they want to make their spot in finals secure. The music book is a bit hit or miss for me. There are some nice, inspired moments like the “What a Wonderful World” section, and others where the re-writes on Planets are a bit much for me. They do not have the power of most of the hornlines (yet, at least) around them in the standings yet, either. I believe it’s in Crossmen’s hands though – they can easily make Finals this year by continue to work on marching & brass power. Go Bones!

Glassmen continue to refine and improve their Karnival Show. The horn line seems to be bucking their trend in recent years by continuing to get stronger as the season moves into its later stages. They sound more mature, confident and strong this summer – putting out some nice sounds with very solid power at times. The music book is not one of my favorites, as there aren’t enough highlights to remember other than the “Watermark” section, but it works well for the show. The guard is doing a terrific job of selling the show, and the unison flag statements in the closer are pretty spectacular. No one’s knocking G-men out of Finals this year, I believe.

Blue Stars also continue to make strides with their “Le Tour” show. This is probably one of my top 5 favorite music books of the summer. Just some beautiful moments in the show with the music they are playing. I love the ballad – ranks right up there near those in Regiment & Crown’s shows this summer. The cycling theme is being sold well by the guard, and as they continue to develop the nuances, it is starting to feel less forced or cheesy. This is a show best viewed from the upper deck, I believe. They can threaten for a single digit finish in August if they continue to tighten things up. A clear lock for Finals.

Boston Crusaders – this was a corps I couldn’t wait to see after all the hype on this site this summer. The show is indeed quite exciting. Some nice driving music sells the show well. The drill seems aggressive and has quite a bit of demand – but I will say from the upper deck, the demand isn’t rewarded with effect. Perhaps it’s the density or lack of variety in forms, I’m not sure. I can see why Marie C. so rightfully knocked them down in Visual GE, though. The design is just not imaginative or communicative visually. They are the anti-Blue Knights. Great music, lacking visually, IMO. The brass line also sounded very bright compared to Glassmen, Blue Stars & Blue Knights. I could see Boston finishing anywhere between 8th and 10th this season.

Blue Knights are a hard corps for me to watch this year, which pains me to say. I’ve now seen the show 5 times now. First time I ever remember leaving before the last corps marched at prelims, but I knew I’d see them in the evening, and I couldn’t bear to watch it twice yesterday. It’s certainly not the kids fault. They have some terrific talent. The horn line has a nice dark, rich sound. The guard has some nice impacts, as does the drumline. The visual design is interesting & creative. The music book may just be the worst in this decade, though. It just doesn’t go anywhere. It’s like Star’s 1993 book in terms of minimalism, but without the emotion or payoff. Let me be clear – BK was one of my 3 or 4 favorite corps each of the last 2 summers – I loved their dark classical music shows in 2006 and 2007. This show has none of that depth musically. Even Amazing Grace isn’t half of what it could be. Luckily for the design team – these kids have too much talent to keep this corps from falling likely out of the 8th to 9th place range. I don’t want to see BK abandon the approach they’ve used the last few years next summer – I just want them to find more music with the depth & emotions of their 2006 and 2007 shows.

It was a bit shocking to hear Vanguard called out in 7th tonight. The top 7 are just once again, incredibly good. I certainly don’t think they are locked into 7th. I could see them easily rising to at least 5th by next month. This is a really good show, with some classic Vanguard moments. I think the opener is my favorite part of the show. I love the energy from the guard, the subtle, but driving music, and the drill in the opener. The “body” middle section of the show is good stuff as well. The closer is coming along, and the new drill is much better, but it’s still a let down after the first 2/3s of the show. Perhaps that will change as the performers get more comfortable with the re-writes. We’ll see. I think they will definitely pass Bluecoats. To go higher, they have their work cut out for them. I love the show, though, and can’t wait to see them again.

Bluecoats show has grown on me quite a bit since last seeing them in Illinois. I still think the boxer theme is a stretch (I’m in the minority on that one, I think), but they are selling it well, and the show is very fun. Marching has improved dramatically since June. The drill is sub-par, though, compared to the rest of the top 7, apart from some nice staging moments, particularly with the boxing rings. The narration has improved, and only in the middle part of the show does it become too much – though I will forever stay old school & wish there were none in drum corps.

The Cadets have done some nice things with their show since June. The narration is improved, but to me is still the Achilles Heel of the show. When you look at all the amazing creativity in the top 7 this year, you just have to wonder how Cadets can be at the bottom of the creativity scale, and have to stoop to trying to tell their story primarily through narrative lines. It’s a shame, because this corps is #### good – though I don’t think the guard is up to the usual gold standard set by Cadets for much of the past 20 years. I will say the ending is vastly improved. The opening narration is now IN the show instead of the pre-show, and I actually like the quotes from our Founding Fathers on the Pursuit of Happiness – though the smiley face flag being worked in solo during that statement, to me, is just a slap in the face to the profound vision our Founding Fathers had for our country. It’s just tacky. I will say this product is better than 2006 and 2007. I just wish Cadets would get back to wowing us with brass, drums & percussion and excite our imagination through music & visuals. They are clearly oozing with talent. No arguments here with them being in fifth. They better watch out for Vanguard. They are clearly better than SCV right now – but they could be caught if Vanguard cleans the hell out of their show.

While I’m sure you all know my bias towards Phantom Regiment, I was very unsure of where they would fall tonight in comparison to both Cavies AND Crown tonight. Those 3 are so evenly matched right now – each with different strengths and weaknesses. I can’t argue with Regiment’s 4th place last night. At the same time, I can easily see them finishing 2nd in Bloomington & being a legitimate dark horse for the top spot. This is one of my favorite Phantom Regiment shows – right up there with 89, 93, 96, 03, and 06. In fact, I think they’ve already surpassed Faust. This show is just a lurking monster of emotion. They won music last night – and deservedly show. The brass & drum lines are at the peak of the activity right now in my opinion. The music book is scintillating – though I wish they had just a touch more subtle& softer moments of beauty. I guess that was a hard fit with the theme & show, though. The ballad is a gorgeous highlight. The two big weaknesses in this show to me are the ending (which I’m sure is coming) and the gap between Regiment’s very good guard & the great guards in the rest of the top 4 – lots of cleaning to do there. I don’t think they are getting quite enough credit for their marching though. They are marching perhaps their best since the 90s. This show is to me what drum corps of old is all about – breathtaking, pulse pounding & exciting – yet brought to us in a very modern & theatrical way.

Carolina Crown was indeed equally spectacular to Regiment last night. This horn line is growing by leaps and bounds. The show is just a joy to listen to. The Claire De Lune ballad is growing into a classic moment of brass beauty. Just gorgeous. I love hearing a talented horn line that can have a rich, dark sound with every voice in the line – and Crown accomplishes that at both very soft and very powerful volumes. I think they may be holding back on the power just a bit right now though – and with 80 horns, I hope they crank it up a bit more by Bloomington. The guard program is selling so much better now than in June. The “crazed conductor” touches are terrific & entertaining. The drumline is also growing in presence & strength – probably Crown’s best ever, though clearly behind PR, BD, Cavies & Bluecoats. Visually, I think the drill is effective, but not perhaps meaty enough to keep them in the top 3. Is this corps yet again – for the 6th year in a row starting in 2003 – one of my favorites of the year? Yes. Can they stay in top 3? Yes. Do I think they will? No. I believe Regiment will move back in front of them due to the depth of their show & the emotion I believe they will harness by Bloomington – but it’s far from guaranteed. I’m absolutely thrilled for Crown, though, too. Congrats to their kids, staff & volunteers for their first ever Top 3 finish in an “all-in” Major Regional.

Cavaliers have found another terrific show in 2008 that fits them like a glove. Samurai is at times dazzling – particularly visually. It’s odd that they are scoring better musically than visually. To every last one of my activity friends that I talk to, we all find their music book to be sorely lacking. They have a good brass line, they just don’t have nearly enough to play. The talent in this corps – and its visual design team, though, is just ridiculous. Packaged with the right ending, Cavies are not out of the running at all. The additions to the guard program are strong, and help draw out the Samurai theme further. Again, to me, it’s the music book that is Cavaliers’ weakness. It’s a bit too repetitive to Machine & other Saucedo originals and the fit to a Japanese style feels a bit forced – and there just isn’t enough “book” in the brass book for my taste. Still, don’t get me wrong. I love this show, too. What an incredible – and amazingly diverse - top 7 we have this summer, folks.

Blue Devils left absolutely no doubt who was winning tonight. They are so talented and confident. They have a demanding book – visually and musically, and they are performing the snot out of it. All the tiny theatrical details are a joy to discover the more times you watch the show, as well. I will say this, though, the pure awe I had at seeing this show the first time live in Denver has faded just a bit. I’d say the odds are Very strong that BD wins this season, but I continue to say that if Cavies beef up their music & unveil a dramatic close to the show, or Regiment uncorks the emotional potential to their show, and cleans up their guard, BD could still be vulnerable.

My only difference with placements tonight would have had the top four in this order: 1st - BD 2nd - TIE between PR & Crown, 4th- Cavies.

Wow. I can’t believe how long this ended up being. I guess you can tell I’m excited about the year, huh? Thanks to any of you that made it through all of this. See you in Allentown, then Bloomington!!!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

thanks for the review, Harvey. I also really enjoyed BK in 2006 and 2007 - depending on my mood, their show in 2006 is sometimes my favorite from that year - so I was sorry to read that you didn't care for their show this year. Hopefully they'll be at the top of their game when I see them in Bloomington, and maybe I'll end up liking it after all.

I'm with you there, Matt. I want to like them too. I tend to go for the underdog, as BK almost always seems to be with many. Just not hitting the bullseye this year with their music (at least, yet....)

Bud,

Another great review, thanks. I watched it on Fan Network here in NYC so I'm sure I'm not getting the impact, can't wait until Allentown! The top 12 (plus 2) seem very strong from top to bottom. I agree with your assessment from what 've observed that BD certainly are tops right now and either Cavies and PR have to get it together to pass them - I also agree that while a big jump from last year, in the end, I don't see the Crown product holding up with BD, PR or Cavies. In fact, the one suprise is Crown's visual numbers both performance and content.

Oh well, I'm sure the staffs have assessed the situation and are devising their respective strategies. Let's see what they come up with!

Best Regards,

Terry Maltbia - Bklyn NY

Hey, Terry! Always good to hear from you. As usual, I agree - although it's hard to underestimate what you lose on webcast vs live in terms of emotion & brass sound. Crown is stellar. I do agree that they will slide behind Phantom before all is said in done, most likely.

Allentown in 2 weeks! I can't wait! :)

Edited by TexasPRfan

OHHHHHHHHH HARVEY!!! You're such a great reviewer.

I hate you.

(good job)