The Ultimate Guide to the Atlanta Regional!

I'm staying over a couple days at my expense to see stuff. I'm renting a car and am planning on driving up to Chattanooga, as I've never seen Rock City/Ruby Falls/Lookout Mountain. I'll also stop at the Tennessee Aquarium, which I've heard has been expanded since I was last there several years ago.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Chattanooga? I've heard RC/RF/LM might be kind of lame, but I've wondered about them for years. I'm also thinking of driving over to Knoxville/Gatlinburg before I fly out of Atlanta Tuesday afternoon.

IMO if you are into natural beauty then RC/RF/LM are going to be amazing. the aquarium is impressive, but to be honest, I think the Georgia Aquarium beats it hands down.

Gatlinburg is.......nice. *shrugs*

what really interests you, Mike? it might help to guide you where to go/see.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO if you are into natural beauty then RC/RF/LM are going to be amazing. the aquarium is impressive, but to be honest, I think the Georgia Aquarium beats it hands down.

Natural beauty is always a plus. I'm also huge on architecture. I also like quaint stuff that I wouldn't see anywhere else, and down-home local eateries.

Natural beauty is always a plus. I'm also huge on architecture. I also like quaint stuff that I wouldn't see anywhere else, and down-home local eateries.

Charleston, SC, Savannah GA, and Biltmore Estates in Ashville, NC.

we won't know about performance times till friday correct? what about <top 8 corps? a good friend of mine is marching scouts and i'd like to be able to see him. I hope they make finals so they won't head out after their show...any info on times would be amazing! i can't wiat for my ears to be blown off...

First, thanks Chad for all the info. Even being from around here it was good.

One comment on the CNN Center for lunch. It's gets very very very crowded over there between the afternoon and evening shows (the break) due to all the HS band groups that attend. I usually find it's better to go eat dinner first there and then come back to search for souvies. Just my 2 cents. It is an easy walk to there and it's a food court setup.

And DEFINITELY have at least one person in your party grab a table first thing and then go take turns and get the food. Otherwise you'll be eating standing up or sitting on the floor. :tongue:

Charleston, SC, Savannah GA, and Biltmore Estates in Ashville, NC.

I did Savannah and Charleston last year after the Atlanta championship.

Haven't been to Asheville. Should I consider going there instead of Chattanooga?

Well, you're getting a better hotel price than me, but then again, we're at the Embassy Suites. Free parking, free awesome breakfast buffet and free "manager's reception" (a.k.a. booze) Friday night. Marta station just a couple miles away. Free parking there too.

That will make my first afternoon in Indy just that much better after flying into Indy on a Red eye.

I'm staying over a couple days at my expense to see stuff. I'm renting a car and am planning on driving up to Chattanooga, as I've never seen Rock City/Ruby Falls/Lookout Mountain. I'll also stop at the Tennessee Aquarium, which I've heard has been expanded since I was last there several years ago.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Chattanooga? I've heard RC/RF/LM might be kind of lame, but I've wondered about them for years. I'm also thinking of driving over to Knoxville/Gatlinburg before I fly out of Atlanta Tuesday afternoon.

Your best bet is going straight through to the Smokies. There's nothing wrong with Knoxville

, it's just nothing extremely special. The mountains have lots more stuff, you just have to look past all the go kart tracks and those massive shops you normally see at the beach (unless go karts are your thing :tongue: ).

I did Savannah and Charleston last year after the Atlanta championship.

Haven't been to Asheville. Should I consider going there instead of Chattanooga?

Admittedly there may be more to see/do in Chat than Ashville. the Biltmore is very impressive though, and the mountains are spectacular especially if you come south towards Greenville and take in Caesar's Head state park with its observation deck and 30+ mile view, and if you are lucky enough to find Pretty Place, an open air chapel that sits on a 300 foot rock cliff - they have Easter Sunday services there as the sun rises in the horizon across the valley. Very inspiring.

Ashville itself is becoming a southern Bohemian artist community, if that is your bag.

I really enjoyed Ruby Falls, worth the visit.

Georgia Aquarium is spectacular and right near the dome

Also, while you're in Atlanta, Stone Mountain is pretty neat. You have the choice of taking a lift up, or hiking. Spectacular views.