Regrets... I have a few

Not being born years later, so that I could have auditioned for the Troopers.

I competed against the Troopers in junior corps and although my corps beat them the first time we met, a few years later they became a powerful drum corps, but auditioning and camps were unheard of back then.

Edited by dancingfrog

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being born years later so that I could audition for the Troopers.

I competed against the Troopers in junior corps and although my corps beat them the first time we met, a few years later they became a powerful drum corps but auditioning and camps were unheard of back then.

I blame your parents! :laughing:

Gee, why can't we have an All-Aged Troopers in Upstate, New York?!!!!

Or Southwestern Ontario? I mean, come on - you guys have more competing corps in NY State than we do in all of Canada right now!

I never marched however being a fan of drum corps I guess I believe that the real world doesn't always wait. While drum corps offers a lot of positive attributes, I also think it has its down side with having a future. I don't think it is as cut and dry as if your boyfriend/girlfriend can't let you go during 12 weeks in the summer - then they weren't right for you. While the drum corps member is doing his/her thing - the "friend" misses out on summer activities with the person they enjoy being with. Sure they can go to competitions but the member is so into his/her corps that it just isn't the same. If you march every summer and you are in a committed relationship with someone you really care about - how fair is that to the other person? Summer is the only downtime from college and school so if one is touring and the other isn't - then someone sacrifices. Just my opinion but I think there are some valid reasons not to march.

I am torn - we'll see what the future holds but I think it IS that cut and dry. If that "someone" is the right someone, they are darn sure going to have to put up with my love for this activity and my corps! Back on tour in '09 - I don't regret sitting this summer out as much as I thought I would because I am now prepared not to take my age-out for granted! There is always something to be had from any experience, good or bad. Drum corps taught me that.

Your first three words justify the rest of your answer, methinks.

I never marched however being a fan of drum corps I guess I believe that the real world doesn't always wait. While drum corps offers a lot of positive attributes, I also think it has its down side with having a future. I don't think it is as cut and dry as if your boyfriend/girlfriend can't let you go during 12 weeks in the summer - then they weren't right for you. While the drum corps member is doing his/her thing - the "friend" misses out on summer activities with the person they enjoy being with. Sure they can go to competitions but the member is so into his/her corps that it just isn't the same. If you march every summer and you are in a committed relationship with someone you really care about - how fair is that to the other person? Summer is the only downtime from college and school so if one is touring and the other isn't - then someone sacrifices. Just my opinion but I think there are some valid reasons not to march.

In the business world the most frequent compliments I get are my calmness under pressure, my ability to break an issue down to the most relevant points, and my problem solving skills. I learned all of these skills in a single summer under Scott Stewart with the madison scouts. It was hard getting that summer, I was a very poor starving college student, I paid my way through school, and drum corps was a financial disaster that resulted in my dropping out of school for a semester. My only regret was that I didn't somehow find a way to march the two years before, I had been offered the opportunity to join Madison each of those years and elected to work both times.

I wasn't in a committed relationship at the time i marched, in fact, one of the benefits of marching was going away and not thinking about a girl i was trying to get over for a whole summer (another was running into her a week after finals and seeing how disappointed she was when she realized i came back from tour feeling strong, happy, independent and completely unconcerned with her.....lol). but anyone who was close to me and felt invested in my future saw the changes that occurred in me from drum corps and felt it was well worth every sacrifice. the thing people who haven't marched drum corps don't get is that from the outside looking in the most important thing you do is put on a uniform and march a show, and the biggest thing you do all summer is march finals night and get a score and a dvd. but from the inside, the least important thing about drum corps is the 11 minutes a night you spend performing. the real importance is the people around you, the inner strength you find to push yourself to be as good as them, and the lessons learned and friendships you build. at 35 i still talk to my seat partner 3-4 times a week, i can still run 5 miles without collapsing, and i still have a basic set of problem solving skills that seperate me from the pack and make me a go-to guy at every business i've worked at. drum corps is worth it.

In the business world the most frequent compliments I get are my calmness under pressure, my ability to break an issue down to the most relevant points, and my problem solving skills. I learned all of these skills in a single summer under Scott Stewart with the madison scouts. It was hard getting that summer, I was a very poor starving college student, I paid my way through school, and drum corps was a financial disaster that resulted in my dropping out of school for a semester. My only regret was that I didn't somehow find a way to march the two years before, I had been offered the opportunity to join Madison each of those years and elected to work both times.

I wasn't in a committed relationship at the time i marched, in fact, one of the benefits of marching was going away and not thinking about a girl i was trying to get over for a whole summer (another was running into her a week after finals and seeing how disappointed she was when she realized i came back from tour feeling strong, happy, independent and completely unconcerned with her.....lol). but anyone who was close to me and felt invested in my future saw the changes that occurred in me from drum corps and felt it was well worth every sacrifice. the thing people who haven't marched drum corps don't get is that from the outside looking in the most important thing you do is put on a uniform and march a show, and the biggest thing you do all summer is march finals night and get a score and a dvd. but from the inside, the least important thing about drum corps is the 11 minutes a night you spend performing. the real importance is the people around you, the inner strength you find to push yourself to be as good as them, and the lessons learned and friendships you build. at 35 i still talk to my seat partner 3-4 times a week, i can still run 5 miles without collapsing, and i still have a basic set of problem solving skills that seperate me from the pack and make me a go-to guy at every business i've worked at. drum corps is worth it.

Thank you - I am beginning to have a better understanding. Drum corps appears to have been a good influence in your life.

Good post, thanks.

I spent two seasons with a short-lived Div. III corps. After it went inactive there were no more II/III corps in the area, and I didn't feel I was talented enough make a Division I corps, so I pretty much gave up on marching (or sitting - I'm a tympanist). It's been two years since my would-be age out year, and I really regret not trying out for some of the nearby Div. I corps. But it's not really over, yet -- hopefully there are some senior corps around looking for a mediocre tympanist (or an even worse mallet player)?

But I count my fortunate for the two years I did march. Like mad scotty, I took a lot from my brief drum corps experience. Hard work. Clear thinking.

Modesty . . .

the thing people who haven't marched drum corps don't get is that from the outside looking in the most important thing you do is put on a uniform and march a show, and the biggest thing you do all summer is march finals night and get a score and a dvd. but from the inside, the least important thing about drum corps is the 11 minutes a night you spend performing. the real importance is the people around you, the inner strength you find to push yourself to be as good as them, and the lessons learned and friendships you build. at 35 i still talk to my seat partner 3-4 times a week, i can still run 5 miles without collapsing, and i still have a basic set of problem solving skills that seperate me from the pack and make me a go-to guy at every business i've worked at. drum corps is worth it.

Spot on. Mind if I borrow this?