Regrets... I have a few

biggest regret is not marching till I aged out. Stopped after 27th folded and 86 could have marched till 91

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret that I lost the phone number of the very cute Garfield mello (HI, Nadia!!) after 84 finals....put it in my shako, then forgot to take it out before I turned my uniform in. She was from Boston, as I recall, and I ended up being stationed in New York a year later....alwaysw wonder what woud've happened had I not lost it.

Ah well....

One.

1987....I made upper lead soprano for Garfield Cadets. (Still one of the great shows)

I had friends that had marched in other corps but I was pretty naive. When a staff member seemed to be pawing at me and making unwanted passes, I never went back. Now that I am 42 years old, I know that I could have said no thanks and went on to be part of DCI history.

I've read all the stories on here. This is by far, the best DCP thread I've ever read.

But I wanted to tell you, of all the stories, yours touched me the most.

You are saying that now looking back, you could have said "no" and things would have been OK. With all due respect, you don't know that. Decisions could have been made that could have had disastrous effects on you for the rest of your life.

Look at what you do know. Somebody tried to molest you, and you had the courage to the tough thing, the right thing. Aids killed a lot of people back then. And look how wonderful your life has turned out.

I think you did the right thing at the right time in your life.

You have my respect.

No regrets.

I could have marched Crown this year, and been a part of the first ever Carolina Crown to beat the Cadets head to head and also win a regional against the Cadets.

Missed my chance at my age out/bonus year in '99!!! I was stuck with a Political Science course that I couldn't fit into my schedule at Texas Tech. Because I would have had to take an extra semester pf college just to take that one class I chose summer school over BK, big time ouch!!! Worse, I took the class first semester and then took a job to revamp a HS marching bands marching technique later that summer. BK came to Texas and I got offered a spot to march in a hole that had opened up. Having already made the commitment to that HS I could not wig out and I said no. Bigger Ouch!!!!! Of course BK had the first of two banner years that year, but oh well. My buddies got to be a part of that and that was cool enough for me to see!! :tongue:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I regret that I lost the phone number of the very cute Garfield mello (HI, Nadia!!) after 84 finals....put it in my shako, then forgot to take it out before I turned my uniform in. She was from Boston, as I recall, and I ended up being stationed in New York a year later....alwaysw wonder what woud've happened had I not lost it.

Ah well....

That my friend..........................................................................

.................... is a heart breaker!!!!

Edited by bedford

That my friend..........................................................................

.................... is a heart breaker!!!!

NO ####!!!

We met when we shared the housing site in Pt. Huron...don't remember exactly HOW....but we arrive to the bus yard on finals day...you guys are nearby...BOTH corps are in uni...I see Nadia, we hug each other....and the looks of flaming DEATH I got from the 83 BD vets....

Wonder how she's been....

I never marched however being a fan of drum corps I guess I believe that the real world doesn't always wait.

I will concede that there are rare circumstances where this is true (not that I can think of any at the top of my head), but I guess the point in my post is that the real world can wait 99% of the time. It will still be there when you've aged out. After you turn 22, the opportunity to experience drumcorps is gone forever (well, there's senior corps, but it's a completely different experience).

As far as boyfriends/girlfriends go, they have their entire lives to spend time together if they want. Being separated for 12 weeks should not be a problem. If it is a problem, then they obviously aren't that committed.

I don't mean to kick a dead horse or sound cliche when I say it's difficult to understand for those who have not marched. But what you gain in those 12 weeks is a 128 member family (in my days it was 128 - what is it now 150?). And I don't use the word "family" lightly. The people that I marched with I consider my brothers and sisters.

Just as an example to try to describe it - I have a group of about 10 friends at work who we all joined the company at about the same time in the early to mid 90's. We have seen each other essentially every day for 15 years. We eat lunch together, we hang out on weekends together, we vacation together. We are about as close as you can imagine people who aren't married can be. Yet I feel closer to the drumcorps friends I made in 12 weeks over 15 years ago. We just share a unique bond ("we band of brothers") that everyone who marches understands and those who haven't don't.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that marches with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen not marching

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That marched with us upon Finals day.

Shakespeare gets it. :tongue:

Edited by bartyount

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that marches with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen not marching

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That marched with us upon Finals day.

NICELY done.....but are you doing hte Olivier or Brannaugh version??? :tongue:

Made the '99 Colts on Contra and ended up bailing on them, not entirely sure why. Then, spent the next two years playing video games and doing god knows what instead of marching. Only marched one year when I could have done four, still kicking myself.