Judging the judges - Quantifying possible bias

I'm sure many will scoff at this after all DCI judges are no doubt the most honest people in the world, but clearly there is an informal mechanism in DCI for deciding who gets to keep their gig and who doesnt. My sources tell me if you dont mark the biggies like they want to be scored, you dont last.

I would be very interested in knowing whether anyone has ever thought to put together statistical information on each judge which in retrospect might be able to point to an individuals tendencies and biases (or lack of them) Specifically comparing how one marks a corps compared to their peers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Along the way of refining my thinking, is there any kind of objective standard or certification (with an independent certification board) that judges get?

I.E. the same 3 corps winning almost every title for the last.............what........20 years? Oops - Phantom and Madison had one in there. Even then - PR only tied - must have been a glitch.

Have those 3 ALWAYS had the top show, with no one else that maybe should have had it? (89 and 06 come to mind..........)

It is very clear that if the judges aren't generous to BD, Cavies and Cadets, they are pretty much put out to dry - specifically BD and Cavies. It seems they can get away with dissing the Cadets every now and then. I.E. 2006........notice this year Caders weren't scoring so hot - all of a sudden they are neck and neck with Cavies. Looks like same Top 3 again.

Notice 06 GE Visual Judge from finals isn't judging much. Yes Joe Allison is still judging some - even after putting Cavaliers ahead of PR in Music GE. I will even admit - Cavaliers should have won Visual GE, but no way should they have won Music GE in 2006. Not a chance. I was there, and I have a Music Ed degree - so I'm qualified to evaluate that.

Wow............Since 2003 - I have a hard time saying any Cavaliers music caption should have been ahead of anything PR or SCV or Crown does.

Yay machine sound effects!

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

people have tracked the judges before and in fact there was an investigation into a couple of judges last year (though i think it was because of comments on tapes, not scores), but said judges are still judging this year, and nothing has changed.

as long as those in charge are in charge, and the same judges are judging year after year, nothing will be any different.

What's that one famous quote..."if you always do what you've done but expect something different then that's the definition of crazy"! Are we crazy here? Yep.

Edited by KiltieKemo06

Where can you find out what judges judged finals and what years? Just wondering if you can.

www.fromthepressbox.com

typically lists the judges (I think)

But what I'm getting at is whether there has ever been any thought to making the fates of DCI judges not lay in the hands of those who they judge. Its now to a point that even the fan community will complain if someones scores are out of line with prevailing trends.

Seems to me judges must be completely independent.

Edited by Scerpella

I think they check their phone records for calls from this guy:

T1_0720_donaghy.jpg