Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?

kinda goes along with my comment a minute ago.....how do judges judge jazz? How do you go from judging a "technique" based song to a "feel" based song?

You'd have to know what you were talking about, and listening for, first.

Counts most, if not virtually all, out

I was watching Crossmen 1997 the other day, and I was thinking......no one really does shows like that anymore, and it's really unfortunate. It's not like jazz is low-brow music, there's certainly a lot of complexity in jazz music, but it doesn't even seem to be about that, no drum corps is truly doing a JAZZ show this year, or anything remotely groovy. The closest I can remember in recent history would be Bluecoats 2005 and 2006 (who doesn't love that 2nd movement in Bluecoats 06, with the trumpet feature and all that, oh it's great!) But not even the Blue Devils seem to really be playing jazz anymore, the last true show they did was 2004, and a bit in 2005, Dance Derby definitely had a lot of cookin moments in it, but overall everyone is just doing a lot of bland neo-tonal symphonic "drum corps music" (you know...I don't mean this as a bash, but it gets to a point where a lot of shows sound the same. The same approaches to tonality in every arranger, except for Wayne Downey and at times Bocook, but it gets tiresome. Every corps begins their shows with the same fanfare thing in Bb), and it's kind of disappointing. Not that I don't like classical music obviously from all eras, I love Phantom's show, and I LOVE BD's show this year, but I really don't see why there is a lack of delving into the world of jazz repertoire. It's kind of sad that corps have been playing 80s pop songs but not a lick of Duke Ellington or Charles Mingus. That's all I have to say, talk amongst ya selves :(

Th judging community does not give credit for Jazz.

Because no one has ever, yes ever, learned how to swing!!!!!!

dat dat dat dat dt dah dat

Can't the Bluecoats get a little love around here?? Early 90s Blooo could swing sumpin' fierce while other corps that played "jazz" either swung like bricks (95 Cadets swung like a big fat white chick) or had to play the straightest jazz possible (usually something with a latin beat, BD and Madison).

Can't the Bluecoats get a little love around here?? Early 90s Blooo could swing sumpin' fierce while other corps that played "jazz" either swung like bricks (95 Cadets swung like a big fat white chick) or had to play the straightest jazz possible (usually something with a latin beat, BD and Madison).

I agree with your examples but forget Bloo how about that swingin' America break in the Garfield '84 show!!!

Edited by bedford

This thread is really only about the past 3-4 years.

I was watching Crossmen 1997 the other day, and I was thinking......no one really does shows like that anymore, and it's really unfortunate. It's not like jazz is low-brow music, there's certainly a lot of complexity in jazz music, but it doesn't even seem to be about that, no drum corps is truly doing a JAZZ show this year, or anything remotely groovy. The closest I can remember in recent history would be Bluecoats 2005 and 2006 (who doesn't love that 2nd movement in Bluecoats 06, with the trumpet feature and all that, oh it's great!) But not even the Blue Devils seem to really be playing jazz anymore, the last true show they did was 2004, and a bit in 2005, Dance Derby definitely had a lot of cookin moments in it, but overall everyone is just doing a lot of bland neo-tonal symphonic "drum corps music" (you know...I don't mean this as a bash, but it gets to a point where a lot of shows sound the same. The same approaches to tonality in every arranger, except for Wayne Downey and at times Bocook, but it gets tiresome. Every corps begins their shows with the same fanfare thing in Bb), and it's kind of disappointing. Not that I don't like classical music obviously from all eras, I love Phantom's show, and I LOVE BD's show this year, but I really don't see why there is a lack of delving into the world of jazz repertoire. It's kind of sad that corps have been playing 80s pop songs but not a lick of Duke Ellington or Charles Mingus. That's all I have to say, talk amongst ya selves :(

I totally agree. It seems that the concern with cleanliness makes it difficult for jazz to persist. I mean after all, jazz is a bit loose. I wish there was more stuff like Bluecoats 06 or Scouts 03. I would think that even vocals could add to it (singing jazz rythms?).