Opera / Theatre / Ballet / Symphony / Sinfonietti / Jazz Clubs / Museu

I'm kind of curious, let's see where this takes us, but I'm curious as to what arts and what not you all support. I've seen a lot of really irreverent comments made on this board, here are some examples.

"Drum corps is becoming like the Opera"

"I don't pay to see ballet froo froo"

Etc etc, things like this, and comments like this just strike me and incredibly ignorant. Or am I just crazy because I happen to like ballet, opera, theatre, musical theatre and other things. I mean, certainly these venues have larger, more diverse and less fickle/conservative audiences than drum corps does, and they make a lot more money (of course it's about the passion and the art first, but you'd be ####### me if you didn't admit that The Met or whatever other opera house doesn't sell out and doesn't please its patrons). Why is it that drum corps audiences are so conservative, what is this fear of things that are different? Note: I didn't say things that were of sub par quality and different, but good high quality different things. Why is there fear? What is wrong with theatre and the opera and ballet, it is art that has stood the test of time and continue to find room in societies, West and East. It wouldn't hurt some of you to go see a play or something, who knows, maybe you'd like it ;-). God knows more like them than drum corps (not that I don't love me some drum corps).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to go see every good local jazz show I can.

I also play at jam sessions every once in a while.

The Kronos Quartet was in town yesterday, but tickets were sold out when I tried.

I was really disappointed.

Instrumentation is the primary debate on DCP. Amps/Microphones/Electronic Instruments... I don't know how many people would be happy to see Der Freischütz with Agatha's role played by an electric guitar.

I try to go see every good local jazz show I can.

I also play at jam sessions every once in a while.

The Kronos Quartet was in town yesterday, but tickets were sold out when I tried.

I was really disappointed.

OOOoooh I'm so sorry! I'm going to see them in September, Laurie Anderson and Ravi Shanker are going to be down here at some points in the Fall as well. Lots of good music going on.

In addition to being a drum corps fan, I am a member of the Milwaukee Syphony Chorus, so I really enjoy classical music. This has been a great year for us. We've done Chichester Psalms, Beethoven#9, Verdi's Requiem, The Planets (women only) and Bach's B Minor Mass.

AND, in a shameless plug, 90 of us will be joining the Chicago Symphony Chorus, the Chicago Childrens' Chorus, soloists and the CSO in Ravinia this Saturday for a performance of Mahler#8 - The Symphony of a Thousand. Can't wait!!

Currently not as much as I'd like.

Opera about once a year

Met simulcast once a year

Symphony 1-3 times a year

Chamber music- varies greatly

Would go to more if I coulc afford to.

In the past I've sung and played in various groups and did more performing than I currently am doing. At least 5-10 concerts a year and much more some years.

Edited by shawn craig

I am a theatre professional so I have worked extensively with all of the forms you speak of. I think the main reason you see so much discussion is because fans of other art forms have MANY outlets with which to spread their passion. For instance, if you are a jazz fan, there are literally thousands of artists/groups to choose from. If you don't care for one, you simply move on to the next. This is obviously not the case with drum corps (at least in the DCI/DCA realm). There are a few dozen and that's it.

Also, there aren't many art forms and organizations with as well-established and well-revered traditions. One exception is opera, which I think is a good corollary for observing the behaviour of rabid fans of a historical form. Opera fans are just as opinionated, with a wide range of opinions, and can be far more cruel to individuals (as opposed to "shows" or "corps" as a whole) than drum corps fans ever get even on DCP.

I can wholeheartedly state that I think you're wrong on two counts:

1.) It is not ignorant to simply not care for an art form over another. It's a matter of taste, not education level or conservatism.

2.) Drum corps fans are no more rabid and outspoken than fans of any other form. You just so happen to be on this board.

In before the close!

Edited by CreativeType

I think you make some valid points. Perhaps those who do not like some of the things in Drum Corps and want to draw the analogy to " Opera" or " Ballet ", might have been better served to have refined their remarks to be more precise...... such as " BAD Opera...... or " Weak Ballet", etc.

There are inspiring Drum Corps shows.... and uninspiring Drum Corps shows.

You are a Ballet and Opera aficionado, and as such, surely you can relate to the fact that that there is weak ballet performances re foot positioning, leg lifts, pirouettes, and so forth, and in Opera, mediocre or uninspiring vibratos heard in performances. And that as a medium, Opera is as conservative and resistant to change and innovation as it gets. Should a show producer not follow traditions handed down for hunderds of years in his portrayal in his Opera, rest assured, the flak that producer encounters from his conservative Opera goers would make Drum Corps show design producers criticisms seem tame by comparison.

There are uninspiring Opera performances, and weak Ballet performances. And Musical theatre that bombs, despite all the hard work and attempts at creating something new and fresh.

It's not " change " that most fair minded people object too. It's when the " change " simply doesn't work with audiences for one reason or another.

"Blast "was ( and is ) an International Musical Theatre success because it was fresh, creative, energetic, and provided audiences with wonderful music and superb visual movement with gifted performers who knew how to connect with audiences. It was definately " new " at the time....... but most people were not resistant to this " new " concept at all. They embraced it. All over the world. It became a huge profitable success as well.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm kind of curious, let's see where this takes us, but I'm curious as to what arts and what not you all support. I've seen a lot of really irreverent comments made on this board, here are some examples.

"Drum corps is becoming like the Opera"

"I don't pay to see ballet froo froo"

Etc etc, things like this, and comments like this just strike me and incredibly ignorant. Or am I just crazy because I happen to like ballet, opera, theatre, musical theatre and other things. I mean, certainly these venues have larger, more diverse and less fickle/conservative audiences than drum corps does, and they make a lot more money (of course it's about the passion and the art first, but you'd be ####### me if you didn't admit that The Met or whatever other opera house doesn't sell out and doesn't please its patrons). Why is it that drum corps audiences are so conservative, what is this fear of things that are different? Note: I didn't say things that were of sub par quality and different, but good high quality different things. Why is there fear? What is wrong with theatre and the opera and ballet, it is art that has stood the test of time and continue to find room in societies, West and East. It wouldn't hurt some of you to go see a play or something, who knows, maybe you'd like it ;-). God knows more like them than drum corps (not that I don't love me some drum corps).

You want to see art then GO to the Louvre!

You want to see the opera than GO to the Met!

You want to see Drum Corps then stick around here but get off your stinkin high horse and sounding like you're all that! Most if not all of those partrons in those venues you mention would most likely stick their nose up in the air when exposed to corps thinking it was a ""nice little moment" "kinda of like a marching band isn't it?"". Sheesh take your crap and go stink up another forum somewhere else.