Opera / Theatre / Ballet / Symphony / Sinfonietti / Jazz Clubs / Museu

AND, in a shameless plug, 90 of us will be joining the Chicago Symphony Chorus, the Chicago Childrens' Chorus, soloists and the CSO in Ravinia this Saturday for a performance of Mahler#8 - The Symphony of a Thousand. Can't wait!!

I'm going! It is going to be awesome!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen La Boehm, Fiddler on the Roof, Madame Butterfly, Cats and Wicked. Also 3 Cirque shows including "O", Mystere and Ka. I love theater and would go to any of those again in a heartbeat.

In addition to being a drum corps fan, I am a member of the Milwaukee Syphony Chorus, so I really enjoy classical music. This has been a great year for us. We've done Chichester Psalms, Beethoven#9, Verdi's Requiem, The Planets (women only) and Bach's B Minor Mass.

AND, in a shameless plug, 90 of us will be joining the Chicago Symphony Chorus, the Chicago Childrens' Chorus, soloists and the CSO in Ravinia this Saturday for a performance of Mahler#8 - The Symphony of a Thousand. Can't wait!!

Jim

If you are into great harmonies and cool male vocal arraingments, check out the Masters of Harmony, they have a few vids on youtube.

You want to see art then GO to the Louvre!

You want to see the opera than GO to the Met!

You want to see Drum Corps then stick around here but get off your stinkin high horse and sounding like you're all that! Most if not all of those partrons in those venues you mention would most likely stick their nose up in the air when exposed to corps thinking it was a ""nice little moment" "kinda of like a marching band isn't it?"". Sheesh take your crap and go stink up another forum somewhere else.

Opera patrons are EXCEEDINGLY conservative and tradition based in terms of not wanting their genre to have much change too, KiltieKemo06'

If one DOES go to the NY Met for Opera then one realizes that no producer in his right mind would take liberties with instrumentation.... or change the narrative..... or change the story line..... or change the stage set design in a major way..... or change the Opera verse and rhythm of the classics portrayed for hundreds of years by the Masters.

All heck would break loose with the purists following Opera....... you can be certain of that.

That's why the analogy by the OP above of the degree of " change " acceptance between most Drum Corps fans and most Opera patrons simply does not work. Opera patrons on the whole are FAR more resistant to change with their medium than even the most traditional of Drum Corps fans.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh, I don't know about that. A few years back I saw an outdoor production of Rossini's "Cinderella" (forget the title in Italian) on the grounds of some Presidential home in Virginia. They reset the opera to take place in 1950's US suburbs, with the scenery, characters, props etc. to match. Making this type of changes to an old opera/ballet for a new production is quite common.

You want to see art then GO to the Louvre!

You want to see the opera than GO to the Met!

You want to see Drum Corps then stick around here but get off your stinkin high horse and sounding like you're all that! Most if not all of those partrons in those venues you mention would most likely stick their nose up in the air when exposed to corps thinking it was a ""nice little moment" "kinda of like a marching band isn't it?"". Sheesh take your crap and go stink up another forum somewhere else.

You see, it's posts like this that I'm talking about. Maybe you're the one who shouldn't come in HERE and stink things up. We had a great conversation going until you came in here and dumped on everything.

Edited by jeterbeater

You see, it's posts like this that I'm talking about. Maybe you're the one who shouldn't come in HERE and stink things up. We had a great conversation going until you came in here and dumped on everything.

Hey Jeeter, I was waiting for your response. You're right I dumped on everything YOU said. As far as having a great conversation going then you make my point. While we still have free speech, DCP is to me supposed to be about drum corps and NOT anything and everything else someone wants to bring into it. I'm tired of this crap. Take your NON-drum corps post somewhere else. I could care less about the opera, the ballet or anything else. As far as I am concerned you have dumped on everything that is drum corps in bringing UP the question as to why us poor simple drum corps fools don't understand the "better and more refined" things in life. DRUM CORPS is DRUM CORPS not the Bolshoi (sp?). And I won't even mention the fact that you told us that if we tried it we'd LIKE it. What do you really think....we're all a bunch of backwater stupid hillbilly's that have never been exposed to culture? My main point is take your anti-old school drum corps pitch and take it somewhere else. I've heard it all before. You don't like what some of us dinosaurs reference about the ballet, opera, jazz, etc then too bad. THIS IS A DRUM CORPS PLANET! I hate to be negative in any post but this is getting stupid. Flame suit on!

Edited by KiltieKemo06