Why is it...

and the drum major gives the command, "Forward march!", the whole drum line doesn't step off on the command?

I'm always in the first row of horns and this always happens. I've only been in a two corps since 1964, but it happens all the time.

Or, the drum major will tell everyone, once we're stopped during the parade, "When I give Mark time march, I want a roll off and step off on the first note of, "America the Beautiful".

We start up, DM gives the command, there's a roll off and horns come up and we step off on the first note of the song only to be stopped by the bass drums and cymbals, that apparently didn't get the memo. EVERYTIME!

Why is that? If everyone steps together, there is no one to run into. Why do they wait? Don't they trust the snares?

Do they like the horns playing inches from their ears as we wait for them to send the message to their feet to step off?

Were they taught that when the DM gives a command always wait four counts or more before you actually do it?

Perhaps it gives them a sense of power that they don't have to step off when the rest of the corps does.

Maybe the snares put them up to it, "Keep the hornline away from us, when we step off". and that trumps the DM command.

I was just wondering...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each step off follows the last by 2 to 4 counts depending on how tight the intervals are..... no?

That depends.....If you are already in the set block at the intended spacing, the entire block should step off at the same time with the same size step. And conversly when stopping everyone should stop at the same time with the same equal intervals. Otherwise you get the inchworm effect.

That depends.....If you are already in the set block at the intended spacing, the entire block should step off at the same time with the same size step. And conversly when stopping everyone should stop at the same time with the same equal intervals. Otherwise you get the inchworm effect.

Those parade stops can sneak up on you... inch wormin' is required!!!!!

Those parade stops can sneak up on you... inch wormin' is required!!!!!

True.....hopefully there was a little sarcasm in there.

With the high school I teach, the inchworm is not an option! We do not do many parades, however when they do, we have high expectations for them. They know to listen for the whistle. Usually when it gets messed up, it is due to the DM not doing proper whistle commands. The DM regrets that afterwards. Starts and stops are practiced because they happen in the parade.

However I also understand with a larger or more powerful group it can be difficult to hear the commands. We do not have that size group, but I have marched in one. For those situations, we had side commanders also.

Edited by MiniSopGuy

True.....hopefully there was a little sarcasm in there.

With the high school I teach, the inchworm is not an option! We do not do many parades, however when they do, we have high expectations for them. They know to listen for the whistle. Usually when it gets messed up, it is due to the DM not doing proper whistle commands. The DM regrets that afterwards. Starts and stops are practiced because they happen in the parade.

However I also understand with a larger or more powerful group it can be difficult to hear the commands. We do not have that size group, but I have marched in one. For those situations, we had side commanders also.

Never had a whistle blower!!!

Most times the corps I'm with does the step off every two counts method, aka inchworm. Given that most parades I've been in don't do a full stride to start with, and the corps aren't that big, it's generally not a problem. If the parade is doing a full stride or larger, then it's probably a parade that should be done by float, not by foot.

As far as drummers and parades, my main gripe there is them doing their cadence at 180bpm. Like I'm gonna march a 5 mile parade at half steps at that tempo. And like the drumline is either, and finish the parade. Slow it down... We're not getting paid by the note/beat.

If the parade is doing a full stride or larger, then it's probably a parade that should be done by float, not by foot.

Amen to that!

As far as drummers and parades, my main gripe there is them doing their cadence at 180bpm. Like I'm gonna march a 5 mile parade at half steps at that tempo. And like the drumline is either, and finish the parade. Slow it down...

And that too!

Why is it, when you're in a parade, ...that every equestrian unit has the most ever-fed horses in the county?