Why is it...

Well, admit it, you're talking "beer tap" aren't you? :tongue:

That must have been what was really bugging us. Sub-conciously we were thinking of getting a beer after the parade.... and this was the wrong type of tap. :worthy:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wether in practice or a parade the drumline plays every step.

All the more reason for them to be in front. So the hornline can collect and return fallen sticks. And so the contras can hitch a ride on the safety vehicle for those hills.

as a guard person i can't stand drums in front of the hornline in a parade. i've marched parades with both set-ups and it's much better from a guard stand-point if the horns are ahead of the drums.

someone said it's DRUM & Bugle corps, so do we even need the guard there? :huh:

Hey, I'm with you! What about the guard and the AF section? :huh:

I have always paraded with the order of march as corps banner, American Flag section, guard, snares, basses & tenors, cymbals, brass by section with lead sops first. I don't know why the drums are in front of the horns but I guess it has something to do with the full sound of the unit going down the street.

As for Marty's OP, our AF section has it's own commands and keeps the parade pace if we are marching for a group like the Elks in Wildwood. Then the DM gives the "forward march" command for the drummers and the horns follow in 4. Our 4 pace interval gets messed up when one of our tunes drags so when we stop, we make it up. Our snares got those new half drums so they really pick up the cadence now and we are able to take a full step. What a relief that is!

My solution - who needs drums anyway???!!!

I've been a member of the hornline in Chops for 6 years now, and we have yet to do a parade with the drumline. They're usually about 10 units back, and the colorguard is typically about 10 units in front of us.

And yes, we play the whole parade. Without the crutch of a drum cadence to take a rest. :huh:

All the more reason for them to be in front. So the hornline can collect and return fallen sticks. And so the contras can hitch a ride on the safety vehicle for those hills.

now that's funny......... :huh:

Hey, I'm with you! What about the guard and the AF section? :huh:

I have always paraded with the order of march as corps banner, American Flag section, guard, snares, basses & tenors, cymbals, brass by section with lead sops first. I don't know why the drums are in front of the horns but I guess it has something to do with the full sound of the unit going down the street.

As for Marty's OP, our AF section has it's own commands and keeps the parade pace if we are marching for a group like the Elks in Wildwood. Then the DM gives the "forward march" command for the drummers and the horns follow in 4. Our 4 pace interval gets messed up when one of our tunes drags so when we stop, we make it up. Our snares got those new half drums so they really pick up the cadence now and we are able to take a full step. What a relief that is!

I know I'm just used to the set up of guard, drums, then horns. I've always marched that way, with the exception of a few experiments by Yaklich in the mid 70s.

A lot of times, my wife has taken videos of us in parades and it is much more impressive to see the honor guard, followed by a whole rank of flags. It really looks cool - flag work or not and it just adds so much to the classiness of the corps.

I know I'm just used to the set up of guard, drums, then horns. I've always marched that way, with the exception of a few experiments by Yaklich in the mid 70s.

A lot of times, my wife has taken videos of us in parades and it is much more impressive to see the honor guard, followed by a whole rank of flags. It really looks cool - flag work or not and it just adds so much to the classiness of the corps.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't know if it's just that we are used to seeing it that way but when I see a corps coming down the street, it's awesome to see the AF section and the guard first with flags blowing. When I see the guard flags in the distance, I know it's a drum and bugle corps and I usually know which one by the flags.

My brother is the Rebels' AF captain and he makes sure they look good coming down the street. He does the same at the shows. He says it's the first thing anybody sees of our corps and he takes great pride in presenting them.

We were in a parade one time (juniors) and our Guard captain led the Corps down the wrong street. I can't tell you what we called him after that! :huh: