Score observation...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but GE, which is the most design-weighted caption, has gone from 20 to 30 to 40 points over the years. Roll it back to 30 points and you will likely see more fluidity.

I'm sure that is how they intended it to be. Good luck rolling that back with the current set of power brokers in the activity.

Edited by Tekneek

I'm sure that is how they intended it to be. Good luck rolling that back with the current set of power brokers in the activity.

seriously. I would not be surprised if one of the "powers" proposes a 10 pt caption for Corps Director. It would have subcaptions for blogging, angst and personal grooming (or lack of).

Nothing wrong with the current system. RARELY does the wrong corps (in my opinion) win. I do think that it is harder to judge the bottom 9-14 corps and some times the fans are not happy with their fav corps placement. Judging is a difficult task and there is a BIG difference between what a fan hears and what a judge hears at point blank range.

Nothing wrong with the current system. RARELY does the wrong corps (in my opinion) win. I do think that it is harder to judge the bottom 9-14 corps and some times the fans are not happy with their fav corps placement. Judging is a difficult task and there is a BIG difference between what a fan hears and what a judge hears at point blank range.

Perhaps some statistical analysis might demonstrate any differences between the way the numbers are coming out these days compared to 10, 15, 20, and 25 or so years ago (obviously intending to not go into the tick system, which would really throw it off). There is definitely a perception out there that the performance of each corps on each day has minimal impact on their scores for that day or the progression of those points throughout the summer. I cannot help feeling that corps are often judged on reputation first and performance second. It is the major flaw in any subjective judging process.

Perhaps some statistical analysis might demonstrate any differences between the way the numbers are coming out these days compared to 10, 15, 20, and 25 or so years ago (obviously intending to not go into the tick system, which would really throw it off). There is definitely a perception out there that the performance of each corps on each day has minimal impact on their scores for that day or the progression of those points throughout the summer. I cannot help feeling that corps are often judged on reputation first and performance second. It is the major flaw in any subjective judging process.

The sheets have been adjusted over the years, so no clear comparison may be made. Judging is the examination of the "what" (content, complexity) and the "how" (performance level). You have to have both to accurately judge. It is not fair for a group to do a much easier show, perform it flawlessly and get more credit than a group doing some thing more challenging, not as flawlessly. This is the sticking point for most. Many people (including some judges and most fans) are not able to evaluate the "what" as well as needed.

seriously. I would not be surprised if one of the "powers" proposes a 10 pt caption for Corps Director. It would have subcaptions for blogging, angst and personal grooming (or lack of).

And we all know who'd win THAT one... :tongue:

Maybe it's just me (and this would be the place to disprove me), but it seems to me that there isn't much "back-and-forth" scoring these days. Once a corps passes another corps, that seems to be it. For example, if we look at scores back in 1988...

It's interesting that this example is from a year when there was a 6 judge panel, as opposed to the current 9 or 11. More judges should translate into less variance in the final score just based on the law of averages.

Many people (including some judges and most fans) are not able to evaluate the "what" as well as needed.

Sure, but a review of the numbers and placements would verify whether it is all in our heads or not. If we 'think' there were more placement and score swings 20 years ago, and we prefer that, then that is as far as we have to go.

I know all about the boxes for design and the boxes for execution. Anybody who has marched in DCI has probably been given at least a crash course in how that works.

It's interesting that this example is from a year when there was a 6 judge panel, as opposed to the current 9 or 11. More judges should translate into less variance in the final score just based on the law of averages.

An interesting point.